What's in your spiritual toolbox?

Morwenna

Wow. :bugeyed:

BodhiSeed, thank you for that wonderful chart! I ought to copy that out for myself.

Tanga, thank you for posting that list. Now I know what I ought to be doing every day which I don't! You might just have got me started up again. *blush*

Euripides, I understand completely about the "magic"! That's one of the really good things that stuck with me about the Catholic church: the stained glass windows, the incense, and so on. I can't speak too much about the music in more recent years, though; ever since Vatican II when we all started singing, the hymns in English were downright wimpy, and the performance by the congregants didn't improve them any. They were all used to listening to a choir, and singing out like the Protestants just didn't seem right to a lot of them, and they often weren't sure enough of their own voices to dare to stand out. When I went to church with my parents, my mother would try to quiet me down because I did stand out, but I reminded her that that's what we were supposed to be doing, and I just might inspire others. It's gotten better lately, a little. But what really gets me going is those old Latin hymns (some of them medieval) that you get on classical radio. Aaahhh... :)

BodhiSeed

Celticnoodle, I use mala beads occasionally (you've reminded me to pull them out again when you mentioned your rosary). Having something tangible to use as you say a sacred/meaningful phrase really can help with focus. :) It is one of those ritual tools (like incense and other implements) that symbolically tell my mind I'm setting aside sacred time.

Morwenna, when you wrote "Now I know what I ought to be doing every day," it made me take an inventory of all the spiritual 'paraphernalia,' books and knowledge I've collected over the years. I have to honestly ask myself, "What purpose are they serving?" As Chogyam Trungpa stated, "The problem is that ego can convert anything to its own use, even spirituality."

celticnoodle

Wow. :bugeyed:

BodhiSeed, thank you for that wonderful chart! I ought to copy that out for myself.
yes, same here. I think I have seen it once before though maybe on here at A.T. but, I am wanting to also print this it out.
Euripides, I understand completely about the "magic"! That's one of the really good things that stuck with me about the Catholic church: the stained glass windows, the incense, and so on. I can't speak too much about the music in more recent years, though; ever since Vatican II when we all started singing, the hymns in English were downright wimpy, and the performance by the congregants didn't improve them any. They were all used to listening to a choir, and singing out like the Protestants just didn't seem right to a lot of them, and they often weren't sure enough of their own voices to dare to stand out. When I went to church with my parents, my mother would try to quiet me down because I did stand out, but I reminded her that that's what we were supposed to be doing, and I just might inspire others. It's gotten better lately, a little. But what really gets me going is those old Latin hymns (some of them medieval) that you get on classical radio. Aaahhh... :)

And, Morwenna, this had me in stitches! :laugh: T.Y. for the laugh. I was 6 when Vatican II made the changes, so still young to really remember all of it, but also old enough to remember some of it. Especially the choir & the singing. I use to enjoy the "High Mass" with my grandmother, except the going to Mass so early in the morning, but there also was something special about all of it that is sadly missing now, don't you think?

Celticnoodle, I use mala beads occasionally (you've reminded me to pull them out again when you mentioned your rosary). Having something tangible to use as you say a sacred/meaningful phrase really can help with focus. :) It is one of those ritual tools (like incense and other implements) that symbolically tell my mind I'm setting aside sacred time.
I also have some Mala beads myself. I do love to hold them too while meditating at times. When I use them, I often will concentrate and repeat one word or a phrase that feels right.

katyanne

Oops posted this on the wrong thread sorry.

zhadee

What a lovely thread. Let me see what I have to share. =)
My toolbox contains tarot, lenormand, different kinds of oracles.
Stones. Essential oils. Herbs. Selfmade powders to sprinkle, in order to attract what I want or keep at bay what I don't want to have in my life.
Some relaxed superstitions. Reiki. Walking. Writing. Storytelling.

I like a mix of things that calm my mind, put me into focus, so the creative juice may get into flow, unhindered by negative thoughts and fears. I don't mind rituals, though I find it hard to follow them.
My best abilities are imagination and visualisation, which makes it difficult for me to remember the precise execution of plans and tasks.
I like to invent a setting and work with anything that is available in the present moment.

BodhiSeed

What a lovely thread. Let me see what I have to share. =)
My toolbox contains tarot, lenormand, different kinds of oracles.
Stones. Essential oils. Herbs. Selfmade powders to sprinkle, in order to attract what I want or keep at bay what I don't want to have in my life.
Some relaxed superstitions. Reiki. Walking. Writing. Storytelling.

I like a mix of things that calm my mind, put me into focus, so the creative juice may get into flow, unhindered by negative thoughts and fears. I don't mind rituals, though I find it hard to follow them.
My best abilities are imagination and visualisation, which makes it difficult for me to remember the precise execution of plans and tasks.
I like to invent a setting and work with anything that is available in the present moment.

Zhadee, your mention of Reiki made me think of how easy it is to think of spirituality as a path that I get something out of rather than of being of service to others. Reiki (from what I've seen) is about that kind of compassionate offering. I have a couple of friends who volunteer at the oncology room at the hospital and do Reiki on people who are getting chemo (with their permission of course). What a great spiritual practice!

zhadee

Zhadee, your mention of Reiki made me think of how easy it is to think of spirituality as a path that I get something out of rather than of being of service to others. Reiki (from what I've seen) is about that kind of compassionate offering. I have a couple of friends who volunteer at the oncology room at the hospital and do Reiki on people who are getting chemo (with their permission of course). What a great spiritual practice!
Hi BodhiSeed, I was afraid I might have killed the thread. :D
I'm a geriatric nurse, all my clients get their daily dose of Reiki. I may talk to their joints and backs with my hands without the need to explain what I do.

BodhiSeed

Hi BodhiSeed, I was afraid I might have killed the thread. :D
I'm a geriatric nurse, all my clients get their daily dose of Reiki. I may talk to their joints and backs with my hands without the need to explain what I do.
:laugh: :D
Your clients are very lucky!

euripides

I love that you're talking about giving. While I understand the 'put your own oxygen mask on first' idea, which is absolutely valid, it's so easy to become self-absorbed.

HearthCricket

This is a lovely topic and such a pleasure to read through everyone's spiritual tools! Thank you for creating it!

Here are mine: Nature. Trees, woods in particular, with bubbling brooks and meandering streams, birds, wild critters of all sorts, sun, clouds, wind, snow, leaves, acorns, pinecones. This is my world. Beloved tarot and oracle decks, a jasper skull, my bone runes, fairy themed prayer beads, Bear, Owl and Fox Zuni fetishes, nalebinding needle for marking and even using as a wand if necessary, garnet and turquoise, a small set of dice, an icon and a statue of Thor and Odin, my favourite rattles. Contemplative prayer, divination, mindfulness, journeying, journaling, poetry, quiet time for reflection and dreams, connecting with the fae and a smathering of books. These are the essence of my being, my soul, my spirituality. :)