Pet peeves

danieljuk

adding a peeve! I bought a reading recently (a mini reading) from someone who a friend was raving about online to see what all the talk was about. The person sent me a reading with really bad spelling mistakes and written so badly!

I sometimes have spelling / grammar issues when writing out and my readings on AT just seem to be writing lots and almost being taken away by it at the time, almost an automatic writing type thing. But at the end of writing, I carefully go through and read and edit myself! This person really needed to go back and read before she sent but I am just amazed she is sending that for paid readings! :bugeyed: It's so unprofessional and it was good readings outside of that.

Barleywine

adding a peeve! I bought a reading recently (a mini reading) from someone who a friend was raving about online to see what all the talk was about. The person sent me a reading with really bad spelling mistakes and written so badly!

I sometimes have spelling / grammar issues when writing out and my readings on AT just seem to be writing lots and almost being taken away by it at the time, almost an automatic writing type thing. But at the end of writing, I carefully go through and read and edit myself! This person really needed to go back and read before she sent but I am just amazed she is sending that for paid readings! :bugeyed: It's so unprofessional and it was good readings outside of that.

I can relate to this. A good vocabulary that supports nuanced interpretation and a strong command of usage and grammar would seem to be obligatory for a professional reader who comminicates in writing. To do otherwise would come across as unforgivably sloppy and lazy.

Brilliance

Maybe she is not a native English speaker?

SwordOfTruth

My main peeve actually comes from doing exchanges on this site. The amount of times I put my all into a reading only to receive back some half arsed attempt and then get flooded with a bunch of requests to please read umteen times the same question that has already been posted in several other threads.

I won't do exchanges here anymore because of this. I don't think I've received many useful readings in my exchanges and a lot of the time feedback is pretty poor too, if you get it at all. I'm so done here actually.

Saskia

My main peeve actually comes from doing exchanges on this site. The amount of times I put my all into a reading only to receive back some half arsed attempt and then get flooded with a bunch of requests to please read umteen times the same question that has already been posted in several other threads.

I won't do exchanges here anymore because of this. I don't think I've received many useful readings in my exchanges and a lot of the time feedback is pretty poor too, if you get it at all. I'm so done here actually.

That is indeed something that bugs me too and I've only been at AT for a month and a bit. I don't often ask for exchanges but when I do, I only get a proper reading maybe 50% of the time. In particular I don't like readers who just list a string of cards and then add a couple of either generic sentences or something pretty imaginative not based on the cards at all :(

But the worse are people who ask for readings, receive a lengthy, reasonably in-depth reading I took time to prepare, and I get a reply asking for a follow up (basically the same question but in different words), no proper feedback at all.

I'm considering stopping reading for people who only give a sentence or two of feedback :(

I actually don't mind "competing" readings, i.e. people asking the same question in multiple threads, because it gives me more angles to look at the issue too as I get to see the answer and the feedback. So I'll get to know where I hit the nail and where I missed with my own reading. However, I'm not a fan of reading shoppers who ask around for as long as it takes to get the message they want and just ditch the rest - more insightful ones - that don't fit in their fantasies about a love interest etc.

SwordOfTruth

That is indeed something that bugs me too and I've only been at AT for a month and a bit. I don't often ask for exchanges but when I do, I only get a proper reading maybe 50% of the time. In particular I don't like readers who just list a string of cards and then add a couple of either generic sentences or something pretty imaginative not based on the cards at all :(

But the worse are people who ask for readings, receive a lengthy, reasonably in-depth reading I took time to prepare, and I get a reply asking for a follow up (basically the same question but in different words), no proper feedback at all.

I'm considering stopping reading for people who only give a sentence or two of feedback :(

I actually don't mind "competing" readings, i.e. people asking the same question in multiple threads, because it gives me more angles to look at the issue too as I get to see the answer and the feedback. So I'll get to know where I hit the nail and where I missed with my own reading. However, I'm not a fan of reading shoppers who ask around for as long as it takes to get the message they want and just ditch the rest - more insightful ones - that don't fit in their fantasies about a love interest etc.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Barleywine

Because I don't do remote readings, only face-to-face, I don't participate in reading exchanges, I do like helping people interpret their own readings in the Your Readings sub-forum, especially my favorite - the Celtic Cross. I understand I'm supposed to expect feedback, but it doesn't really matter to me. After over 40 years at this, I'm not really in heavy "learning mode" at this time. But I also don't do "love" or "relationship" commentary much either, so that further limits my participation since it seems like 75% of help requests are of that type. I've left the forum altogether a couple of times in the past for that very reason. But it seems that we have a new batch of sensitive, intelligent, well-read members at this time. so I'm encouraged to stick around for a while.

Bridget

Have you tried any of the reading circles? Since you have to sign up in advance and people are paired up by the moderator, the participants seem more serious about learning and practicing. If exchanges still interest you, it might be worth checking out.

Saskia

Have you tried any of the reading circles? Since you have to sign up in advance and people are paired up by the moderator, the participants seem more serious about learning and practicing. If exchanges still interest you, it might be worth checking out.

Hi Bridget, thank you so much for pointing this out! I haven't actually thought about reading circles at all. I'll need to check them out. In general, I'm happy to read for others and don't even require exchange most of the time, but I'd appreciate some genuine effort in feedback and readings in exchange of what I provided. Anyhow, thanks! :)

Padma

I was going to say same as Bridget - use the monthly learning exchanges, that have a host who supervises things, such as the DDT (Dark Deck Truths) COS (Circle of Stones) and ISG (intuitive reading circle) They are fun, and usually the exchange is meaty and satisfying. The host of the circle does check in to make sure all are playing by the rules :)

Short of that, if you read the rules in any of the subforums that feature exchanges, you are allowed to refuse people who request a reading, I don't know if you were aware of that. You can choose who sits. :) So you can filter out the succubi who just want to ask everyone the same question, or those whom you know give poor feedback/exchanges.

You are also encouraged to contact a moderator if the feedback is poor, or if you received none at all, or just "thank you". ;)

This may make for more pleasant exchanges!