Hellenistic Astrology

FilleAspirant

Career can be seen through the Tenth house, the MC and the Lot of Spirit. Your Tenth Whole Sign House is Libra, ruled by Venus. The only planet in the tenth is Mercury. Venus is in the eighth place but is in aspect to the tenth by sextile. Moreover the Exaltation Lord, Saturn is also in sextile to the tenth place, from Sagittarius. Saturn is also the Triplicity Lord by Day. and is likely to be the stronger of the two. Moreover Saturn is in Sect and although the Malefic of Sect is likely to be a neutral influence on Career. All planets but the Sun are configured to the tenth, so it's not surprising that this is your key priority and one that gives you greatest flexibility.

It also gives me the most sense of accomplishment and realization. I am the most happy when I'm working in an environment where I can be myself and by myself, with liberty to be a little creative.

The MC is in Virgo and is ruled by Mercury in the tenth. This may then bring Mercury to the fore in Career matters. The MC was only really considered for career in the latter part of the Hellenistic period as it can be placed anywhere between the eighth and twelfth places. When it did begin to be related to Career, it was the topical nature of the place of the MC that was taken as important. So here we have the MC in the ninth place, which would suggest areas such as travel and travel related areas, higher education and the law as possible areas emphasised by the MC. Mercury suggests that there will be a communications or mental dimension, Saturn as the lead planet suggests structure and format. So clerical duties, planning duties, analytical duties would be relevant though as Moon, Venus and Jupiter and Mars also make contributions this may be modified. Certainly you might find that the Mars influence makes it more difficult to take an objective approach to any career activity.

I'm a lawyer and I intend to eventually become a Public Defender, which is the title in my country for those that counsel the ones that can't afford to pay a lawyer's fee. With this in mind, my work is mental and in communication, as we have to really think about what we're going to argue to win a case. Structure and format shows up in the type of place I want to work in: the public sector. I feel my Moon most strongly in this, as I'm oriented to more humanitarian subjects and approachs, but I'm uncomfortable with one-to-one comforting. I'm influenced by my emotions, so when I'm moved, I tend to be more passionate in my approach in a particular legal case, but I'm still objetive in my arguments. I'm just more agressive in them.

The Lot related to Career is the Lot of Spirit and that is the one that I will use for forecasts about career. The Lot of Spirit shows the extent to which you are able to influence events in the environment. Your Lot of Spirit lies in Virgo in the ninth place and is therefore trine to the Ascendant. Mercury as shown above is one of the key planets involved in career. Being in the tenth, the Lot ruler is able to influence events, the key issue is the opposition from Mars, though this is wide and separating. It's therefore unlikely to be a major concern.

Possible significant dates up to now.

Your first main period from birth till 2008 was a Mercury period - remember Mercury is a key planet for your career. Something seems to have happened around late January 2006. This may well be related to a decision on higher education with career in mind. This looks likely to have coincided with the beginning of a Mercury transit of your second house and a conjunction with the Moon in particular. Something that is likely to have shown the importance of earning or income.

I was entering my last year in high school in January 2006. Up until that year, I was super focused on my studies and getting into college. It so happened that I fell for a guy and it messed up my emotions to the point I lost concentration and drive. I had no earning or income at this point in my life, so I can't speak for that.

The next most likely event occurred in early June 2008, when you began a Libra main period, that will last through to 2016. Libra is your tenth place, so this redoubles the emphasis on career as a main focus. At the beginning of this period Venus is in exact conjunction with the Sun (itself a significator of status and career) the exact conjunction is a position of great power and both Venus and the Sun were in Gemini trining the tenth place. This seems a very significant date. Mercury was also in Gemin, a couple of degrees behind and in a loose trine to it's natal position. Around the 10th of June with the Venus/Sun conjunction still in place, the Moon transited your MC and then went on to transit your tenth.

