Hellenistic Astrology

Ronia

Minderwiz, how can I know if a second marriage is in the chart? I didn't see any Marriage lot in my analisys, I checked again, where is it and what to look for? Also, I was wondering, since in our today's world legal signing is not mandatory, is there a way to distinguish a legal marriage from a common law or similar? Are they going to appear in the chart as marriages too and should they be assessed the same way as legal marriage? Thanks. :)

Minderwiz

PNA for Jessyboo92 - Part 1

Your Ascendant is in Sagittarius, and the Sun is below the horizon in the fifth house, so this is a nocturnal birth. Your Ascendant ruler is Jupiter which is placed in the tenth House in Virgo, ruled by Mercury. The first steps are to examine each of these two planets.

Jupiter

Jupiter is strongly placed in the tenth House using Whole Sign Houses, and Jupiter is Rising (free from the Sun's beams) but Jupiter is Retrograde, and is in none of its own dignities, though being in the Decan of the Sun, it is in the place of a sectmate. Its overall fitness level is reduced through retrogradation and having little dignity to act well. It is also the out of sect benefic, as this is a nocturnal chart.

Jupiter is in a 'Foreign Trigon', meaning that it is not one of the Triplicity Rulers for the Earth Triplicity and it does not make any phase changes with the Sun around your birthday. In a quadrant house system Jupiter would show up in the ninth house, if you used a quadrant system, so it is not near an astronomical angle. This suggests that Jupiter has low energy.

Jupiter is in the eighth House from the Lot of Fortune, and whilst this is a succedent house, there may be issues of Jupiter contributing to your overall health and fortune. Jupiter is separated from the Moon (not in either an applying or separating aspect with her) and in a bicorporeal (mutable) sign, which tend not to be associated with the ability to see things through.

both Rhetorius and Firmicus say that Jupiter in the tenth by night makes honourable and handsome people but ones who may fall victim to being cheated. Firmicus goes on to say that in Virgo it produces courteious, well bred, modest, succesful and faithful people.

Jupiter makes only two aspects, it has oppositions to Mars and Venus, which are placed in the fourth Sign/House of Pisces. Jupiter and Mars in opposition may produced unstable lives and possible disagreements with friends. Jupiter opposed to Venus may adversely affect advancement and promotion. There may be troubles with friends but income is always ikely to increase, modestly.

Mercury

Mercury is placed in Aries in the fifth House. It is in a succedent House but is Retrograde and under the Sun's beams, it is therefore neither Direct, nor Rising (that is it is not visible in the sky). It does rise above the Horizon before the Sun, and so it is classified as being a Diurnal planet (if it sets after the Sun, it is classified as nocturnal). Mercury is in the Bounds of Jupiter, so it is in the place of a sectmate. In a quadrant house chart, Mercury would be within 5 degrees of the IC, in the third house, so it qualifies as being 'goaded to action' and it has a helical rising one week after you were born. so it is quite busy at this period. It is in a Foreign Trigon, as Mercury has no dignity in the Fire Triplicity.

Mercury is in a cadent House relative to the Lot of Fortune, and is in a separating aspect from the Moon. Mercury is in Aries which is a Cardinal sign. These are at best middling postions relative to completion and seeing things through. Mercury's main problems though are that it is under the beams and retrograde and has no real essential dignity.

Mercury in the fifth is good for making money and long lived and blessed children, when in a Morning rising. At the time of birth, Mercury is astronomically rising before the Sun but cannot be seen, but I don't see any reason to modify those statements much if at all. Mercury in Aries Mercury makes two aspects, both of them are sextiles to planets in Aquarius. As these are earlier in the zodiac than Mercury in all cases they will tend to overcome Mercury (they are the stronger side of the sextile)

Mercury's sextiles are to Saturn and Moon. The waning Moon moving towards Mercury can be a sign of indecision. i.e. difficulties making up your mind. Saturn is in it's own sign of Aquarius, and though it is the out of sect malefic, it might act as a stabilising influnece, if not always for the good.

