Sakki-sakki: The Hermit

Tesseljoan

The Hermit is always one of those cards that I look at first in a deck. It is for some reason important to me that I like the Hermit in a deck.

And this is some Hermit! WOW! It is one of my favourite cards in the deck.

He looks as if he's made out of the rocks around him: solid stone. But he absolutely isn't, I mean: look at those shoes! For me, it says something about what's found inside that matters in this card: that Hermit must be hiding some pretty fancy outfit underneath that rock-robe...

I had this card in a reading once, and his shoes reminded me about that the spiritual path doesn't have to be always dead-serious, that it can be frivolous as well. That a walk, listening to some loved music or eating good food with care and attention can be as good for your soul as meditating, or delving endlessly deep into your tarot cards until you don't know what's left, right or centre. Frivolousness is allowed too!

What are your thoughts and expierences with this card?

M-Press

Hi there!
I loved reading what you wrote about the Hermit!
yes, indeed, his shoes give away some of his outfit! When we need to isolate ourselves, we don't really need to change our nature...We are still who we are, especially "underneath"...

i liked your description of the solid stone and the rocks. Very subtle qualities, nothing flashy yet dignified and with a lot of age and wisdom..

I heard some comments about his "face": is his cape totally closed? does he only look inside? or he just looks at the other side, so we just can't see his face but it's there?
When I made the card, I didn't want his face to be seen, but I didn't close the cape completely. Nevertheless, i like this possibility. That he looks only inside his cape, he sees and deals only with himself, not looking at the surroundings, but those he KNOWS, and he walks safely following the collective unconcsious steps, that have been walked long before he stepped there. He does not create a new path now, but he gets in touch with the path he has inside. He's taking a look at the "map" of his self and the possibilities of where this will take him.
And yes, this does not have to be that serious. And if he bumps at a stone, he can always have a good laugh at himself. ;)