I started doing volunter work in a Courthouse and under a Plubic Defender, as I wasn't happy with the way college was going and I wanted to see if Law was what I really wanted to do in my life. I found out around this time that it was and I haven't ever looked back and regretted this decision.

Around the 30th August of the same year, Mercury began it's transit of your tenth with Venus following a day later. Does the end of August/beginning of September mark your entry into work or your entry on to a professional qualification or higher degree?

Yes, it does! I had to undergo a quick course which made me a Mediator in the Courthouse I was voluntering in. Amazing to see this reflected here!

In April 2010 you moved into a Sagtittarius level 2 period, this activated Saturn (natally in Sagittarius) and Jupiter the two other diurnal planets besides the Sun. In July Saturn began transiting Libra and your tenth and this looks like the bginning of a good period for you. Moreover the Sagittarius level 2 was followed by a Capricorn level 2 and an Aquarius level 2 (still in force), both of which keep Saturn active. Career is strongly favoured by Saturn but in July 2012 Mars entered your tenth place and this would not be particularly beneficial. Towards the middle of August 2012 Mars and Saturn were conjunct in Libra and conjunct your natal Mercury. This may have been a difficult period in some respects.

It was indeed a good period for me. I worked from April 2010 to July 2012 in the Federal Public Defense office, which was where I was happy the most. Had a lot to learn about the legal field, the ins and outs of a court case and about myself. July 2012 and after marked the moment I left the PD office and focused on studying for public career exams, the civil service ones. Needless to say, I didn't do good in any exams I took around that time.

The current Aquarius sub period began last July (2013) and will continue through till 2016. Two years after the last Mars transit of natal Mercury by conjunction, this happened again three days ago. Mars will actually station retrograde on March 2nd so Mars is going to remain in your tenth for some time. I'm not sure of how far this will cause issues but I don't see the next few weeks being easy. Indeed it will be late July before Mars finally leaves Libra and it will have transited your natal Mercury by conjunction three times. Mid September should mark something of a return to good things with natal Mercury transiting your tenth and giving you a Mercury return.

I might have exams I want to pass this first semester, so I'm not thrilled to hear I'm having a Mars transit in my 10th. Le sigh. But hey, wouldn't a Mars Rx actually be more beneficial to me, as I have a natal Mars Rx? I am grasping at straws, I realize, but a little bit of hope goes a long way, lol. Can't wait for September to come. :D

I've only given a very general consideration here, as a more detailed one would occupy a lot of space. However a more detailed one would also allow a consideration of several planets for each period and that would modifiy things. If there's a period you'd like to see covered in more depth let me know.

My memory isn't really that good, Minderwix, so perhaps it would be better to look at future ocurrencies than past ones, as I'll be able to come back here and update you as we go. Hope this is okay by you. :)

Minderwiz

Another Sitter

I'm picking up this thread again in the next week. I have a new sitter, Barkey Foreman, and I'll be having a look at her chart. If there are any other members who would like to give me some practice then I'd welcome it after finishing her analysis.

Minderwiz

Barkey Foreman - Preliminary Analysis 1.

I'll do the preliminary analysis first as it's important you realise that the Hellenisitic Approach is very different from the modern psychological one.

The first point is that the Hellenistic Astrologers used Whole Sign Houses for examining 'topics' in your life. Your Ascendant lies in Scorpio, so the whole of Scorpio forms your first house (they used the term 'Place'), each successive sign is your second, third, fourth....house or place, finishing with Libra as your twelfth house or place.

They did have quadrant house systems such as Porphyry and later Acabitius, which take the Ascendant as the cusp of the first house and the MC as cusp of the tenth (the ASC/DSC axis and the MC/IC axis give the four quadrants, which are then subdivided into three houses). However they used these initially for a process of calculating the length of life, and later did use them in conjunction with WSH, to look at topics.

The second thing to note is that the difference between being born during daylight hours (diurnal) or night time hours (nocturnal) is crucial to the chart reading. Your Sun is in the fifth Place - it's getting towards midnight (which is when the Sun reaches the MC), so you are a 'nocturnal' birth. The key light for you is the Moon, which is the Sect Light. The Sun is less important being out of Sect.