Moon

Moon is the Sect Light and is in the third House of Aquarius, ruled by Saturn and in the Bounds of Jupiter. The Moon is waning, that is it's power is diminishing. In the Bounds of Jupiter it makes the native prosperous, successful and respectable when it is Full, but when waning, it can indicate some misfortunes if care is not taken. As with Saturn the Moon is conjunct the Lot of Fortune and so it may well play an important role in taking advantages of opportunities and avoiding threats.

It is not strongly placed as it's in a cadent house, but it does aspect the Ascendant and the ruler of the Lot of Fortune (Saturn). It has no dignity in Aquarius, nor is it in any of the dignities of a sectmate. It is quite low on Energy but it strong on Completion being with the Lot of Fortune and also being in a Fixed sign.

The Moon is conjunct by sign to Saturn. Indeed it's conjunction with Saturn is close, being less than three degrees. Often the Moon with Saturn was seen as rendering the native prone to fears, usually exaggerated or unfounded. Here Saturn is dignified, so I don't see this as being particularly threatening. Even so, you might need to watch any tendencey to worry without reason., or to feel threatened.

The Moon also sextiles Mercury (already coverd) and the Sun. This can indicated rewards and good fortune, which are more likely to show up if the Moon is waxing and both are free from aspects with malefics and well placed in the chart. I don't think your chart is strong enough to draw this conclusion but this aspect is going to a t least have a positive effect.

Saturn

The last planet I'll deal with in Part 1 is Saturn, as it is the ruler of the Sect Light and also ruler of the Lot of Fortune. Saturn is in his own sign of Aquarius and positioned in the third House. He aspects the Ascendant, but the third house is cadent. Saturn is Rising and Direct but is not particularly energetic (not angular and has no phase change with the Sun but is in his own Trigon). Being with the Lot of Fortune and in Fixed Sign gives Saturn strong powers of completion and he is in aspect with the Moon withing three degrees.

Saturn is conjunct with Moon, Saturn's conjunction with the Moon has already been mentioned. He also sextiles Mercury which has also been mentioned. Saturn's other aspect is a sextile to the Sun in Aries. In a day chart this is a good aspect, promising promotions during the career and some fame. The same seems to be true of a nocturnal birth but whereas in a day chart it also promises good fortune for the native's parents, here it is supposed to indicate that the native may have to help their parents out by drawing on their own resources. Being in a nocturnal chart, and the out of sect malefic, Saturn is supposed to be the main cause of your problems. Here he is at least in his own sign. So I would not see him as particularly malefic but he might still be a little quirky.

Part 2 to follow

Minderwiz

Minderwiz, how can I know if a second marriage is in the chart? I didn't see any Marriage lot in my analisys, I checked again, where is it and what to look for? Also, I was wondering, since in our today's world legal signing is not mandatory, is there a way to distinguish a legal marriage from a common law or similar? Are they going to appear in the chart as marriages too and should they be assessed the same way as legal marriage? Thanks. :)

The trouble is that there are at least six different calculations for the Lot of Marriage, from a variety of Astrologers, over 600 years or so.

However, these tend to use the same planets, and points though differently configured. For you I can see

3 of the in Sagittarius
1 in Gemini
1 in Aries
1 in Libra

Four out of the six are in double bodied signs (Sagittarius and Gemini), so I'd take that as a preliminary indicator of more than one marriage.

There's also a 'Lot of the Wedding' which Dorotheus cites, and that too is in Gemini.

I'll have a look to see if there are other indicators mentioned

Minderwiz

Addendum

Dorotheus says that if Venus falls in a bi-corporeal sign (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces) it indicates more than one marriage

He also says that:

...if you want to know how men she will marry, count from the Midheaven to Mars....whatever the number of planets between these two say that this is the number she will marry'

Now this would give an answer of 4 marriages (Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Moon) but he goes on to say:

If you find Venus cadent from the midheaven, say that there is little constancy towards women in men and say similarly in the women with respect to their husbands if you find Mars in the seventh

I taken it that the first part of the sentence relates only to male nativities, so on that score we can ignore your Venus, cadent from the midheaven (that is the tenth whole sign house). But you do have Mars in the seventh, so the latter part of the sentence seems to apply to you.

