Barajas espanolas anyone?

Nemia

I read a book by Kara Janssen (Kindle Unlimited) about the baraja. It's very tarot-oriented, reminds me very much of Hexe Claire's German Skat cards video course. I'll check out your sources because I'm not sure transferring tarot meanings is the right way to go. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is not, at least that's not what I want to do with playing cards.

I'm glad I wrote that down because it was not so clear to me before.

Oh, and I'll see whether Yoav's method works. I think it will. (I don't have Enriquez' book)

baconwaffles

I read a book by Kara Janssen (Kindle Unlimited) about the baraja. It's very tarot-oriented, reminds me very much of Hexe Claire's German Skat cards video course. I'll check out your sources because I'm not sure transferring tarot meanings is the right way to go. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is not, at least that's not what I want to do with playing cards.

I'm glad I wrote that down because it was not so clear to me before.

Oh, and I'll see whether Yoav's method works. I think it will. (I don't have Enriquez' book)
Oh yeah, Yoav's method fits nicely with playing cards. Really, every one has their way of approaching cartomancy and some people like putting tarot meanings with playings cards and pips, that's good of it works for the individual. In my opinion, like Enrique has mentioned and in my loose words, it just adds layers of information to something that is clear and precise when we just learn to look at the cards. Inherent to cartomancy is a very close to nature and clear approach to reading that almost seems banal in its simplicity. So much so that many people disqualify this approach and feel the need to add esoterica. I would say try it out, practice Yoav's method and practice looking at the cards, how they speak and interact. It is very lively.
I also recommend these sites:
Taroflexions.com (Camelia Elias has a trove of great info here)
Mistandether.com (this is mine and I do talk about these thingsšŸ˜€ in depth)

Migdal93

This thread truly is awesome. Thank you so much for your help and links baconwaffles!!

Nemia I'll check that book but like you, I also don't want the same tarot approach.

Nemia

Baconwaffles, thank you so much for your help. I have a much better idea now - have been disoriented concerning playing cards in spite of my fascination with them. This has been helpful not only concerning the baraja (which I will buy asap).

baconwaffles

Great, I love cartomancy so it is with passion that I share what I have learned and am still learning.
Radiant blessings!

AlNablus

Any opinions, ideas, experiences, book tips, knowledge...?

Decks based on Spanish playing cards as this

http://www.giornalesiracusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Carte-siciliane.jpg

and similar ones are common in all former Spanish colonies.

These are the first decks we use when we learn the ropes, because they are the only decks around, and tarot can be very expensive to buy for teenagers.

If you want to learn the traditional way, then just don't learn from books.

There are established basic meanings for each one of the cards in the baraja and all of its derivations. Basic meanings are very simple: they were created in the 1800s by readers, most of whom were women with little or no formal education. These meanings are a springboard you can use to add your own layer of meaning.

Can they be found in books? In part. Mary Greer's The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals contains several traditional meanings she compiled from tarot booklets.

Some of the tarot booklets she consulted - as the ones published by a certain Docteur Marius - applied some of the meanings of the baraja to minor arcana. Other booklets were published in France, and give completely different meanings we don't use because they just don't work.

If anyone wants to learn how to use the baraja and similar decks, I can post the meanings of each one of the cards, and a couple basic spreads we use.

AlNablus

....because I'm not sure transferring tarot meanings is the right way to go. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is not, at least that's not what I want to do with playing cards.

It can be the other way round, with playing cards' meaning being transfered to tarot, or combined with tarot meanings. Then, some cards play the function normally attributed to the Major Arcana.

zhadee

If anyone wants to learn how to use the baraja and similar decks, I can post the meanings of each one of the cards, and a couple basic spreads we use.
Ahoy AlNablus, I'd be much interested to learn them!

Nemia

Oh yes, that would be wonderful!

Migdal93

Wow that would be great, I want to learn too!