Sect, really is akin to the religious or 'group' or 'club' meaning. There are three planets to each Sect. For the nocturnal sect, those three are Moon, Venus and Mars. The Moon is the sect light. Venus is the benefic of sect (the main force for good in your life) and Mars is the malefic of sect (a force that is neutral to bad). The diurnal Sect is the Sun, Jupiter, the out of sect benefic, which is a neutral to good force in your life and Saturn which is the out of sect malefic and as such is the biggest threat in your life.

Mercury can take either sect depending on when it rises. If it rises before the Sun (Morning Star) it is of the diurnal sect. If it sets after the Sun (Evening Star) it is of the nocturnal sect. In your chart Mercury sets after the Sun so it is a nocturnal planet and is in the same sect as your chart.

In your chart:

Moon is in the Tenth house or Place (Leo)
Venus is in the Fifth house or Place (Pisces)
Mars is in the Fourth house or Place (Aquarius)
Sun is in the Fifth house or Place (Pisces)
Jupiter is in the Eleventh house or Place (Virgo)
Saturn is in the Fourth house or Place (Aquarius)
Mercury is in the Sixth house or Place (Aries)

The outer planets were unknown and therefore not used. There is some evidence that the Greeks knew about Uranus but thought it was a fixed star.

I will look at the nature and meanings of these placements in the next post.

Minderwiz

Barkey Foreman - Preliminary Analysis 2

Moon: Above the Horizon in Leo in the Tenth. Good placement by House but no essential dignity. Moon is in an alien sign (not ruled by sect mate) The Moon's triplicity Lord is Jupiter. Moon is in the confines or bounds of Mars and the decan of Mars. Mars is the ruler of the Ascendant to which the Moon is configured by square. The Moon opposes Saturn and Mars. Saturn is the out of sect malefic, Mars is the malefic of sect. Both are placed in the fourth house. Saturn on the IC. This suggests that home and family issues are likely to be the main area for problems throughout life. The Moon is waxing. This opposition raises the possibility of tension or conflict between your career or your mother and the affairs of home.

Venus is the Benefic of Sect and is in Pisces where she is in exaltation and in the fifth Place. Venus thus trines the Ascendant. This suggests that Children and general pleasure pursuits are likely to be the key areas that bring good things. Venus is co-present with the Sun, the out of sect Light but is not under the beams or retrograde. Venus also opposes Jupiter, the out of sect malefic The opposition is just over 4 degrees and applying. Jupiter is in the confines of Venus so there is a minor exchange of dignities. Venus rules your seventh house of marriage and your twelfth house of enemies.

Mars is the malefic of sect and is placed in Aquarius. It is in its own confines, angular, direct It is co-present with Saturn and the separation is just under 7 degrees. The planets are separating. Mars sextiles Mercury to the left (in the direction of signs) Mars rules the Ascendant and is configured to it. Mars will be the dominant planet in this sextile. Mars also rules your sixth Place. Mars will be an important planet in your life.

Mercury is an evening star and is thus nocturnal in this chart. It is therefore one of the planets of sect. Mercury is in Aries where it has no essential dignity but is sextiled by it's ruler, Mars. Mercury is just about to go under the beams. because though it is direct it has slowed right down and is about to station retrograde. in the sixth place it is averse to the Ascendant.Mercury rules the Lot of Fortune (Gemini). Mercury's bad position and condition is not a good indicator for a benevolent hand dealt by fate.

Sun is in Pisces in the fifth Place. It is trine to the Ascendant It is in the triplicity, confines and decan of Mars. The Sun is the MC ruler. and ruler of the tenth Place. Like Venus, the Sun opposes Jupiter in the eleventh place. The Sun makes no further aspects. As ruler of the tenth it is the ruler of the sect light. Again an important planet in your chart.