Now I'm not sure what he means exactly by constancy' here, but the obvious connotation is that your relationships will be relatively short lived.

There is of course absolutely no reason, why he has to be right.

Ronia

Oh. Oh. :D I see the Lots of Marriage are tricky stuff. Then the counting and the four marriages seems a bit too much to me but if we take a serious relationship and common law into account, then I have only one left for the future. By the way, he meant counting backwards? Because if we count from Midheaven towards Ascendant, then only Jupiter is in the way to Mars... Short lived is a relative term, so I'm not concerned. To one a year is short, to another - five.

P.S. Given the time when these astrologers lived, I rather take "consistency" as being with only one person for all your life, even if he dies, no marrying another, etc.

Minderwiz

Oh. Oh. :D I see the Lots of Marriage are tricky stuff. Then the counting and the four marriages seems a bit too much to me but if we take a serious relationship and common law into account, then I have only one left for the future. By the way, he meant counting backwards? Because if we count from Midheaven towards Ascendant, then only Jupiter is in the way to Mars... Short lived is a relative term, so I'm not concerned. To one a year is short, to another - five.

Hmmm.... an interesting point about the direction of counting But as the MC starts at 0 Libra, you have a point. but that does give, Venus, Sun and Jupiter if we go in the direction of signs rather than the direction of houses (and the diurnal rotation of the Earth). I think your interpreation is probably what he meant, on a re-read.

But Venus is still cadent from the MC and Mars is still in the seventh so the 'lack of constancy' clause still applies and as I read it, that clause allows you to have as many relationships as you want - the only condition appears to be that none of them will be long lived.

Mind you as 'wander lust' kicks in , they will have to face the choice of moving with you or giving up the relationship - at least till you get too old to qualify for travel insurance :D

Edited to add:

Your Stage 4 is coming up. as I have had no reply from Spiralling for her Stage 3 reading. Ideally I'd like to calibrate my reading for your future events in your past. I tried to do something similar a month or two ago with the data you gave me relating to your employment history. We could try that again, with the aim of a prediction for when you will get employed or we could try a different area, such as health or possibly romance.

Let me know what you prefer and I'll try and work something out.

Minderwiz

Jessyboo92 PNA - Part 2

and the Ruler of the Sect Light. That leaves three planets remaining:

Mars

Mars is the in-sect Malefic and is placed in Pisces, the fourth Place along with Venus.

Mars is thus in an angular House, and he is Rising and Direct and in the place of a sectmate (the exaltation of Venus) Mars is thus quite strongly placed by Fitness.

He is not angular in a quadrant system and has no phase changes with the Sun but he is in his own Trigon (Mars is a Triplicity Ruler for Water)

He is in a succedent House relative to Fortune but is separated from the Moon and in a bi-coporeal Sign (Pisces) which does not promise a lot for completion.

Mars has an opposition to Jupiter (already covered) and a conjunction by sign with Venus. This is seen as a positive relationship, though the two are quite far apart.

Venus

Venus is in her own exaltation of Pisces and angular in the fourth. She is also rising and direct, so in terms of 'Fitness' she is stronger than Saturn.

Venus is in her own Trigon, being one of the Triplicity Lords of the Ascendant but does not make any phase changes with the Sun, around your date of birth. She is in the succedent house to the Lot of Fortune but is separated from the Moon and being in also being in a bi-coropreal sign her contribution to completion is low. As Energy and Completion are not matters we shall look at in later stages, her condition can be said to be good.

She has a conjunction by sign with Mars, and also an opposition to Jupiter, both of which have been considered.

