Maat Tarot study group - King of Swords

Strange2

King of Swords
Week of the Full Moon in Aries (Oct. 6 2006)
Planetary ruler Venus

For image and info, see:
http://www.newmoontradingco.com/moon/fullmoonaries.htm

Per the Maat book: "The full moon phase symbolizes generosity and the need to give to others. This phase implies an intuitive and objective understanding of self and others."

"He is the protector of the realm, and willing to sacrifice himself for the health and welfare of the people and the land he loves. He is not the 'aggressor' but the 'defender' meaning he will only use his power to defend and protect."

The first thing I noted is that the King's sword remains in its scabbard, with vines growing over it, showing that it has not been used in many months. This indicates that the King has willingly chosen not to actively use it, yet the swords stands ready.

His right hand is in a fist, cupped and restrained by his left hand. He seems to be waiting patiently but expectantly, poised to take action if needed. His open mouth and gaze gives the impression that he is about to address someone just off stage, as if his time has now come to speak. One of the attributes in other decks is that the King of Swords can be symbolized as the Spokesperson.

This King seems to a man of few words, incorruptible, living as One with the land and his kingdom, with a total commitment to protect and preserve.

greycats

Strange2 said:
The first thing I noted is that the King's sword remains in its scabbard, with vines growing over it, showing that it has not been used in many months.

Yes, the vine is ivy, I think. Ivy has protective functions in folklore: growing around a house, it protects those inside. It's traditional in wedding decor. In pagan lore, the ivy leaf is a symbol of the great goddess. The sword, one might say, is sheathed in ivy.

The king, clothed in green, seems to be a forest king. The deer horns that crown him are more evidence of this idea. Traces of red among the leaves and in the sky remind us that all is not as peaceful as it may look.

A celestial body appears between the deer horns. The image of a deer with the full moon between the horns is a traditional one for moon magic to many pagans. It may also indicate sacrifice--a deer about to be hunted. However, the body seems to me to be the sun, either rising or setting.

As a pagan, there's a lot about this card that reminds me of the Winter Solstice, (rising of the sun, the running of the deer) but the green, apparently deciduous trees seem to say otherwise.

annik

He seems to be in a darker area of the forest. For me, it's mean the real things, with predators eating their preys and all the natural cycle of the forest. It's about survival. Ir'a not about cruelty. I feel more that this man represent more the balance between life and death in the forest.

Le Fanu

I find this card odd. Such a Pagan image, from the mythic forest & all that; ivy, antlers, a forest clearing, and yet in the book she writes;

"In the MAAT Tarot, the King of Swords is the "risen" Jesus of Nazareth under the guise of Joseph of Arimathea, the name of his father. He is now the maimed King having suffered physical injuries after taking on the Roman authroities"

Try as I might I just see nothing of Jesus or Christianity in this image. I've been thinking about it & looking at it since yesterday and it just seems so beautifully & utterly Pagan...

Penthasilia

IDS King of Swords

Card/#: King of Swords/6

First Impression: The man in this picture reminds me of the Emperor in many ways. He is not like the cold, dictator-like king of swords seen in other decks, but a man of the home and hearth whose purpose is protecting his own.

Card Description: An old man sits in a forest with a contemplative look on his face, his hands resting lightly in his lap though his sword is nearby. He is cloaked in green and wearing antlers, further tying his image to the land. The setting sun shines through the trees in the background.

Feminine/Masculine/Neutral: Masculine

Colors: green, brown, yellow and orange

Senses: you can smell the clean leaves of the forest mixed with a lovely tobacco/pipe smoke, the taste fruity and smoky in your mouth. The soft sounds of birds and insects sing in your ears. The air is damp, but not cool and rests lightly against your skin.

