New Pallindini book

MissChiff

Does anybody have the New Pallindini book? Could you tell me a little bit about it?
Thank you

rwcarter

I have it at home (and I'm at work). What would you like to know? I also have the newer book where the artist talks about his works for the first time that I'm aware of in print.

cbiz83

Is it the LWB or is there a full size book? (I do have the lwb with the artist talking about the work as well)

rwcarter

Is it the LWB or is there a full size book? (I do have the lwb with the artist talking about the work as well)

There is a full sized companion book:

Reading Tarot Cards: A Guide to the New Palladini Tarot
Hansson, Susan
U.S. Games Systems, Inc, 1996
0-88079-997-8

There is also a newer book titled Painting the Soul: The Tarot Art of David Palladini by David Palladini and Anastasia Haysler.

MissChiff

I have it at home (and I'm at work). What would you like to know? I also have the newer book where the artist talks about his works for the first time that I'm aware of in print.

I'm just curious if it would be worth it to buy....

rwcarter

I'm just curious if it would be worth it to buy....

What I determine as worthwhile, you might find useless. What criteria do you use to determine whether or not something is worthwhile to buy?

Rodney

MissChiff

What I determine as worthwhile, you might find useless. What criteria do you use to determine whether or not something is worthwhile to buy?

Rodney

Does it enhance the deck? Some books are just the same ol thing... Is this one of those books that really bring something new? I just recived the deck and I'm really into it.

rwcarter

The book by Hansson has a 2 page Introduction that I can't be bothered to read.

The next chapter is on the structure of the tarot. It breaks the Majors into 3 groups of 7 plus the Fool. For the Minors, it tells you what the suit means, its element, season, astrological correspondence and general characteristics. It also gives you 7 color associations, numerological associations and Cabalistic associations. (The book spells it Cabalah.)

The Majors have a B&W picture of the card and a 2 page description that includes Numeral, Hebrew Letter, Cabalah, Astrological influence, a write-up about the archetype and then classical and modern meanings both upright and reversed. The books doesn't really go into the imagery on the cards themselves.

The Minors have the same size B&W picture of the card and a 1 page description. There is some discussion of the imagery in the Minors. Meanings and reversed meanings are given. There's no differentiation of modern meanings as with the Majors.

The last section is about reading the cards and includes 4 spreads including the ubiquitous Celtic Cross (along with a sample reading). There's a short section on "Tearoom Readings" that's different if nothing else.

Then there's bibliography. 218 pages. Worthwhile? Only you can decide that.

Painting the Soul covers both the New Palladini and Aquarian on facing pages. It contains no interpretations whatsoever. There is a description of what's going on in each card. For example, for the Nine Rods, it says:
A man holding a golden flowering Rod seems to be waiting. He earned his red feathers by his courage in battle. His nine Rods glow under a starry sky.
Then there's discussion about each card and sometimes the image is contrasted between the two decks. 184 numbered pages.

I find the artist's words (when the artist is the creator of the deck and not working from a script given by the author) much more worthwhile than those of an author who appears to have been brought in after the fact to write a book. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Rodney

MissChiff

Thank you very much Rodney for taking the time to review the book for me!!đź’• Like I had said I'm really interested in this deck... I'm not sure why yet.. But I'm really enjoying it right now.

Grizabella

I have the book, too. Somewhere---maybe still packed. It's pretty basic, as I recall.

Ahhh, took a little break and found the book. The one I have is by Susan Hansson. It's a nice little book packed full of information. Has a quite large section at the back showing quite a few spreads including the whole-deck spread which not too many resources cover.

I really recommend this book. It's packed with information. I didn't realize there was another one on this deck so I'll look for it.