Planet Series: JUPITER -- How doe we express the symbol in our charts

dadsnook2000

Planet Series: JUPITER -- How do we express the symbol in our charts

In this PLANET SERIES thread I would like to try something a little different; "How do we individually express and experience Jupiter in our chart?"

To approach this question and to keep it from running away from us in terms of complexity and expansion due to other factors, we need to exercise some self discipline. To help, I would suggest that we start with some keywords for the planet itself and some keywords for the houses of the chart. We can then combine some/all/more of these keywords and then compare their synthesized meaning with our own life and experience relative to Jupiter. I'll use some text from the book "The House Book" by Stephanie Camilleri just so that I do not interject or bias the thread with my own ideas and concepts.

JUPITER KEYWORDS:
Greater benefic; strong positive energy; gift-giving, uncles and patrons, supporter of the second half of life (Venus support the early part of life), material benefits, gifts of the soul, wisdom, understanding, tolerance, inspiration (? -- I would think "grand ideas and vision"), gifts that can conflict with mundane goals, hope, optimism and cheerfulness (when on the angles), expansion, multiplication, exponential increase, harvest and those periods in life between 45/50 and 65/70, pride, good luck, charm and charisma. For the body, Jupiter relates to vision, the brain, liver and sense of taste.

HOUSE KEYWORDS:
** First House; appearance personality as seen by others, health. With planets here, the person tends to be self-involved and determined.
** Second House; resources, sense of values, sense of place, the quality and amount of self-esteem, personal environment and surroundings (clothes?), ones hidden sexual nature (?!). With planets here, the person tends to be acquisitive in nature.
** Third House; siblings, neighbors, young people, early school, relatinships with people who are nearby, cars, taxis, transportation, short trips, team sports, basic learning as it affects the ability to communicate. With planets here, a person likes to be around other people and will avoid self-imposed solitude.

** Fourth House; home, family, roots, ancestors, heritage, parents (especially the father in wester cultures), land, real estate, gardens, farms, interior decorating and related activities such as painting and decorating, protection, dinner and relaxation, the end of things or final result or death. (My thought is that planets here can indicate the way/manner in which family training and early experiences were formed).
** Fifth House; romantic relationships, sexual intercourse, conception, childbirth, one's own children and students, hobbies, private workshops, creative efforts, art and performance studios, theater, dance, drama, music, art, self-fulfillment. Planets here suggest a person with a charismatic personality who energizes other by their presence.
** Sixth House; work, service, jobs, health, employers and employees, dependents, pets, small animals, work place, offices, secretaries, duty, dedication, maintenance, knowledge gain thru repitition, working with data, compassion gained thru service to others. Planets here suggest that health and dependability are issues.

** Seventh House; partner, mate, partnerships in general, marriage, divorce, open enemies, one's "opposite", the other that both repels and attracts, knowledge gained thru experiences of others (not personal experience), board rooms and council chambers, courtrooms, lawyers and judges. Planets here tend to favor lots of relationships, lots of trips to court, lots of "ups and downs" in ones life.
** Eighth House; secrets, death, near-death experiences, taxes, banks, loans, partner's money, partner's sexuality, inheritance, foundation grants, occult, ESP, hidden matters, fate and important last-life events. Planets here indicate that nobody can ever really get to know you.
** Ninth House; long-distance travel, higher education (science and philosophy, especially) in liberal arts, religion, politics, breaking routines, hiking and searching the sky, churches colleges, study groups, airplanes and travel away from home areas, communication.

** Tenth House; career, reputation among non-friends, influence of your efforts, relationship with parents (and the mother). Planets here suggest one will make a strong career effort to establish themselves.
** Eleventh House; friendships, dreams, groups with common interests, our relationship with the surrounding community. Many planets here point to social contacts and an ability to engage and succeed in large scale social endeavors.
** Twelth House; self-undoing, ares the require patient self-study, therapy, hidden issues from the general public and associates, large institutions, governemt agencies, large animals. Planets here indicate an opportunity to resolve feelings of karma (or victimization).

