EPIPHANY! A New Take on the Major Arcana

Lucas Prince of Cats

This is just so great!

Lucas Prince of Cats

BTW, can anyone of you guys check out a fun and games thread I made?

dangerdork

XVIII. Song of The Moon.

Passing now this steady sphere,
Yesterday's silvered crescent
Reflects tomorrow's phantoms.

Denizens of hidden realms
Imploring with twilight cries,
Gaze above! Believe the lies!

We whisper in your slumber,
Inspiring lust and madness --
Phases driving blood and tides.

Beasts stir beneath my passing
Rising to recede again
And turn without revolving.

So measure nights and seasons
And shift according to form -
I liberate your wild soul.

When granted your illusions,
Dance now with full abandon
Atop the temples' ruins --

Only tonight shall we rise.
At Dawn the vapors resolve,
We'll glimpse the day with fresh eyes.

MandMaud

Passing now this steady sphere,
Yesterday's silvered crescent
Reflects tomorrow's phantoms.

Denizens of hidden realms
Imploring with twilight cries,
Gaze above! Believe the lies!

We whisper in your slumber,
Inspiring lust and madness --
My phases drive blood and tides.

Beasts stir beneath my passing
Rising to recede again
And turn without revolving.

So measure nights and seasons
And shift according to form -
I liberate your wild soul.

When granted your illusions,
Dance now with full abandon
Atop the temples' ruins --

Only tonight shall we rise.
At Dawn the vapors resolve,
We'll glimpse the day with fresh eyes.

Moon has been so strong for me this few days (nights), can't help but respond to this. I like the way it expands from small distances/immediacy (yesterday, tomorrow) through phases to seasons. I feel I ought to recognise the temples... I am a little muddled between 'I' and 'we'. But mainly, I like this being so very atmospheric. And it has given me thoughts on the Moon card that hadn't occurred to me before!

dangerdork

Moon has been so strong for me this few days (nights), can't help but respond to this. I like the way it expands from small distances/immediacy (yesterday, tomorrow) through phases to seasons. I feel I ought to recognise the temples... I am a little muddled between 'I' and 'we'. But mainly, I like this being so very atmospheric. And it has given me thoughts on the Moon card that hadn't occurred to me before!

Thanks for the feedback!

I was going for something atmospheric/impressionistic... one of the challenges in the format I've set for myself in these poems is being able to capture the right mood and tone along with the syntax and structure. I was very happy with how this one came out - I composed it during the Supermoon eclipse last night, and I hoped that just a little magic was able to seep in. ;)

In other news, I've begun creating a social media presence for Seven Stations. Visit the Moon card on Tumblr at http://sevenstationstarot.tumblr.com/ , visit the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/sevenstationstarot , search us out on Pinterest, and watch for new posts from me right on this thread.

MandMaud

Thanks for the feedback!

I was going for something atmospheric/impressionistic... one of the challenges in the format I've set for myself in these poems is being able to capture the right mood and tone along with the syntax and structure. I was very happy with how this one came out - I composed it during the Supermoon eclipse last night, and I hoped that just a little magic was able to seep in. ;)

In other news, I've begun creating a social media presence for Seven Stations. Visit the Moon card on Tumblr at http://sevenstationstarot.tumblr.com/ , visit the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/sevenstationstarot , search us out on Pinterest, and watch for new posts from me right on this thread.

Definitely it's atmospheric! And I did suspect you'd done it at the eclipse.

If my internet connection will let me, I'll like your FB page asap. :)

Lucas Prince of Cats

So, since this thread has been a little slow lately, what else is there to cover?

Lucas Prince of Cats

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, wow, you hvae a log for this, now! :D And I honestly don't feel for the art style, but this moon card is amazing. The moon cards is one of those cards I connect to.

Also, I'm confused, are the songs for your deck or for the alcemical tarot?

Edit: Oops! Nevermind!

Richard

Wow! I can't wade through this whole thread. I do have something to add, however, which may or may not have been mentioned earlier, but which I do not expect to be very popular. (What else is new? :joke:)

Tarot can be made to fit almost any organizational scheme. That is not a criticism of any such arrangement, but rather a testimony to Tarot's universality. If it were not so, then the random arrangement of cards in a spread would not be of any value for divination. (Now feel free to put me on your ignore list.)

dangerdork

Wow! I can't wade through this whole thread. I do have something to add, however, which may or may not have been mentioned earlier, but which I do not expect to be very popular. (What else is new? :joke:)

Tarot can be made to fit almost any organizational scheme. That is not a criticism of any such arrangement, but rather a testimony to Tarot's universality. If it were not so, then the random arrangement of cards in a spread would not be of any value for divination. (Now feel free to put me on your ignore list.)

Hi Richard! Thanks for joining us! Any and all critique of the concepts and conversation are quite welcome. I hope you will take the time to delve deeper into some of the longer posts here, I still propose that they can provide insights into tarot that may be useful to novices and experts alike.

Although I dabble in divination, that's not really what Seven Stations is about. It's much more of a speculation into, back in the day, SOMEbody had to put that group of archetypes together as a set to form the Trumps, and in that numbered order. Why those things? If tarot is so much about astrology, why are there no zodiac signs in the trumps? If it's Christian (virtues and Judgement), why is there a high priestess? what are the Wheel of Fortune and Lovers to do with all this? A CHARIOT? WTF?

It's a lot of fun to speculate about all of this, and there are plenty of historians and occultists who are way more devoted scholars than me, and who are quite happy to explain it to you. They'll all present plenty of evidence supporting that THEIR way is how it all shook out hundreds of years ago and everyone else is full of BS.

All that being said, I honestly believe that this method of grouping the Majors together provides quite a satisfactory organizational structure for developing your own mental model of tarot as a system. I've read (and forgotten for the most part) lots of books describing those other schemes, and this one hangs together for me as well or better than just about all of 'em. That's why I have remained so excited about it so as to sustain this thread for eight years (!) and develop a deck based on it.

At any rate, this thread is definitely no fun without other voices, dissenting or not ;) , adding opinions and shades of nuance.

All that being said, here's a random nother grouping of the Majors to meditate upon.

1 Magician
2,3 Priestess, Empress
4,5,6 Emperor, Hierophant, Lovers
7, 8, 9, 10 Chariot, Strength, Hermit, Wheel of Fortune
11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Justice, Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, Devil
16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Tower, Star, Moon, Sun, Judment, World.

These are all "clusters" of cards which seem to form groups of subject matter that belong together. Discuss.

Lukas,is hope this is adequate fresh material for now ;)