Any good fiction or non-fiction books about psychics to recommend?


> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media




 
Smiling's Avatar
Smiling  Smiling is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 831
Smiling 

Hey, thanks! I just borrowed the ebook, and will take a look...
Top   #31
Scarlet Woodland's Avatar
Scarlet Woodland  Scarlet Woodland is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 May 2015
Location: Wiltshire, England
Posts: 1,370
Scarlet Woodland 

I would wholeheartedly second the Raven Cycle books.
Top   #32
EmpyreanKnight's Avatar
EmpyreanKnight  EmpyreanKnight is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,853
EmpyreanKnight 

I was surprised when a gypsy Tarot reader foretold the fates of the main characters in Cormac McCarthy's (!) Blood Meridian. At first it did not seem important, but in hindsight it heralded a shift in the trajectory of their lives. Whether their fates were indeed sealed by the cards, you'd have to read to find out. Or you can google it, yeah. But do read it, it's a mighty fine book.

The Tarot is also used as a literary device in the utterly beguiling Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. The cards are often drawn to foreshadow future events. If you're rather knowledgeable with the Tarot, you may have some fun uncovering these while reading the novel.
Top   #33
Smiling's Avatar
Smiling  Smiling is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 831
Smiling 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
I was surprised when a gypsy Tarot reader foretold the fates of the main characters in Cormac McCarthy's (!) Blood Meridian. At first it did not seem important, but in hindsight it heralded a shift in the trajectory of their lives. Whether their fates were indeed sealed by the cards, you'd have to read to find out. Or you can google it, yeah. But do read it, it's a mighty fine book.

The Tarot is also used as a literary device in the utterly beguiling Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. The cards are often drawn to foreshadow future events. If you're rather knowledgeable with the Tarot, you may have some fun uncovering these while reading the novel.
Thanks for sharing this. About the 'Blood Meridien' are you referring to a psychic person, or character in the book? They both sound intriguing!
Top   #34
_R_'s Avatar
_R_  _R_ is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 18 Sep 2012
Location: Europe-Asia
Posts: 117
_R_ 

For those who like Sherlock Holmes-type detective stories with a dash of psychic goings-on, Algernon Blackwood's "John Silence" stories will be a relish.

There's also William Hope Hodgson's "Carnacki the Ghost-Finder" series, also highly recommended.

Both of these collections are still in print, and are also available online since they're out of copyright by now.
Top   #35
EmpyreanKnight's Avatar
EmpyreanKnight  EmpyreanKnight is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,853
EmpyreanKnight 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling View Post
Thanks for sharing this. About the 'Blood Meridien' are you referring to a psychic person, or character in the book? They both sound intriguing!
In the book, the gang allowed a band of gypsy (and I think Mexican - this is a Western after all) jugglers join them as they travelled. The leader asked one of them if they can predict the future. The juggler called a female psychic (his wife, I think). The woman faced away from the company, was blindfolded. As the man scampered across the gang, he would ask them to pick a card. He would shout the cards to the woman, who without looking at them, would immediately know who chose that card. She would then chant her prophecies in Spanish. It all ended in a commotion when the chief picked his card, and the heated warbling of the prophetess almost drove him to the edge.

Now, I don't particularly like Westerns, but for McCarthy I'd make an exception. His novels are always uber-masculine, savage, efficient, ruthlessly unsentimental, and gory. The Tarot scene rather caught me unawares, it was just so discordant with the theme and the setting. I know that the Tarot is not as deterministic as people think it is - but I think here it is meant to drive home the fact that whatever they do, the protagonists are rushing to a grave destiny that no amount of thrashing and gnashing and denial can escape.

That said, I was surprised at the sophistication in the use of the Tarot for this novel. The gypsy woman was presented as the High Priestess, although one that is a false prophetess, and the novel even mentioned the pillars of Boaz and Jachin! The drawn cards as far as I remember were the Fool and the Four of Cups. What set the chief of was his card - a reversed Chariot - the card of War. How the cards foreshadowed their fates was played beautifully.
Top   #36
Smiling's Avatar
Smiling  Smiling is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 831
Smiling 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _R_ View Post
For those who like Sherlock Holmes-type detective stories with a dash of psychic goings-on, Algernon Blackwood's "John Silence" stories will be a relish.

There's also William Hope Hodgson's "Carnacki the Ghost-Finder" series, also highly recommended.

Both of these collections are still in print, and are also available online since they're out of copyright by now.
Thank you; I will take a look.
Top   #37
Smiling's Avatar
Smiling  Smiling is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 831
Smiling 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
In the book, the gang allowed a band of gypsy (and I think Mexican - this is a Western after all) jugglers join them as they travelled. The leader asked one of them if they can predict the future. The juggler called a female psychic (his wife, I think). The woman faced away from the company, was blindfolded. As the man scampered across the gang, he would ask them to pick a card. He would shout the cards to the woman, who without looking at them, would immediately know who chose that card. She would then chant her prophecies in Spanish. It all ended in a commotion when the chief picked his card, and the heated warbling of the prophetess almost drove him to the edge.

Now, I don't particularly like Westerns, but for McCarthy I'd make an exception. His novels are always uber-masculine, savage, efficient, ruthlessly unsentimental, and gory. The Tarot scene rather caught me unawares, it was just so discordant with the theme and the setting. I know that the Tarot is not as deterministic as people think it is - but I think here it is meant to drive home the fact that whatever they do, the protagonists are rushing to a grave destiny that no amount of thrashing and gnashing and denial can escape.

That said, I was surprised at the sophistication in the use of the Tarot for this novel. The gypsy woman was presented as the High Priestess, although one that is a false prophetess, and the novel even mentioned the pillars of Boaz and Jachin! The drawn cards as far as I remember were the Fool and the Four of Cups. What set the chief of was his card - a reversed Chariot - the card of War. How the cards foreshadowed their fates was played beautifully.
Ah, I see! Thanks for the clarification; I have a better idea about both.
Top   #38
Disa's Avatar
Disa  Disa is offline
The last in line
 
Join Date: 14 Aug 2006
Location: Moon Gazing: Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,150
Disa 

A Mind for Murder: The Real-Life Files of a Psychic Investigator by Noreen Renier

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Murder-Re...ind+for+murder


I really enjoyed reading about her process. It's been a few years since I read it, but I liked it very much. A while after I read it, I saw her featured on one of those missing people detective shows.
Top   #39
smw's Avatar
smw  smw is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 26 Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 623
smw 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _R_ View Post
There's also William Hope Hodgson's "Carnacki the Ghost-Finder" series, also highly recommended.
I loved that book so eerie in it's descriptions of things breaking through and the lights system thing. I am going to have to re-read it.
Top   #40

 

More interesting threads on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum...





 


Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· What's New
· Tarot Card Meanings

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2021 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.