Cat's Eye Tarot

catdoc

three of cups

Another card takes its place in my slowly growing collection of images. This is the first card for which I felt inspired to include a human figure among the cats.

The following link includes a first draft description of the card meanings as well as the image.

http://www.catdocmaine.com/mytarot/javascript/three.html

feedback is welcome

Deb

baba-prague

Well, I'm really chuffed (British expression I think) to be the first to respond. I think this is a GREAT card. It says a lot of things that I relate to totally - very evocative - it feels very "real" - as so much of your work does. I also really like the piece that you've written.

ferrous

I have to say (again) how amazed I am that I'm enjoying your growing deck. I'm really, really not into cats but I'm loving your deck despite myself. lol! :D

The artwork is absolutely top notch. When I saw you post about having a person in the card, my first thought was, "Uh oh. She draws cats well, but how well is she going to draw a person?" I see so many really bad drawings of people around ..

Let me digress for a moment on that particular topic. There's a wooden traffic noise control wall thing near where some friends of mine live, way on the other side of town to me. It's been painted to help brighten it up a bit. The pictures are mostly of children & babies. Some of the faces are almost well done, but most of them are done in that not-quite-right way that always shows when the artist isn't terribly accomplished. Some of the babies, in fact, look downright evil! :D

So anyway, I guess my point is that your person looks real, not evil at all, & is really well done. Congratulations on really fantastic artwork through all of your deck. :)

yve

I think that this is a very expressive deck so far! Charming and the symbolic meanings keep true to the traditional decks. Can hardly wait for you to publish it and to have it in my hot little hands!

catdoc

Thank you Ferrous.
I know what you mean about those not quite right drawings of people. I must admit I am not experienced or terribly confident of my ability to render the human form. You notice the figure in my painting is not looking directly at the viewer :) Human faces are dificult to capture.

Shirley (the woman in the painting) would have been all over me if I had created an 'evil' depiction. As it is she found the left hand and arm a bit off. I had reference photos of her with the neighborhood cats to use when I made the drawing. That helps me get the proportions and perspective right most of the time.

Deb

ferrous

catdoc said:
Shirley (the woman in the painting) would have been all over me if I had created an 'evil' depiction. As it is she found the left hand and arm a bit off.
I can't see it (the left hand & arm problem) but then again, maybe the scan just doesn't show that much detail. Regardless, I think it's excellent. :)

ambermoon

This deck grows more wonderful with each new card. Until you called our attention to it, I didn't notice that the left arm is in a position that might be uncomfortable if held too long, but it's completely within the realm of movement. It's fine, and don't tell your friend, but we tend to focus on the sweet cats.

I was just thinking how my one very affectionate Aby (the Amber of my screen name) can generate the whole 3 of Cups energy all by herself.

ambermoon

Chronata

I haven't posted here before, but I do really love your work.
So beautiful and inspiring.
The three of cups may just be one of my favorite 3 of cups card in any deck I have seen!

Really fabulous! Thanks for sharing such incredible vision with us!

Owlface

Cat's eye tarot

dear catdoc,
Have just stumbled upoon this thread, which led me to tarotforlife which led me to your own page. I LOVE these cat images-they stay true to the Tarot and to cats themselves.Clearly you get a lot of practice observing them through your work, but it's not just observation-real love and respect shine through here. The Death card is just so right-the cat's expression says it all !

when these are published (I hope very much they will be) I'll be delighted to order a deck.

best wishes to you and cats,

rosyelf

CreativeFire

Catdoc, I have just discovered this thread and found your lovely Cat's Eye Tarot!! I am a cat lover myself and found your paintings absolutely charming and very well done. You certainly have a talent for capturing the 'nature' of the cats on your cards. :)

I also had to show my mother your deck as well, as she is another huge cat fan and a hobbyist painter in her retirement. Even though she is not into the tarot very much, she said that she wants a copy of this deck when it is finished and one for her sister who is a cat breeder! So we will both be looking forward to seeing your cards as you progress through the minors! ;)

I like all your cards so far but I really love your 'Star' - beautiful! Also the 'Justice' card is so cleverly done with the reflection in the glass of the scales! :D

CreativeFire (now wishing she could paint something other than walls!)