Jupiter is the out of sect benefic. I'ts placed in Virgo in the eleventh place. This is it's detriment. Jupiter is retrograde and slow.The aspects of Jupiter have been covered above. Jupiter rules the second and fifth places and is configured to the Ascendant. Jupiter shoud be a force for good in your life but whilst being well positioned it's essential dignity is low. It is retrograde and out of sect. Don't expect a lot from it.

Saturn is the out of sect malefic and is the biggest threat in the chart. Saturn is angular in the fourth and conjunct the IC. Saturn squares the Ascendant, is co-present with the Ascendant ruler and aspects Mercury by sextile. Saturn is direct and fast. Saturn is in its own sign of Aquarius and angular.the dignity possibly reduces its malevolence. As ruler of the fourth, placed in the fourth and the largest threat. Home, family, parents are the area of life that you are likely to find most difficulty with.

Those are the placements. Only Mercury has real problems but the others have some awkward aspects apart from Saturn.

I'll pause here to give you a chance to ask questions as we go.

Darth MI

Moon: Above the Horizon in Leo in the Tenth. Good placement by House but no essential dignity. Moon is in an alien sign (not ruled by sect mate) The Moon's triplicity Lord is Jupiter. Moon is in the confines or bounds of Mars and the decan of Mars. Mars is the ruler of the Ascendant to which the Moon is configured by square. The Moon opposes Saturn and Mars. Saturn is the out of sect malefic, Mars is the malefic of sect. Both are placed in the fourth house. Saturn on the IC. This suggests that home and family issues are likely to be the main area for problems throughout life. The Moon is waxing. This opposition raises the possibility of tension or conflict between your career or your mother and the affairs of home.

Venus is the Benefic of Sect and is in Pisces where she is in exaltation and in the fifth Place. Venus thus trines the Ascendant. This suggests that Children and general pleasure pursuits are likely to be the key areas that bring good things. Venus is co-present with the Sun, the out of sect Light but is not under the beams or retrograde. Venus also opposes Jupiter, the out of sect malefic The opposition is just over 4 degrees and applying. Jupiter is in the confines of Venus so there is a minor exchange of dignities. Venus rules your seventh house of marriage and your twelfth house of enemies.

Mars is the malefic of sect and is placed in Aquarius. It is in its own confines, angular, direct It is co-present with Saturn and the separation is just under 7 degrees. The planets are separating. Mars sextiles Mercury to the left (in the direction of signs) Mars rules the Ascendant and is configured to it. Mars will be the dominant planet in this sextile. Mars also rules your sixth Place. Mars will be an important planet in your life.

Mercury is an evening star and is thus nocturnal in this chart. It is therefore one of the planets of sect. Mercury is in Aries where it has no essential dignity but is sextiled by it's ruler, Mars. Mercury is just about to go under the beams. because though it is direct it has slowed right down and is about to station retrograde. in the sixth place it is averse to the Ascendant.Mercury rules the Lot of Fortune (Gemini). Mercury's bad position and condition is not a good indicator for a benevolent hand dealt by fate.

Sun is in Pisces in the fifth Place. It is trine to the Ascendant It is in the triplicity, confines and decan of Mars. The Sun is the MC ruler. and ruler of the tenth Place. Like Venus, the Sun opposes Jupiter in the eleventh place. The Sun makes no further aspects. As ruler of the tenth it is the ruler of the sect light. Again an important planet in your chart.

Jupiter is the out of sect benefic. I'ts placed in Virgo in the eleventh place. This is it's detriment. Jupiter is retrograde and slow.The aspects of Jupiter have been covered above. Jupiter rules the second and fifth places and is configured to the Ascendant. Jupiter shoud be a force for good in your life but whilst being well positioned it's essential dignity is low. It is retrograde and out of sect. Don't expect a lot from it.