So our task is to consider the two sets of keywords and discuss them with the group so that we can come to better understand Jupiter. Why? Because my experience has been that everyone is sort of glib and shallow when asked to consider the role that Jupiter plays in their lives. This exercise will better ground us in our appreciation of the big guy's role in our charts and lives. Dave.
PS -- this is a great place for our newer list-participants to jump in and start sharing.

squeakmo9

dadsnook2000 said:
JUPITER KEYWORDS:
Greater benefic; strong positive energy; gift-giving, uncles and patrons, supporter of the second half of life (Venus support the early part of life), material benefits, gifts of the soul, wisdom, understanding, tolerance, inspiration (? -- I would think "grand ideas and vision"), gifts that can conflict with mundane goals, hope, optimism and cheerfulness (when on the angles), expansion, multiplication, exponential increase, harvest and those periods in life between 45/50 and 65/70, pride, good luck, charm and charisma. For the body, Jupiter relates to vision, the brain, liver and sense of taste.
Twelth House; self-undoing, ares the require patient self-study, therapy, hidden issues from the general public and associates, large institutions, governemt agencies, large animals. Planets here indicate an opportunity to resolve feelings of karma (or victimization).

I have this combo, Jupiter comes across as an extravert type of energy but when in mixture to my 12th house Cancer, it becomes very private and quiet, almost at a loss for words. Whatever I am currently experiencing or have experienced that has proven to be "difficult" on an emotional level never comes out to the general public, ever. I know of some hairdressers who will tell you their life story, regardless, in public I just stick to surface chat, nothing deep or of importance to me. I just think that that sort of stuff is sensitive and that they really don't want to hear it. So I think the side effect of this is they (my customers) really don't know me, I may be a walking enigma to them for all I know. So I am very interested in resolving many issues but in particular where I felt exploited on some level. Perhaps with this position, I would be fortunate to find a good therapist, was thinking of doing that somewhere down the line. Since I'm short on cash now, I'm trying to do the bulk of it on my own with the help of many books and different tool, like astrology.
I certainly do feel I am well aided and "protected" on a spiritual level.

dadsnook2000

Jupiter in the 6th

I've been both cursed and blessed with Jupiter in the 6th (also in Sag). Jupiter in my chart is the focus of a T-Square between Sun/Neptune (4th) opp. Saturn 910th), square Jupiter. In a case like this it might be difficult to seperate Jupiter from its friends.

The Keywords for Jupiter that I see as relevant from the list provided are:
Strong positive energy; patrons, supporter of the second half of life (Venus support the early part of life), gifts of the soul, wisdom, understanding, tolerance, inspiration, gifts that can conflict with mundane goals, hope, optimism and cheerfulness, expansion, harvest and those periods in life between 45/50 and 65/70, pride, good luck.

Expressing Jupiter: I have always been "lucky" in all areas of my life, have always had a positive outlook on just about everything, have gotten along well with everyone I have worked with (except for one useless person). My father had died when I was 18 so I naturally sought the advice of older people that I worked with -- they, in turn, helped in making key decisions as well as assisting indirectly in my career endeavors. So, I've always had patrons or mentors until I became one for others. I've always had "enough" to meet my needs and wishes, things seem to fall into place -- of course, an intuitive sense for opportunity seemed to help. I've always worked with the motto, "Do all that is needed or asked, and then a little more."
Benefic, strong positive energy; patrons, material benefits, gifts of the soul, understanding, tolerance, inspiration, gifts that can conflict with mundane goals, hope, optimism and cheerfulness, expansion, harvest and those periods in life between 45/50 and 65/70, pride, good luck.

The Keywords for the 6th house that I see as relevant from the list are:
work, service, jobs, employers and employees, dependents, pets, small animals, work place, duty, dedication, maintenance, knowledge gained thru repitition, working with data, compassion gained thru service to others.

Expressing the sixth house:
Work -- I'v always had all that I needed, I changed not only jobs but career fields and did that often (23 different career areas in my life) without having any substantive education to support those fields. We have had many pets in our family, they all seemed to choose me as their favorite person. As for dependants, the wife and I had three children, took in a young lady for four years whose parents had abandoned her while she was in high school, and then sequentially adopted three grandchildren (now 12, 14 and 18) as they were born. In the past twenty-plus years I have been involved in computer systems (sales, system development, managing, business consulting) and have worked with endless data (marketing, direct mail marketing, statistical analysis). Being highly self-focused I've also learned how to help and be compassionate to others over time (later, not so much when younger).

