Stuffed and loved!

Cocobird55

My daughter had a collection of small stuffed owls -- around 12. She named them all and kept track of what they were doing. It was fun to watch.

When she was a baby, she had a stuffed rabbit that she loved. I still have it -- it's a mess, but that's okay. I think she switched loyalties to a penguin.

celticnoodle

FINALLY! I had to break our family of babies up into groups, so bear with us, please! :) Before I post the pictures of SOME of our babies, I have to laugh with WolfyJames post of how she tried to sleep with all her babies and how she also thought dolls (except her Cabbage Patch doll) creepy. Our daughter was the same way! She much preferred to play with stuffed animals as her babies, and never liked doll babies. But, my parents bought her Cabbage Patch dolls anyway. She didn't really like them much either tbh, and unbeknownst to me, when she was about 10 or 11yoa, she snuck them out of the house to sell at her best friends mothers yard sale. She only asked for $2.00 a piece, back when these dolls were still very much wanted. If my mother ever found out - she'd have died! :eek: One woman bought EVERY doll she had--most were barely touched and all still had their birth certificate or adoption certificate--I forget which they came with and their original clothes and shoes. That lady left VERY happy with about 10 dolls. *sigh*

But, these are OUR babies who are usually scattered around the house. However, I forgot that I packed the ones who lived primarily upstairs in our farmhouse into a rubbermade container to move to the NEW house and have yet to be moved. I was frantic when I couldn't find them--but FINALLY did locate them Sunday evening, safe and sound. They will go to the new house this coming weekend to be rejoined with the buddies up there already. and, without further a'do! HERE they all are! :D

1. The first photo are all of MY personal baby and childhood babies, that are still with us.
Bozo I rec'd when I was 3 or 4yrs old. His clothes were quite torn up, so my mother made him a new suit, which he loves! Beside him is Teddy. (how original, huh?) Teddy sings "Teddy Bears Picnic" STILL! even after all these years. My Aunt & Uncle gave this bear to me when I was also about 3 or 4 yrs old. In front of him, looking so tiny and cute still is the oldest bear I have. Dad sent it to me when he was in Australia after I was born. My dad was gone for about 2yrs and first saw me when I was 18mos. old. But, I had this kaola bear, I call "Quala or Qualy" with me in my crib. That Dog, looking cute as usual is nestled beside Teddy. He also use to sing, but I can't recall what and his singing days are over. Poor That dog, can no longer talk. He and TEddy are both very well loved and their fur is pretty much gone, now. Then, little Pinky on the end is a pink and white teddy bear that I also got as a newborn. I rcvd "That Dog" when I was about 1 or 2 for my birthday. Pinky was rcvd when I was a wee babe too. So, the oldest is Qually, then Pinky, then That Dog, with Teddy & Bozo as the younger of this crowd. :D

2. This picture is of Bud the Bear. So named because everyone called my dad by this nickname, "Bud". :) It was HIS bear when he was baptized before he and his twin were even a week old! So, this Steif bear is now 95 years old! :bugeyed: His aunt/godmother made the clothes for him. :laugh:

3. These live at the River House with us. They "mind" the house while we aren't there. ;)
Elvis the Hound Dog is on the floor. He generally lives in the guest room, on top of the bed. He thinks its HIS room. The little white doll was made by an Amish woman and I purchased her. She doesn't really have a name. Next to her are two little black dolls/a Mommy doll and her baby, that I found in a store. They were also handmade by someone. I fell in love with them immediately and bought Mama Cassie and Baby Samantha a rocking chair to sit in. :heart:

4. Our little beanbags. The 2 black ones are both called "Noodles". "Noodle" was a nickname my friends gave me when I was a kid, because I was so skinny. My husband thought it a great nickname & still calls me that. So, I call him "Boodles" as it rhymes & his "Human" name begins with a "B". I got the one white and brown dog w/a spot over his eye & one brown ear--to be "Boodles". The other brown spotted dog up front is Dagwood Dog. and the one in the back, is Poochie. these dogs are all scattered around in different places upstairs for the most part.