Sun

The Sun is the out of Sect Light. The Sun is placed in Aries, in the fifth Place from the Ascendant. Aries is the sign of the Sun's Exaltation, so in terms of Fitness, he is in a Succedent House and in his own place.

He is angular in a quadrant system and in his own Trigon (The Sun is a Triplicity Ruler for the Fire Signs) The Sun is in a cadent house from Fortune, but has a separating aspect from the Moon (still in force) and is in a Cardinal Sign. As I'm principally concerned with its Fitness score. The Sun scores highly too.

The Sun's aspects are sextiles to Moon and Saturn, both of which have been covered.

There are three strong planets in your chart, Saturn by Sign and Venus and Sun by exaltation. of these Venus is angular in a Whole Sign chart whereas the Sun is angular in a quadrant system, such as Placidus, or the Hellenistic systems of Porphyry and Alcabitus. So those two are likely to be your principal sources of strength but the Saturn/Moon?Fortune trio are also likely to be important. It's something of a pity that one or other of these in not your Ascendant Ruler, though Venus does aspect it (Jupiter) if only by opposition.

Can you also give me a topic area for the Stage 3 reading, as Stage 2 is not far away.

spiraling

I was wondering if I could have a career/life direction reading for my Stage 3, also.

I didn't want to go into too much personal detail as I had my previous post, but I can confirm that the Moon/Jupiter dignitaries/strength make life seem too easy, and yet, Saturn in its dignity has served as myriad of nearly impossibly circumstances and obstacles, mostly emotionally/mentally, I think. I've lost the notion that I'll find personal happiness/elation, really, inspite of Jupiter's strength.

I'm not entirely sure what else to add, my life hasn't been that eventful thus far.

Minderwiz

I was wondering if I could have a career/life direction reading for my Stage 3, also.

I didn't want to go into too much personal detail as I had my previous post, but I can confirm that the Moon/Jupiter dignitaries/strength make life seem too easy, and yet, Saturn in its dignity has served as myriad of nearly impossibly circumstances and obstacles, mostly emotionally/mentally, I think. I've lost the notion that I'll find personal happiness/elation, really, inspite of Jupiter's strength.

I'm not entirely sure what else to add, my life hasn't been that eventful thus far.

Yes career would be fine.

You are right, it's difficult to comment about your experience of life, when you are young, as it is all stretching out in front of you.

Ronia

Hmmm.... an interesting point about the direction of counting But as the MC starts at 0 Libra, you have a point. but that does give, Venus, Sun and Jupiter if we go in the direction of signs rather than the direction of houses (and the diurnal rotation of the Earth). I think your interpreation is probably what he meant, on a re-read.

Oops, I missed the fact that MC starts at 0 Libra. However, Venus is in Virgo... I actually thought he may have meant counting in the direction of signs: Libra, Scorpio, Sag, etc. Then fewer planets will be in the way to Mars, no?

But Venus is still cadent from the MC and Mars is still in the seventh so the 'lack of constancy' clause still applies and as I read it, that clause allows you to have as many relationships as you want - the only condition appears to be that none of them will be long lived.

I can live with that. :D

Mind you as 'wander lust' kicks in , they will have to face the choice of moving with you or giving up the relationship - at least till you get too old to qualify for travel insurance :D

LOL. I have never had a travel insurance. :D Very true about the wander lust. I need a fellow explorer and wanderer to make it work for longer!

Edited to add:

Your Stage 4 is coming up. as I have had no reply from Spiralling for her Stage 3 reading. Ideally I'd like to calibrate my reading for your future events in your past. I tried to do something similar a month or two ago with the data you gave me relating to your employment history. We could try that again, with the aim of a prediction for when you will get employed or we could try a different area, such as health or possibly romance.

Let me know what you prefer and I'll try and work something out.

Romance. I'm aware of the possible employment already. Besides, it's spring, time to hunt for the fellow wanderer. :D (I haven't given up on the man with the letter, just waiting patiently for the planets to align in the proper way, so it would be helpful to know what's on the cards)