Saturn is the out of sect malefic and is the biggest threat in the chart. Saturn is angular in the fourth and conjunct the IC. Saturn squares the Ascendant, is co-present with the Ascendant ruler and aspects Mercury by sextile. Saturn is direct and fast. Saturn is in its own sign of Aquarius and angular.the dignity possibly reduces its malevolence. As ruler of the fourth, placed in the fourth and the largest threat. Home, family, parents are the area of life that you are likely to find most difficulty with.

Those are the placements. Only Mercury has real problems but the others have some awkward aspects apart from Saturn.

So Saturn is my STRONGEST planet in traditional astrology? I also got a question about the dignity thing. According to modern astrology's Walter Pullen calculation, I am also Saturnian (but its my 3rd dominant and I'm primarily Plutonian followed by Solarian).

The thing is I'm also Aquarius dominant tied with Scorpio according to the calculation. At the exact same whole number percentage (14%) and only separated by decimals.

What you stated about difficulties at home is TOTALLY TRUE (as are modern interpretations of Saturn and Mars in 4th house as well as Aquarius 4th house and Aquarian relationships with family).

I also have a question about the Moon-in modern astrology much of my problems can be attributed to hard aspects between Moon and the rest of the chart. In fact Moon is tied with Saturn as second dominant planet in modern astrology at the same whole number and only separated by percentages. Leo is also tied with Capricorn as my second dominant sign at 13% again separated by percentages. So the Moon is insignificant according to traditional interpretations?

Also what would you say are my dominant signs based on what you see on the chart? I am curious how different the dominants would be since Saturn is my primary dominant according to your reading. Would Solarian still be a strong influence?

And based on your interpretation of Saturn, it seems I was correct afterall that I am 4th house dominant at least based on what I can find in modern astrology. What does traditional say?

Also what does Part of Armies in Scorpio in 1st house signify? Its should be weak in traditional because its modern ruler is lacking. But in modern astrology its POWERFUL with an almost precise conjuction only separated by seconds and its true the military has played a strong role in my life. Scorpios' traditional ruler Mars is in Aquarius so what aspects would explain why Part of Armies in Scorpio is so powerful in my life even though it lacks conjunctions to any planet? I'm more inclined to believe more in modern astrology as far as Part of Armies goes because it seems Scorpio is weak in my traditional astrology chart.

Darth MI

I'll do the preliminary analysis first as it's important you realise that the Hellenisitic Approach is very different from the modern psychological one.

The first point is that the Hellenistic Astrologers used Whole Sign Houses for examining 'topics' in your life. Your Ascendant lies in Scorpio, so the whole of Scorpio forms your first house (they used the term 'Place'), each successive sign is your second, third, fourth....house or place, finishing with Libra as your twelfth house or place.

They did have quadrant house systems such as Porphyry and later Acabitius, which take the Ascendant as the cusp of the first house and the MC as cusp of the tenth (the ASC/DSC axis and the MC/IC axis give the four quadrants, which are then subdivided into three houses). However they used these initially for a process of calculating the length of life, and later did use them in conjunction with WSH, to look at topics.

The second thing to note is that the difference between being born during daylight hours (diurnal) or night time hours (nocturnal) is crucial to the chart reading. Your Sun is in the fifth Place - it's getting towards midnight (which is when the Sun reaches the MC), so you are a 'nocturnal' birth. The key light for you is the Moon, which is the Sect Light. The Sun is less important being out of Sect.

Sect, really is akin to the religious or 'group' or 'club' meaning. There are three planets to each Sect. For the nocturnal sect, those three are Moon, Venus and Mars. The Moon is the sect light. Venus is the benefic of sect (the main force for good in your life) and Mars is the malefic of sect (a force that is neutral to bad). The diurnal Sect is the Sun, Jupiter, the out of sect benefic, which is a neutral to good force in your life and Saturn which is the out of sect malefic and as such is the biggest threat in your life.