and, this is really only a small portion of our "babies". I didn't want to HOG the whole thread, but we do have many more! Elfie & elfkins and maybe I'll post them later. They are the tricksters in our homes. They hang from lights and show up in various places all the time. Elfie is more disciplined though. He generally sits in the LR at the river house and talks to the ladies there. Though, he also likes to share his company with Elvis the Hound dog and talk about the good ol' days. :)

Attachments

• 20170117_114248.jpg
    20170117_114248.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 20170117_114104.jpg
    20170117_114104.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20170115_130607 (2).jpg
    20170115_130607 (2).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20170117_114653.jpg
    20170117_114653.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 138

RiverRunsDeep

Adorable babies, CN. I laughed so hard about your daughter selling those Cabbage Patch dolls. I can only imagine how happy that lady was with her new purchases! :laugh::laugh:

gregory

My daughter had a collection of small stuffed owls -- around 12. She named them all and kept track of what they were doing. It was fun to watch.

When she was a baby, she had a stuffed rabbit that she loved. I still have it -- it's a mess, but that's okay. I think she switched loyalties to a penguin.
My daughter still has the stuffed dog she got for her first birthday - he has a weird name, as she was trying to name him for a TV character she loved, and at that age - she couldn't pronounce it ! He has had at least three skin transplants (by me...) and - well, let's just say she turns 50 next year and she wouldn't be without him !

Oh children and YARD sales. When we had one, the girls were both selling their own stuff. I was appalled when that same daughter sold her SKIS for $5. I said look, you are really undervaluing here.... She came over 10 minutes later to tell me she had just sold all the clothes I made for her Barbie dolls for $20 :bugeyed: and would that make up ? }) She never really LIKED Barbies; she used to do horrible things to their hair and then bite their legs off - but she did like them to be well dressed. The wedding dress I made might actually have been worth a bit, come to think ! It was FABULOUS !

Padma

Nice bunch of stuffies, CN! I like the really, really old bear :)

I am another of those who found dolls distasteful. They lived in my closet, while my stuffies all lived on my bed. :)

celticnoodle

Adorable babies, CN. I laughed so hard about your daughter selling those Cabbage Patch dolls. I can only imagine how happy that lady was with her new purchases! :laugh::laugh:

T.Y. Yes..and the kid was happy because she had enough money to go buy a bottle of soda and a candy bar and "STILL have money left over!" :laugh:

My daughter still has the stuffed dog she got for her first birthday - he has a weird name, as she was trying to name him for a TV character she loved, and at that age - she couldn't pronounce it ! He has had at least three skin transplants (by me...) and - well, let's just say she turns 50 next year and she wouldn't be without him !
what a nice "stuffed" grandma you are! :laugh: Mine badly need "skin" transplants. I once checked into sending "that dog" to the Teddy Bear Factory in VT to be re-skinned, but the price was a bit out of our range then.

Oh children and YARD sales. When we had one, the girls were both selling their own stuff. I was appalled when that same daughter sold her SKIS for $5. I said look, you are really undervaluing here.... She came over 10 minutes later to tell me she had just sold all the clothes I made for her Barbie dolls for $20 :bugeyed: and would that make up ? }) She never really LIKED Barbies; she used to do horrible things to their hair and then bite their legs off - but she did like them to be well dressed. The wedding dress I made might actually have been worth a bit, come to think ! It was FABULOUS !
:laugh: she learned QUICKLY! a well dressed barbie w/o any legs and messy hair...hmmmm.

