Pet peeves

Ruud

For me it is the "this card always means that".

And people expecting a fortune teller. If I could do that I would foretell the lottery numbers instead.

JackofWands

This could also apply to astrology-types who think they know everything about you because of your sign, and define you because of it

Too true. Too terribly true.

Zephyros

I dislike it when people channel the Dark Side of the Force during readings, only because it is easier, more seductive. These are readers who let their querents witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station, even when everyone knows that's no moon.

May the 4th be with you all

earthair

Burning incense/other smelly sticks and lighting more than 2 candles when there isn't a power cut...often a ruse so you can't see what the cards are through the smog and flickering.

Nemia

I had a reading only once, some 30 years ago, done by a friend, and it was wonderful - put me on the tarot path. So no pet peeves concerning other readers.

And I don't read for others any more - the friends for whom I did were great and appreciative.

I can understand the pet peeves some people here developed very well, but I never met one.

My pet peeve about myself as reader: I don't trust myself, I dither, I hesitate, I'm insecure whether I REALLY understand the cards.

magpie9

I can't stand readers who claim they are "tarot masters" but never even glance at the cards, just saying anything that comes into their head. And, of course, claim to never ever be wrong.

Lycanthropos

Yes to clarifiers being a peeve.

This one is not unique to tarot: repeating, "Um, um, um..." during an interpretation. I can respect silence while people think.

Too much drama. I can appreciate atmosphere, I put on *a little* myself, it can be fun...but there's a point for me where it crosses into ridiculousness.

bluelagune

Getting a false feedback from a sitter, only later find out through the sitter's row of questions to other readers that the reading was spot on :(

rwcarter

Clarifiers is a peeve of mine too. I think they've become more popular in our "immediate gratification" society where folks want answers NOW and don't have the time or patience to try to suss out those answers over hours or days.

One thing that's not a peeve so much as a head scratcher is the trend of using 3 cards per position in a spread. A year or two ago, it doesn't seem like folks were doing that, but within the last year or two I've seen a lot more people posting in UTC asking for help with 3 cards from a single position within a reading.

MaryHeather

I dislike it when people channel the Dark Side of the Force during readings, only because it is easier, more seductive. These are readers who let their querents witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station, even when everyone knows that's no moon.

May the 4th be with you all

Closrapexa for the WIN.