Mercury can take either sect depending on when it rises. If it rises before the Sun (Morning Star) it is of the diurnal sect. If it sets after the Sun (Evening Star) it is of the nocturnal sect. In your chart Mercury sets after the Sun so it is a nocturnal planet and is in the same sect as your chart.

In your chart:

Moon is in the Tenth house or Place (Leo)
Venus is in the Fifth house or Place (Pisces)
Mars is in the Fourth house or Place (Aquarius)
Sun is in the Fifth house or Place (Pisces)
Jupiter is in the Eleventh house or Place (Virgo)
Saturn is in the Fourth house or Place (Aquarius)
Mercury is in the Sixth house or Place (Aries)

The outer planets were unknown and therefore not used. There is some evidence that the Greeks knew about Uranus but thought it was a fixed star.

I will look at the nature and meanings of these placements in the next post.

I was born at night just to clarify. Also to ask what exactly is hard about the Mercury aspects to Saturn? Modern astrology puts Saturn as VERY ASPECTED in my chart but most of the hard stuff goes to Pluto and the Moon. There is no real aspects between Mercury and Saturn in the modern interpretation as Saturn is in fifth house.

Also whats the interpretation of fifth house :D? Modern astrology puts it in 4th house hence 4th house dominant but I also identify with a lot of the modern stuff of 5th house Venus! In fact I always felt half my Venus was in 4th and half was in 5th!

I'd also have to ask about planets ruling houses. You said Venus rules 7th and 12th house. How exactly so? I have no planets in 7th or 2nd or Libra or Taurus. How would it rule the the 7th house? I can understand 12th because it is in Pisces?

Darth MI

I need help for Saturn and Mars as far as malefic. Its true even in modern astrology all the interpretations are negative. So what is the deeper meaning of malefic?

Am I Martian according to traditional astrology? Is this why Part of Armies in Scorpio was so STRONG in my chart? Does malefic Mars imply militarism to an insane totaliratrian extent,even Naziesque?

Can you explain how it configures to the Asc? Modern astrology lacks these terms.

Also what physical conditions does Mars ruling 6th hosue bring?

Planets can rule houses its not even part of? This contradicts the modern house system.

Is co-present the same as conjunction?

Darth MI

I have a question about pleasure pursuit? Would that imply getting a career in say the showbiz or entertainment industry as a whole (gaming, comics,magazine,sports, etc)?

What exactly does that mean?

Also what about the interpretation about children that you said in the same sentence?

Minderwiz

I was born at night just to clarify. Also to ask what exactly is hard about the Mercury aspects to Saturn? Modern astrology puts Saturn as VERY ASPECTED in my chart but most of the hard stuff goes to Pluto and the Moon. There is no real aspects between Mercury and Saturn in the modern interpretation as Saturn is in fifth house.

Yes you were born after sunset and therefore your chart is under the control of the Moon.
Hellenistic Astrology makes no use of the outers - they weren't aware of them and would almost certainly have ignored them if they were. Too slow moving

Hellenistic Astrology uses Whole Sign Aspects, as well as aspects by degree. Thus a planet in Aquarius is sextile to any planet in Aries, no matter what the degree. However close degree based aspects indicate a strong connection, as in modern Astrology. Three degrees applying is what they would be looking for in those circumstances. The Saturn/Mercury sextile is slightly more than 3 deegrees but is applying. Moreover Hellenistic and later traditional Astrology sees the planet earlier in the Zodiac as the stronger of the two. Aquarius comes before Aries, so Saturn dominates Mercury. If this were a Square it would seriously debilitate Mercury, as it is Mercury is still afflicted.

Incidentally any modern Astrologer would pick up this sextile, though they might not interpret it in the same way.

Barkey Foreman said:
Also whats the interpretation of fifth house :D? Modern astrology puts it in 4th house hence 4th house dominant but I also identify with a lot of the modern stuff of 5th house Venus! In fact I always felt half my Venus was in 4th and half was in 5th!

What I ought to have mentioned is that Venus joys in the fifth, so this is a very good position for her it boosts that exaltation still further.