Nice bunch of stuffies, CN! I like the really, really old bear :)

I am another of those who found dolls distasteful. They lived in my closet, while my stuffies all lived on my bed. :)
:) Thank you, Padma. I can remember when we were little kids, (maybe 7 or 8yrs old), and Dad showed us his teddy bear and baby blanket. We felt so sorry for him because his teddy bear was not soft and cuddly and his blanket, (well, keep in mind he was in his mid to late 40s by this time) had also seen better days. :laugh: But seeing and having "Bud" bear makes me happy. :)

Mi-Shell

Well, a few days ago I checked in here and saw, that "Hupfy" had hijacked my poooter, posted something here and promptly killed the thread..... :(
I am very glad,it is alive and well again and I just read up on all the recent posts and checked out all the pictures ♥

So maybe I dare posting a few pics of "THE COLLECTION"
Pic 1 is the ones, that reside in the glass case in the bedroom; the ones we did have since childhood or that have "special meaning", like the Teddy Bear I gave Peter on the day we emigrated to Canada.
As you see, Madame Hupfy is back in the box, where she belongs......

Then there are the glass cabinets upstairs with the Canadian Wildlife collection and the all the other critters in yet another glass cabinet......

Attachments

• DSCN3382.jpg
    DSCN3382.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN3383.jpg
    DSCN3383.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN3385.jpg
    DSCN3385.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN3388.jpg
    DSCN3388.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN3389.jpg
    DSCN3389.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 151

Padma

No way! Hupfy didn't kill the thread - she enriched it :love: it was a very interesting post! And clearly, you have both led a very interesting life.

You have *a lot* of those Steiff toys, Mi-Shell! That is quite the collection! :bugeyed: I will have to keep my eyes peeled at garage sales, to see if I can find you any :)

celticnoodle

WOW, Mi-Shell!!! That is quite the collection! :) I LOVE IT!!! :) I think we need to get some shelves like you have for all sour stuffed critters/kids to live in. :D

Very nice! and, have to ask, in the 3rd pic, is that also a stuffed alligator in there on the bottom shelf?! Don't see many of them around. :)

Love your stuffed and loved babies!

Mi-Shell

WOW, Mi-Shell!!!
Very nice! and, have to ask, in the 3rd pic, is that also a stuffed alligator in there on the bottom shelf?! Don't see many of them around. :)

Love your stuffed and loved babies!
Yes, that is an Alligator hand-puppet and also the Crocodile is from Steiff.
Some of my critters are from "Schuco" or also "Herman"

Should I admit, that that is not all? :blushing:
There are quite a few Critters, that escaped the cabinets - or they at some point were gifts from friends or clients and they are now "hanging out somewhere"
There for example is Peter's Bear shelf - among all his archaeology books...
Then the upstairs gang, put together for the picture on my Tarot reading table with some decks in the background.
And pic 3, the living room ones, that are not fitting into the cabinet.

Then pic 4 are all the Bearpaw Jewellery employees, smallish Bears, that work as business card holders while we are on shows and markets. They are also supposed to bite shoplifters, but sometimes it happens that one of THEM gets shoplifted... :bugeyed:
The survivors of the year are allowed to sit underneath the stairs during the winter, instead of having to be in on of the show- bins in the basement with pliers and wire and....

The last pic are all "Specials" = physical representations of some of my Miahanits.
Sure, there is an Owl for Nishia,
a Snow Leopard that was a present from Peter a few years ago - reminding of our Clan Guardian, Ee'ren Omsur,
There is a Steiff Door-Mouse/ Siebenschlaefer = Sevensleeper (who remembers that post?)
A Yak, made in the Tibetan refugee camp where I worked alongside a Nepali shaman a few years ago.
Then there is the loooong and unsightly attempt from Steiff to create a Siberian Ferret -

The little Bear in the background has a peculiar story that is a bit heart wrenching and I will tell it in another post - maybe.....

Attachments

• Peters Bear shelf.jpg
    Peters Bear shelf.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN3393.jpg
    DSCN3393.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN3399.jpg
    DSCN3399.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN3396.jpg
    DSCN3396.jpg