Symbols: the aged king, antlers, sword, green cloak, forest

Story (intuitive): I see him, sitting quietly on a fallen tree. He looks at me, eyes faded from age yet sparkling with wisdom. He gestures, "Come, sit down with me." and I do. He is silent for a while, and my mind wanders- remembering the rash aggression of the prince, and how different this gentle king is from his son. The king smiles gently, as if hearing my thoughts, and begins to speak, "Yes, my son reminds me of how I used to be in my youth; hot-headed and impulsive.". He chuckles, "Life teaches you quickly the way.". The king pulls out an old pipe, lighting it and the glowing ember mixes with a beautifully smelling smoke. "When I was young, I had not learned the lesson that I know now. Aggression alone serves nothing. I sit here, and I know my duty; to protect my family and home, to protect what is mine. Sometimes, this requires fighting, and perhaps giving up your life. But most times, it demands a more difficult sacrifice- work. Working for the benefit of your family, your home, you ideals and beliefs. I have found that men do not typically attack a strong home, but like vultures they prey on the weak. It is a lesson that I am trying to teach my son, so he may know and understand and can take care of all this when I am gone.". He smiles gently at me and sits back, silently smoking his pipe. Suddenly, I am flooded with images of my grandfather, my dziadzia (in Polish, prounounced JAH-jah) and the gentleness of this king reminds me so much of him. And now, seeing my father taking on that role and his transformation from a hot-tempered man to the gentle-fierce protector. And it expands further, back to my ancestors passing down their heritage and forward to my son, and his children. The enormity of the continuum hits me and I look at the old king, who is watching me shrewdly. He smiles, and nods, "You now understand.". I smile, tears in my eyes, and am grateful for the wisdom he has so generously given. We sit together silently and enjoy the peace of the woods.

Astrologic: the week of the full moon in Aries. Planetary ruler: Venus.

Element: fire and earth

Keywords: protector, wounded king, ancestor

Meanings: protector of his own, willing to put his life on the line. Generally pertains to a married and mature man with the zodiac sign of Libra.

Quote: "I will protect what is mine."

Attachments

• kingofswords.jpg
    kingofswords.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 246

juliecucciawatts

Card/#: King of Swords/6

Story (intuitive): I see him, sitting quietly on a fallen tree. He looks at me, eyes faded from age yet sparkling with wisdom. He gestures, "Come, sit down with me." and I do. He is silent for a while, and my mind wanders- remembering the rash aggression of the prince, and how different this gentle king is from his son. The king smiles gently, as if hearing my thoughts, and begins to speak, "Yes, my son reminds me of how I used to be in my youth; hot-headed and impulsive.". He chuckles, "Life teaches you quickly the way.". The king pulls out an old pipe, lighting it and the glowing ember mixes with a beautifully smelling smoke. "When I was young, I had not learned the lesson that I know now. Aggression alone serves nothing. I sit here, and I know my duty; to protect my family and home, to protect what is mine. Sometimes, this requires fighting, and perhaps giving up your life. But most times, it demands a more difficult sacrifice- work. Working for the benefit of your family, your home, you ideals and beliefs. I have found that men do not typically attack a strong home, but like vultures they prey on the weak. It is a lesson that I am trying to teach my son, so he may know and understand and can take care of all this when I am gone.". He smiles gently at me and sits back, silently smoking his pipe. Suddenly, I am flooded with images of my grandfather, my dziadzia (in Polish, prounounced JAH-jah) and the gentleness of this king reminds me so much of him. And now, seeing my father taking on that role and his transformation from a hot-tempered man to the gentle-fierce protector. And it expands further, back to my ancestors passing down their heritage and forward to my son, and his children. The enormity of the continuum hits me and I look at the old king, who is watching me shrewdly. He smiles, and nods, "You now understand.". I smile, tears in my eyes, and am grateful for the wisdom he has so generously given. We sit together silently and enjoy the peace of the woods.

I love this! especially that he is smoking a pipe...this means something to me.

Penthasilia

I love this! especially that he is smoking a pipe...this means something to me.

Thanks Julie- I honestly don't know where that came from, it just DID- if that makes any sense. I do love this card- it has me anxious to return home for Thanksgiving :)

Ivy Rhiannon

Aw a beautiful story Pent!!! Thanks for sharing :D