Morinus Versions 5.5/6.0

Minderwiz

Morinus versions 5.5 (Traditional) and 6.0 (Full) have been released a few days ago. Some of the most noteworthy changes are:

Charts can be saved as .png meaning that they can then be uploaded to Aeclectic without any conversion at all.

Many calculated points can now be shown on the chat - such as Primary Directions or Hellenistic Lots (Arabic Parts)

For me, the most interesting development is that the calculation of Lots now allows other Lots to be referenced (providing that you have already specified their calculation) and you can also use specific degrees in the calculation. These changes allow the calculation of many lots that could not previously be calculated and indeed Morinus is the only program that I'm aware of that allows this.

I'm feeling a new thread coming on :)

Roy

are the calculations for primary directions fixed?
there's no software in the world that does it right

Minderwiz

are the calculations for primary directions fixed?
there's no software in the world that does it right

It depends what you mean by 'right'. I don't think there is an 'absolute' right method, as PDs have a history of well over 2.000 years and have been altered and adapted over that period. What is 'right' depends to a significant extent on what period you wish to emulate and the emphasis you place on certain factors in the calculation. There are of course 'wrong' methods which are mistaken in terms of the calculations involved or in terms of implementation of methods. We're into an area where at the highest level, subjective judgement plays a role.

Morinus offers a range of options with Primaries, including:

Placidus (both under the pole and semi arc), Regiomontanus and Campanus systems;

Mundane and Zodiacal (with or without latitude), including option to use zodiacal with promissor, significator or both (and Bianchini as an option for the latter)

Complete choice of promissors or significators, including house cusps, Terms, Nodes (either or both) and syzygy, Fixed Stars (in turn selectable) and antiscia

Allowance for secondary motion of the Moon,

Range of Primary Keys both dynamic and static (the latter has Naibod, Cardan, Ptolemy and user defined)

Converse aspects in the Traditional sense and in the modern sense

The above cover the options for the Traditional version, there are more options in many categories for the Full Version.

In his book on Primary Directions, Martin Gansten rates Morinus as far surpassing most commerical programs in its handling of PDs and recommends it strongly. That book was published before the most recent additions.

Roy

i do the calculations by hand, when i use software the calculations are wrong by a few years, i don't know why its wrong

have u tried doing it by hand and checking the software's calculations?

Minderwiz

i do the calculations by hand, when i use software the calculations are wrong by a few years, i don't know why its wrong

have u tried doing it by hand and checking the software's calculations?

I have cross checking the calculations that Gansten used in his book, As I got different results, I double checked his method (and mine) completely. It came down to him using a sidereal zodiac and then converting his positions to tropical for the PD calculations and then converting his answers back to sidereal. Allowing for this I got the same answers as him.

Gansten rates Morinus as coming up with accurate answers. I have no reason to doubt him but there is a detailed explanation of Morinus use of PDs on the website

https://sites.google.com/site/pymorinus/

Gansten is of the belief that primaries, whether by software of by hand can and do have an error term - we are dealing with a stochastic variable not a deterministic one. As someone whose mathematical background is statistics I must admit to a bias here and take primaries as being stochastic.

However, that should still mean that a calculation either by hand or by software which uses the same equations should come to the same predictions (to which an error term should be added). To the extent that the programmer or the calculator uses differing formulae or values, the difference in results should be predictable (assuming we know both models)

Minderwiz

Installing/Updating

I've given the installation instructions for Morinus in the thread

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=170384

As well as further comments at the beginning of the Horary DIY thread.

For those of you updating to v5.5/6.0 DO NOT delete the old version before installing the new. They can both run side by side, however if you have saved horoscopes and charts these can be transferred to the new version.

I'll assume you have Morinus 4.8 installed but the same instructions hold for any other version. Install Morinus 5.5 and then enter the Morinus 4.8 main folder. Copy the sub folders Hors and Images and paste them into the main folder of Morinus 5.5. You should get a message telling you that the files already exist and asking you if you want to replace them. Select the option to replace the folders. This transfers all your previous saved horoscopes and chat images.

