Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Le Fanu

Sidhe

Cardstock yes, but size isn't. It's less "squat", less square than the Bonefire.

If you like the images then you'll like it. It has a sort of visionary quality. I don't use it - I have to say - and don't entirely gel with the artwork but I do think it has a sort of higher, visionary quality which is not a common quality in most decks.

G6

Cardstock yes, but size isn't. It's less "squat", less square than the Bonefire.

If you like the images then you'll like it. It has a sort of visionary quality. I don't use it - I have to say - and don't entirely gel with the artwork but I do think it has a sort of higher, visionary quality which is not a common quality in most decks.

Thanks, I'm happy it's thinner than Bonefire. Unfortunately, the dimension of Bonefire is too awkward for me.

Carojulie

Tarot of Sidhe

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sidhe/

I like the images in this deck from what I've seen.

Is the cardstock and size same as Bonefire Tarot?

Pros/Cons?

Keeper?

🙏🏻

G6

Hi G6, the images are stunning. Stunning.
Unfortunately, cardstockwise it is the same kind of glossy beer-coaster cards that stick to one-another as the Bonefire.... wich is probably the reason why I almost never use either of these decks.
Both Bonefire and Sidhe deserve better than that.
Cardstock quality and the feel it gives in my hands are hugely important to me, and the tarot of the Sidhe was a fail in that regard. Too bad because I really love the imagery and what it has to tell.
I tried talcum to make the cards more manageable, but that did not help at all, just rendered them whitish and then I had to wipe them one by one, and the whitisheness did not completely go away.
I am thinking of trying a softening method I read on the forum, to try and make the cardstock more supple (from Umbrae I think, from memory)

G6

Hi G6, the images are stunning. Stunning.
Unfortunately, cardstockwise it is the same kind of glossy beer-coaster cards that stick to one-another as the Bonefire.... wich is probably the reason why I almost never use either of these decks.
Both Bonefire and Sidhe deserve better than that.
Cardstock quality and the feel it gives in my hands are hugely important to me, and the tarot of the Sidhe was a fail in that regard. Too bad because I really love the imagery and what it has to tell.
I tried talcum to make the cards more manageable, but that did not help at all, just rendered them whitish and then I had to wipe them one by one, and the whitisheness did not completely go away.
I am thinking of trying a softening method I read on the forum, to try and make the cardstock more supple (from Umbrae I think, from memory)

Yeah, I'm afraid of the same thing that it'll be like Bonefire with imagery I love and cards I don't want to handle. Schiffer should get a copy of Dark Carnival because it has the same aesthetic as their black cardstock, but it's just a bit thinner and less glossy, so it's easier to handle and the color pops more.

Wulfrun

I don't like the Yeager at all. I don't like the boarders and Aeclectic doesn't say great things about it but if you have to have it , it starts at 14 bucks used on Amazon. I wouldn't pay anymore for it. The Myers is nice I won't disagree with you on that one but used on Amazon 60 bucks? And new 1000 bucks? I know they can get rediculous on Amazon but please! It's a nice deck but do you really really really have to have it???😂

I don't really have to have either of them but they have a strange allure that keeps creeping back:D. They're defo moving down the list of priorities though and will be filed under the "only if there's ever a ridiculously cheap copy going on Ebay" section!

page of ghosts

Enabling for the Jolanda Tarot. I was looking if we have any Norwegian online stores who sell tarot and came across this deck, very affordable compared to amazon. Had given up on it since it's oop(?) but now that it's within my grasp.. it could work. If any of you have it, how is it like? I'm not a big snob on cardstock, but wondering about the art, readability and if it follows any established traditions.

Rhinemaiden

Jolanda

Enabling for the Jolanda Tarot. I was looking if we have any Norwegian online stores who sell tarot and came across this deck, very affordable compared to amazon. Had given up on it since it's oop(?) but now that it's within my grasp.. it could work. If any of you have it, how is it like? I'm not a big snob on cardstock, but wondering about the art, readability and if it follows any established traditions.

