Room as an alter?

ravenest

Hi people :)

I have been thinking about making the small spare room into my alter. However I'm not quite sure how this would work , or even if it would be a good idea. It's a room that I currently do massage in and will continue to do once everything is set up. I feel like I'll be better able to help/heal people when they come in. My thoughts are to dedicate each wall, which just so happen to be on the compass points, to the four elements.

I would love to get your thoughts on this idea. If this was your room/alter what would you do? What would be the pros/cons of having a room as an alter?

:heart: Fee

I would make an altar IN the room and maybe make the room a 'temple' or similar space .

ravenest

I have little Altars around the house. :). Two are "working" ones - where I change stuff on them and leave spells (prayers) to mature.
Windowsills are good.
And I have a Tarot Altar tacked to my bedroom wall (cut out plastic pockets that I can slip cards into) - opposite the Kung Fu (3rd form) poster. :joke:
My tiny back yard has 4 quarter Altars in it. The South Quarter is the "working" one.

If I plan an indoor ritual - I may put together a specific Altar for it (I have a collection of
props), locking myself in the office space, and "drawing" the circle on the floor.

Out in the coppice (behind my tiny back yard) I have a little corner set up where I go and
sit at full moon and do ritual or contemplate the night. I sometimes bring and set up an Altar - sometimes not. :) :) :).

(I'm currently not in a ritual group - outdoor groups meet in the woods and do the same space clear and Altar set up stuff - take it all away when done. Indoor groups will have quarter Altars in the appropriate corners of the room that is their current "Temple/Sacred Space".).

I git little altar here and there ... the water one has been amusing; some shells and a brass Hindu mermaid statue, with solid silver octopus guardian - on the window sill behind the kitchen sink tap.

Things progressed over time ... now, as I wrote, I am sitting near the new 'water altar' same arrangement but instead if the sill it sits on a new fish tank with native rainbow fish , mini-catfish and various aquatic plants, holy rocks and weed covered wood . At night it has back lighting .

As winter is arising the 'fire altar' is burning each night.

In the day I open up all the air altars :)

and the earth altar just stays where it is .... a bit tilted since the cabin's foundations have subsided a bit .

The altar to see what is happening in the evil mundane world is to the east (tv)

and the corner altar covered in my Tibetan ritual objects is dust and web covered in the corner.

theFeeLion

I git little altar here and there ... the water one has been amusing; some shells and a brass Hindu mermaid statue, with solid silver octopus guardian - on the window sill behind the kitchen sink tap.

Things progressed over time ... now, as I wrote, I am sitting near the new 'water altar' same arrangement but instead if the sill it sits on a new fish tank with native rainbow fish , mini-catfish and various aquatic plants, holy rocks and weed covered wood . At night it has back lighting .

As winter is arising the 'fire altar' is burning each night.

In the day I open up all the air altars :)

and the earth altar just stays where it is .... a bit tilted since the cabin's foundations have subsided a bit .

The altar to see what is happening in the evil mundane world is to the east (tv)

and the corner altar covered in my Tibetan ritual objects is dust and web covered in the corner.
I love your descriptions of your alters! :D Makes me think that I should start thinking outside the box :D

Tanga

Ha - "solid silver octopus guardian"... I LIKE the sound of that. :joke:

@theFeeLion - some more shots of "Altars" to give you ideas perhaps...

Fire... could be an ornate red handled pair of scissors... a decorative red ribbon... a red/orange tassle or pompon you've made yourself, a beautiful Tarot card (you could colour copy your favourite) in shades of orange/red...a piece of red silk... a plaited red chord with beads in it... a red pouch with some sweet smelling herbs in (Fire/Sun herbs in it if you like - chamomile, angelica, coriander, sessame seeds... check out a correspnondence book such as Cunningham's... or online). A cute little red soft toy...
What else says "Fire" to you?

The following photo's are:
1) Left side of windowsill of my guest/client bathroom (the Right side has The Lord :) )
2) Buddha on the wall coming up the stairs from the hall
3) Earth and Water Angels hanging in my Therapy room
4) My Tarot Altar on the wall - too busy for a Therapy room - but it gives you ideas of
stuff-on-the-wall.

Attachments

• AltarLadyWithRabbit (Andraste).JPG
    AltarLadyWithRabbit (Andraste).JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 145
  • BuddhaMirror.JPG
    BuddhaMirror.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 144
  • Angels.JPG
    Angels.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 146
  • AltarTarotWall.jpg
    AltarTarotWall.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 138

Morwenna

Unfortunately I can't put anything on top of the wardrobe as it's built in and takes up the majority of the fire wall. That's part of the reason I'm having difficulty with what to have as a representation. I'm thinking it might have to be something I can hang.

What a great idea! I'm pretty sure I have some small canvases floating around somewhere too :D looks like I may be doing some painting :D

If you can paint pictures the world is your window! Artwork, you can put anywhere. And the images come straight from your imagination, so they're utterly personal. I love it!! :D

ncharge

My altar room has my two altars (a main altar with the Dieties and working space and an ancestral altar that includes a wax cross that has been in the family for over 300 years) as well as wall shelves with the crystal skulls on it and my active spirits (in pots and dolls). It is my working space, where I can communicate with my spirit team, meditate with the skulls, honor my ancestors, give offerings, do spells, etc. I had to consolidate everything because my pets kept eating the offerings and drinking the libations, and basically wreaked havoc on the altar and spirit pots. The pots really didn't like being a plaything for cats or a chew toy for dogs. Here are photos.

Attachments

• Main Altar.JPG
    Main Altar.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Ancestral Altar.JPG
    Ancestral Altar.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 153
  • The Dark Baby all Grown Up.JPG
    The Dark Baby all Grown Up.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Saturn and Creature of the Veil.JPG
    Saturn and Creature of the Veil.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Jupiter and Earth.JPG
    Jupiter and Earth.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 149

G6

My altar room has my two altars (a main altar with the Dieties and working space and an ancestral altar that includes a wax cross that has been in the family for over 300 years) as well as wall shelves with the crystal skulls on it and my active spirits (in pots and dolls). It is my working space, where I can communicate with my spirit team, meditate with the skulls, honor my ancestors, give offerings, do spells, etc. I had to consolidate everything because my pets kept eating the offerings and drinking the libations, and basically wreaked havoc on the altar and spirit pots. The pots really didn't like being a plaything for cats or a chew toy for dogs. Here are photos.

Is that a real human skull? If so how/where did you get that?

Luna's Crone

Everything fits so well and wonderful. Would you like a white table cloth made for under the ancestor cloth with a bit of red trim to match the cross? Is it the red cross in the Bell the one that is old? do you have an old family bible with a list of ancestors thru the years. Saturn and African look so poppy and great together. I love that room. It would be a space I would spead alot of time in. The wall cloth was perfect. I would not have thought of that at all. Thats how I want my live-in part of my gn horse trailer to be like. but too small. Its my girl cave on the road and at home. ;-)

I am sooooo happy and the room makes me happy!!!!!!

Luna's Crone

I just thought of something, as long as Saturn's energetic spirit doesn't teach bad things to the african spirit of pride, grace and loyalty, (I see him standing tall and proud, but still a bit unsure of the situation) they may turn out to be great buds!!!

Luna's Crone

Tanga

love your pictures!!!!