If you installed the Swiss Ephemeris in version 4.8 then you will also need to copy the folder SWEP and paste it into the main folder of Morinus 5.5. Again you will be told the file exists and asked if you want to replace it.

There three directories are interchangeable between the Full and Traditional versions of Morinus and between the various versions. This saves a lot of effort on set up and keeps saved work. Once this is done you can remove the old versions.

You will still need to personalise Morinus and set the house system, minor dignities etc. Don't forget to check automatic save in the options menu to keep your settings from session to session.

I'm thinking of doing a thread on Hellenistic Lots/Arabic Parts as for the first time, we have free software that allows all the key Lots/Parts to be calculated. The use of these can significantly extend your armoury of techniques, whether you use a modern or traditional approach.

dadsnook2000

Parts & Lots

Minderwiz, I have several programs that produce charts and lists of Arabian parts as well as Sabian symbols and other symbolic degrees. I use the Part of Fortune extensively in the Moon-to-Sun Return chart techniques that I am developing ---- it plays a very key role in the interpretation process for these charts. I would like to see interest from the list in this topical area as it would expand the "locked into the natal chart" syndrome of many early-studies students as well as being a fun and interesting topic to explore. Dave

Minderwiz

Minderwiz, I have several programs that produce charts and lists of Arabian parts as well as Sabian symbols and other symbolic degrees. I use the Part of Fortune extensively in the Moon-to-Sun Return chart techniques that I am developing ---- it plays a very key role in the interpretation process for these charts. I would like to see interest from the list in this topical area as it would expand the "locked into the natal chart" syndrome of many early-studies students as well as being a fun and interesting topic to explore. Dave

Yes I agree that we need to encourage a development from the natal chart into the realms of prediction. That's not an easy bridge for the beginner to cross but the Lots/Parts at least show a possible route, having clear roots in the natal chart (or any other event or horary chart) and providing a means to move from there to look at other issues.

I'll start such a thread and at the appropriate moment you can come in with your new technique, as I'm sure it will be of interest (it certainly is of interest to me).

Minderwiz

I've now started the thread on Lots/Parts, It's worth pointing out that the Lots editor that allows the full range of calculations is only included in the Traditional version of Morinus (now 5.6 as from today). So it's the Traditional version I'll be using for the thread, That's a pity as I see some users of the outers or chiron or even asteroids might find such an editor useful.

Barleywine

I've given the installation instructions for Morinus in the thread

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=170384

As well as further comments at the beginning of the Horary DIY thread.

For those of you updating to v5.5/6.0 DO NOT delete the old version before installing the new. They can both run side by side, however if you have saved horoscopes and charts these can be transferred to the new version.

I'll assume you have Morinus 4.8 installed but the same instructions hold for any other version. Install Morinus 5.5 and then enter the Morinus 4.8 main folder. Copy the sub folders Hors and Images and paste them into the main folder of Morinus 5.5. You should get a message telling you that the files already exist and asking you if you want to replace them. Select the option to replace the folders. This transfers all your previous saved horoscopes and chat images.

If you installed the Swiss Ephemeris in version 4.8 then you will also need to copy the folder SWEP and paste it into the main folder of Morinus 5.5. Again you will be told the file exists and asked if you want to replace it.

There three directories are interchangeable between the Full and Traditional versions of Morinus and between the various versions. This saves a lot of effort on set up and keeps saved work. Once this is done you can remove the old versions.

You will still need to personalise Morinus and set the house system, minor dignities etc. Don't forget to check automatic save in the options menu to keep your settings from session to session.

I'm thinking of doing a thread on Hellenistic Lots/Arabic Parts as for the first time, we have free software that allows all the key Lots/Parts to be calculated. The use of these can significantly extend your armoury of techniques, whether you use a modern or traditional approach.

I had an interesting experience when copying over my saved charts from version 4.5. I was able to open them and work with them in the new version, but when I tried to save my changes I got an "Error with Chart" message and the changes were lost. Turns out that in Windows 7 (and probably in Vista as well), I had to go into the security module and set the permissions individually so that both Administrator and User have full access. I tried doing it at the HORS folder level but that wasn't enough. After I set each chart file's access parameters I had no further problems.