“Vernal Equinox” Spread

Sentient

In honor of the vernal equinox that occurs this year on Monday, 20 March 2006 at 18:26 GMT, I decided to create a simple spread that took advantage of this time of equal days and nights.

First, pick the one card out of the deck that best symbolizes Spring to you (e.g., Ace of Wands, Death, Fool, etc.) Then pick three more cards:

1) The cold, hard ground (that inside you which is unyielding and resists change)
2) The new green (something new inside you that wants to emerge)
3) A life in bloom (what this new thing can become if nurtured)

The idea is to read each card keeping in mind the nuances of the card you picked to symbolize Spring.

That’s it – please let me know what you think.

Whitestar

I like it, I like it!

Shall try it!

Baroli

I like this spread and I am going to try it. Thanks!!

Baroli

NightWing

World Equinox

I suppose this spread is fine for those who live in the northern hemisphere, and who will (hopefully) see Spring beginning soon.

But what about all those here on AT who live in the southern hemisphere, and for whom autumn/fall will now be starting, at least in a technical sense?

Can there be such a thing as an Equinox Spread, that would serve for tarot readers worldwide, regardless of hemisphere? Does anyone know of one?

Sentient

“Autumnal Equinox” spread

NightWing,

Good point - I was looking at things from a northern hemisphere perspective. But I believe the spread is flexible enough to serve those who are interested in an autumnal version. The general idea would be:

1) Current seasonal condition (psychologically, one’s current state that is starting to wane)
2) Hints of change (new aspect trying to emerge)
3) New condition (possible future of new aspect, if allowed to mature)

From ancient times the coming of summer has been seen in a more positive light than the coming of winter, but I don’t think this need be the case today. Psychologically winter could be viewed as a process whereby one prepares for challenges, finds the strength to endure and develops resources for survival. Thus an autumnal equinox version would be:

1) The verdant warmth (that inside you which is in full flower)
2) Hints of cooler weather (survival resources developing inside you)
3) The big chill (what these resources could develop into if given the chance)

Sentient

NightWing

Both "Equinoxi"

Sentient: Thank-you for expanding your concept! It seems fairly simple and quite promising.

(BTW, what do you suppose the plural of "equinox" actually is?)

Sentient

NightWing: you're welcome.

Regarding the plural of the word "equinox," after searching online and finding various creative attempts such as equinii and equinocci (!) I found the following (which seems to make the most sense):

"Latin nouns ending in x go plural with -ces. Best known English example would be 'matrix.' "

So now we know. :)

Eyebright

I'm going to bump this spread as I plan on using this tomorrow for the Spring Equinox (Ostara). I think its a lovely looking little spread, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! :party:

Keavy McGee

Hey, Eyebright, I found this and used it, too. Loved it!!