Any good fiction or non-fiction books about psychics to recommend?

figure8

3 very different novels.

the fortune teller by Marsha Norman p.1988.

my life in the bush of ghosts by Amos Tutuola p.1954 (corrected).

demon lover by Dion Fortune p.1927.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also found this list of "Tarot in Literature": http://home.comcast.net/~lucizain/tarlit.html

This list reminded me that the Dion Fortune Sea Priestess novel has the tarot scene, not Demon Lover.

I don't know why I mentioned Amos Tutuola, it doesn't mention tarot at all; but I found its descriptions of the spirit world to be richly metaphoric.

Smiling

the fortune teller by Marsha Norman p.1988.

my life in the bush of ghosts by Amos Tutuola p.1962.

demon lover by Dion Fortune p.1927.

Thank you, I especially like The Fortune Teller. Interesting that it's written by a well known playwright.

Melia

Thank you and Noted, it looks interesting. I wonder if this is out of print...

Not sure, but it would be probably be available electronically, which would be cheaper than a printed book. Scott is a well respected psychic in Australia; and in the book he also talks about, amongst many other things, his connection with the 3 Beaumont children, who went missing in Australia in the 60s.

TsukiSei

Kresley Cole is working on a YA series called The Arcana Chronicles. It's about 22 teens who have powers coordinating with the Major arcana card they represent. These kids are battling in a post-apocalyptic world for humanity. So far there are two books out: Poison Princess, and Endless Knight.

There's also a youth series out where there's a group of friends and they read tarot, and the readings are about what happens in the story. I can't remember the author or title right now, bit I'll find out at work today and let you know.

Smiling

Not sure, but it would be probably be available electronically, which would be cheaper than a printed book. Scott is a well respected psychic in Australia; and in the book he also talks about, amongst many other things, his connection with the 3 Beaumont children, who went missing in Australia in the 60s.

Thanks for sending this extra information. I didn't catch that this was a true story, and now I'm more intrigued!

Smiling

Kresley Cole is working on a YA series called The Arcana Chronicles. It's about 22 teens who have powers coordinating with the Major arcana card they represent. These kids are battling in a post-apocalyptic world for humanity. So far there are two books out: Poison Princess, and Endless Knight.

There's also a youth series out where there's a group of friends and they read tarot, and the readings are about what happens in the story. I can't remember the author or title right now, bit I'll find out at work today and let you know.

Great, thanks, these sound like fun :) have you read/ did you like the Arcane Chronicles?

TsukiSei

I'm a big fan of Kresley Cole. I have read the first one, and it was pretty good. I haven't gotten around to reading the second one yet.

The first book, Poison Princess has the main character coming to terms with the fact that she's one of the major arcana (I won't spoil it for you who she is), and dealing with the powers and responsibility that comes with it. On top of that she finds out that the apocalypse is coming and the "good" cards and the "bad" cards will have to fight for the world basically.

Smiling

I'm a big fan of Kresley Cole. I have read the first one, and it was pretty good. I haven't gotten around to reading the second one yet.

The first book, Poison Princess has the main character coming to terms with the fact that she's one of the major arcana (I won't spoil it for you who she is), and dealing with the powers and responsibility that comes with it. On top of that she finds out that the apocalypse is coming and the "good" cards and the "bad" cards will have to fight for the world basically.

Thanks for sharing more about these books; I'm putting them on my list :)

Smiling

It's been a while since I've posted on this thread, but wanted to share that I finished psychic Thomas John's new book recently - 'Never Argue with a Dead Person'; pretty good!

Mirra

The Raven Cycle

I'll recommend again the Raven Cycle book series by Maggie Stiefvater (the same author of the Raven's Prophecy tarot deck). The main character is from a family of psychics and tarot cards - along with ley lines, scrying, lucid dreams etc - plays a big part in the plot.

It's YA fantasy but the writing is phenomenal. The first book is The Raven Boys, the second is The Dream Thieves and the third is Blue Lily, Lily Blue (all of them earned Kirkus starred reviews). The final book The Raven King will be released next year ;)