The fifth Place signifies Children and Doing Good. That would include enjoyment, casual sex, leisure and sport and good things gererally. All Venusian pursuits

Barkey Foreman said:
I'd also have to ask about planets ruling houses. You said Venus rules 7th and 12th house. How exactly so? I have no planets in 7th or 2nd or Libra or Taurus. How would it rule the the 7th house? I can understand 12th because it is in Pisces?

Rulership is determined by the sign on the cusp of the house, whether using quadrant houses or whole sign houses. The seventh house is Taurus (as it would be even in Placidus) so Venus rules it as the ruling planet of Taurus. Venus also rules Libra, your twelfth place.

Minderwiz

I need help for Saturn and Mars as far as malefic. Its true even in modern astrology all the interpretations are negative. So what is the deeper meaning of malefic?

It's simply a propensity to do bad things (or signify bad things). That is things that work against the life interests of the native. They might seem good at the time but in the long term are not. Of course most of them seem bad at the time too.

Losing your job might seem like a bad thing at the time, but you might then get a better job and not look back, or you might end up long term unemployed and destitute. The latter case would be bad in the context of your life and is likely to be shown by Mars or Saturn.

Barkey Foreman said:
Am I Martian according to traditional astrology? Is this why Part of Armies in Scorpio was so STRONG in my chart? Does malefic Mars imply militarism to an insane totaliratrian extent,even Naziesque?[/quote

Mars is not necessarily violent or militaristic in its symbolism - but it can and does represent a tendency to sever or cut - that can include injuries through accidents as well as a tendency to break of relationships. Don't just see Mars as a soldier.

Mars would be seen as the Almuten of your chart by Medieval writers, later writers would classify you as Choleric, Melancholic, Phlegmatic or Sanguine. I've not tried that on your chart so I can't tell you which.

Barkey Foreman said:
Can you explain how it configures to the Asc? Modern astrology lacks these terms.[

Also what physical conditions does Mars ruling 6th hosue bring?

Planets can rule houses its not even part of? This contradicts the modern house system.

Is co-present the same as conjunction?

Configured simply means in a sign that forms a major aspect to the sign of the Ascendant. In effect, any whole sign house but the second, twelfth, sixth and eighth. The same applies to any planet/house you are looking at. So if you are Looking at Mars' configuration to the sixth, for example, it sextiles the sixth so it is configured to it. It does not aspect the fifth or third so it's not configured to those.

The sixth deals with slaves, injuries, sickness and enmities. So you might suffer accidents, cuts, or any disease or illness that is Mars like in nature. One possibility might be migraine attacks, as Aries can signify the head and Mercury (in the sixth) signifies rational or logical thought.

As an aside, Mars and Mercury are likely to be more co-operative than Saturn and Mercury. Firstly because in a nocturnal chart Mars is less malefic than Saturn and secondly because Mercury rules the Air Triplicity in night charts. Mars is therefore in Mercury's triplicity and Mercury is in Mars' sign. Mars will do all he can for Mercury consistent with being a good host and Mercury will try to reciprocate. Though as Triplicity is less strong than exaltation or domicile (sign rulership) Mercury's efforts may not succeed as well as those of Mars.

Planets do not have to be in a house to rule it. they simply need to rule the sign on the cusp. There has been argument for a long time, back into the tradition about whether the ruler or the tenant is stronger in relation to the house. Hellenistic Astrologers tended to see the tenant having to have a good relationship with the Ruler (landlord or steward) to do well. They also tended to see the ruler having to do his best for his tenant. This doesn't contradict modern Astrology because the Hellenistics got their first :) Also you will find more and more modern writers that are beginning to take rulership seriously. - See rulers of the Horosope by Alan Oken

Copresent simply means the planets are in the same sign (and threfore house or place) Again they could be 29 degrees apart and still copresent. There is also a stronger situation where they are withing 15 degrees of each other.