I have this deck and like it... it's a very positive, charming, uplifting deck. Highly recommended. If you have a chance to buy it, do it! :thumbsup:

Go here for more info:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/jolanda/

https://tarotinateacup.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/jolanda-tarot-review/

page of ghosts

I have this deck and like it... it's a very positive, charming, uplifting deck. Highly recommended. If you have a chance to buy it, do it! :thumbsup:

Go here for more info:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/jolanda/

https://tarotinateacup.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/jolanda-tarot-review/

Thanks! Yes, it's a little spontaneous decision but I feel like going for it. I don't have any Scandi-tarots and feel like it's something I'm lacking. This one looks very cool and reminds of children's book illustrations. Also the book on the deck is available in swedish so if I want to read it I'm good!

Carojulie

Hello,

I have this deck, the version with lilac borders. I was not aware that it was out of print. There is an older version with blue-grey borders apparently, and if you can get this one, it seems better to me because the borders look better (the lilac borders are not even, the bottom border is wider, and there is the nam of the cards in several languages along the right vertical border.... I am never fond of this. The older version is simpler and looks better IMO)

Apart from the borders, I really like this deck for the art. But it does not always follow tradition, some cards are RWS inspired but many others look different. A few seem Thoth inspired, but not all. For that reason I find it a little difficult to read with this deck. I like when decks bring a new way to look at a card, new symbolism, new way to depict a card, but it throws me when I meet a card and the picture depicts something that seems entirely different from the traditional meaning of that card.... For example I like when the five of wands depicts some sort of conflict, rivalry, debate, play fight..... here it is the two of wands that seems to depict that sort of thing. The five of wands pictures five wands bearing birds heads (like in Thoth), erupting from a volcano, not far from a smiling sphynx and an ostrich (the big bird, sorry if I have the name wrong). So it could mean rivalry, someone putting another to test... but there seems to be more into this image than that, and the image is really very different from a traditional 5 of wands. Many cards are like that.

If you go deeper into the deck you will find it charming and interesting, but at first sight it can be a tad confusing if you are used to read with traditional imagerie. It depends if you like that sort of escape from tradition or not.
The art is really attractive, in a naive sort of way, I find.

page of ghosts

Hello,

I have this deck, the version with lilac borders. I was not aware that it was out of print. There is an older version with blue-grey borders apparently, and if you can get this one, it seems better to me because the borders look better (the lilac borders are not even, the bottom border is wider, and there is the nam of the cards in several languages along the right vertical border.... I am never fond of this. The older version is simpler and looks better IMO)

Apart from the borders, I really like this deck for the art. But it does not always follow tradition, some cards are RWS inspired but many others look different. A few seem Thoth inspired, but not all. For that reason I find it a little difficult to read with this deck. I like when decks bring a new way to look at a card, new symbolism, new way to depict a card, but it throws me when I meet a card and the picture depicts something that seems entirely different from the traditional meaning of that card.... For example I like when the five of wands depicts some sort of conflict, rivalry, debate, play fight..... here it is the two of wands that seems to depict that sort of thing. The five of wands pictures five wands bearing birds heads (like in Thoth), erupting from a volcano, not far from a smiling sphynx and an ostrich (the big bird, sorry if I have the name wrong). So it could mean rivalry, someone putting another to test... but there seems to be more into this image than that, and the image is really very different from a traditional 5 of wands. Many cards are like that.

If you go deeper into the deck you will find it charming and interesting, but at first sight it can be a tad confusing if you are used to read with traditional imagerie. It depends if you like that sort of escape from tradition or not.
The art is really attractive, in a naive sort of way, I find.

I'm aware of the older edition, The Swedish Witch Tarot. Unfortunately it's not available to me and might be even rarer than the Jolanda, but I'm not sure, haven't really looked around that much but it hasn't got any listings on the aeclectic page so it's probably not cheap and easy to find I guess. The webshop only has Jolanda.

I get what you mean about the 2 of wands having the conflict. I have The Halloween tarot and there is some element of conflict there too, with the big vegetable man having to hold the two fighting imps away from each other. That one is mostly RWS derived but the fighting imps doesn't remind me too much of the RWS image. I sort of get it as conflicting ideas that you have to take charge of and control.

There is a book for the deck though and I can read Swedish ok so if I get really stumped by the images I'll get that to go with it. I'm very fond of the RWS but I'm slowly branching out to learn other stuff as well as being very curious about the Thoth recently so I think I'll be ok. Thanks for your input :D