Secrets of the Waite-Smith Tarot by Katz & Goodwin?

Abrac

Desecrated, the "deck" they're referring to is the Great Symbols of the Paths Waite used in his Fellowship of the Rosy Cross. They can be viewed at the British Museum online here:

SYMBOLS

I've been trying to drum up interest on the subject but so far no takers. It might not really be an appropriate subject for the RWS forum though as it only pertains to the RWS indirectly, but it has proven useful for a better understanding of the RWS, for me at least. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty, try the books I linked to in post #1 of this thread:

FRC THREAD

There's also an audio course you can download which proved somewhat helpful in the beginning, but the books are what really opened it up for me. :)

AUDIO COURSE

Abrac

I thought I read somewhere that the book was created to be used in concert with the website. I can't remember if it was in the book itself or somewhere else. But unfortunately the website's a disaster. I think what they want is for people to join their Facebook book study, at least that's the impression I get.

swedishfish612

Thanks for those links, Abrac!

rwcarter

I thought I read somewhere that the book was created to be used in concert with the website. I can't remember if it was in the book itself or somewhere else. But unfortunately the website's a disaster. I think what they want is for people to join their Facebook book study, at least that's the impression I get.
I have a vague memory about the book/website connection too.

But I'd call the website more an embarrassment than a disaster. There are lots of people who aren't on Facebook for one reason or another. (And even if they are, if they're looking to the website for info, they may not think to look on Facebook....) And when those of us who took the already printed book at face value and went to the website looking for the promised "detailed analysis" and don't find it, we're going to complain to our close, personal internet friends, influencing them not to buy the book (at least not until the second printing)....

Rodney

Samweiss

I have a vague memory about the book/website connection too.

But I'd call the website more an embarrassment than a disaster. There are lots of people who aren't on Facebook for one reason or another. (And even if they are, if they're looking to the website for info, they may not think to look on Facebook....) And when those of us who took the already printed book at face value and went to the website looking for the promised "detailed analysis" and don't find it, we're going to complain to our close, personal internet friends, influencing them not to buy the book (at least not until the second printing)....

Rodney

Yup, based on what I've read makes me not want to buy this book, not in its current state. Which is a shame, because there aren't that many interesting books about the RWS.

Desecrated

Yup, based on what I've read makes me not want to buy this book, not in its current state. Which is a shame, because there aren't that many interesting books about the RWS.

It's a helpful book if you read it with some critical thinking. Don't take everything it says of face value, But it will definitely point out a bunch of really interesting things you didn't know.

And, if nothing else, get the reader to start questioning the other books they have read about the tarot.
If two leading experts releases a book on one of the biggest occult publishing firms contains this many errors; Imagine what kind of nonsense is printed in cheap self-published books that you can buy on amazon for 10 bucks.

Freddie

I really like this book. I have it on Kindle, but I have a hard copy on the way. I agree with others here that is opens up the door to further esoteric study with this deck.

Where else could I find the name of the cat on the 'Queen of Wands' cards. I just let go of what I might disagree with and enjoy the book. I don't like the criticism of Waite in the book, but I can overlook it.

Freddie

rwcarter

I finished the book finally. Another author who has published with Llewellyn told me that the publisher insists on endnotes instead of footnotes, so that isn't the authors' fault. But advertising another of their books in an endnote is not cool. The large number of typos in the book is an annoyance. There were also a number of Pixie images that were discussed without being shown (or if they were shown, they didn't indicate where the original image was as it wasn't close to the text describing it). And there could definitely be a clearer delineation between what they're bringing to the book and what came from Waite, Pixie and the Golden Dawn (for example the interpretations for the Minors).

Things I really liked in the book:

• the part of self and energy associations for the Courts as that info can be helpful in trying to understand the Courts, especially when there are multiple Courts in a reading
  • their Revisited Celtic Cross
  • I'll probably go back and reread their Kabbalah of the Minors chapter at some point
  • the insight they brought to the art in the deck and its background and inspiration
  • the inclusion of lots of Pixie's art that I had never seen before
  • I feel like I know more about Waite and Pixie after reading the book
  • Some of their reading methods are good exercises for expanding one's concepts of the cards

Freddie

I know what you mean RW. There is also another deck featured in the book that has nothing to do with Waite or Smith. I don't know why it is in this book. I do like them and maybe they will write a follow up to this book someday.

I generally do not like most Tarot books, but this one I will keep.

Freddie

Winterchild

Oh dear... bang goes another one from my wishlist!

I read something about the website connection on either a blog or FB, and came here to check it out.... I am on the fence about this book now...

I hadn't heard mention of the website/book connection before, but even putting the book aside, I really think it would be helpful to these guys to get a decent webmaster. I have never had much success navigating the Tarosophy website/websites... it always seems a total muddle to me. I remember a series of small tarot books that they started a couple of years ago and I seem to recall I ended up in a similar confusion with those.

The idea of parts of the book being on a website is offputting... but it would be ok were the website well organised.

Reading through the thread there are so many things that have put me off, a biggie is no index, mixed methods of citation etc... it would drive me crazy and as a previous poster said, lead me to question the content.

I know there is not exactly a lot of money in Tarot etc, but really employing an experienced writer, an editor and a webmaster would surely have made sense in such a project?

Ah well, I have read the excerpt available on Amazon and am still unconvinced... Thanks for all the info everyone...