COMMENTS
I think that this kind of exercise makes us stop and think about the planets and how we express the symbolic nature of them. We see these attributes in others but it is only when we stop and closely look at ourselves that it hits home how appropriate astrology really is. If everyone likes this type of examination, we'll do more of it in another series -- perhaps the House Series or something like that. There would be a lot to explore there as the house meanings for a natal chart have to be modified when doing progressions, or mundane applications, or health applications, etc. Let me know what you think -- we could start that in the fall. Dave

TemperanceAngel

Jupiter in the 9th in Scorpio, conjunct Neptune in Sagitarius.
I love to travel. This has also been explained to about teaching spiritualality and also makes me a good reader or why I do read.
I have also just began a Jupiter Return.
That's about all I know, LOL :)

Crystelle

Jupiter in Scorpio, 4th house

strong positive energy; gift-giving, material benefits, gifts of the soul, wisdom, understanding, tolerance, inspiration (? -- I would think "grand ideas and vision"), gifts that can conflict with mundane goals, hope, optimism and cheerfulness (when on the angles), expansion, multiplication, exponential increase, pride, good luck, charm and charisma.

** Fourth House; home, family, roots, ancestors, heritage, parents (especially the father in wester cultures), land, real estate, gardens, farms, interior decorating and related activities such as painting and decorating, protection, dinner and relaxation, the end of things or final result or death. (My thought is that planets here can indicate the way/manner in which family training and early experiences were formed).

Expressing Jupiter:
I find that whether or not it is due to the fact that as a child I had very little interaction with my extended family, I am entranced with the cultural origins of my family. I have always been fascinated by history (I was the nerdy kid that thought the trip to Gettysburg was cool). Even though my Sag sun sign often interferes, I enjoy painting, have discovered that I rather like home decorating and am generally crafty and artistic (you would never think if you met me). It is true, my father had a great influence in my upbringing as he divorced my mother and in a rather unusual turn of events gained custody of me. In undergraduate studies I naturally aligned myself with the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources to study veterinarian medicine. I have a natural green thumb. My friends send their plants to me for "rehab" and I haven't ever lost a plant yet (knock on wood).

star-lover

jupiter in sagitarius in 4th here

JUPITER KEYWORDS:

HOUSE KEYWORDS:

--------------------------------

just a few things that seem to fit

education - always wanted to go to university but didnt make it at 18 - i did an open university course from *home* on history, culture, religion, philosophy and art history
have taught myself many things on my own from home on correspondence courses - one of them being interior design which fits (also venus sextile jupiter) and astrology (jupiter trine uranus)
my father is a larger than life character and very wise
uprooted from country of birth and emigrated to the uk at early age (5)
dinner and relaxation - i like a good time and a good drink now and again - love giving parties
in general been quite lucky in my life and always felt *protected* even when things were really dire - a deep sense of faith was always there and i knew would pull me out
i may be stuck at home alot but i travel far from within these four walls lol
(internet helps - jupiter trines uranus)
have profited financially in my 40s from real estate investment with family

pumog

I've also got Jupiter in 4th, in Taurus. Interestingly my father was also "uprooted from country of birth" - via having to become a refugee and escape a civil war zone, though i'm not sure how that fits in to this placement. My father is not an earthy type to look at or in behaviour, but loves gardening and walking in the countryside. I come from a background where my father's family were extremely rich - until the events which led to him having to escape - but he still managed to do well in his new country and so I have always been protected and secure. However I've never been particularly happy with my home life (see details of chart in list) - possibly because of Jupiter being focus of T square between the Sun and Saturn. My home was rich and comfortable but not a jolly place!

star-lover

pumog said:
I've also got Jupiter in 4th, in Taurus. Interestingly my father was also "uprooted from country of birth" - via having to become a refugee and escape a civil war zone, though i'm not sure how that fits in to this placement. My father is not an earthy type to look at or in behaviour, but loves gardening and walking in the countryside. I come from a background where my father's family were extremely rich - until the events which led to him having to escape - but he still managed to do well in his new country and so I have always been protected and secure. However I've never been particularly happy with my home life (see details of chart in list) - possibly because of Jupiter being focus of T square between the Sun and Saturn. My home was rich and comfortable but not a jolly place!

my father emigrated for political reasons too...............snap!!!!!!!!!!! was a few years after a civil war but the fall out was a very right wing government who laid down on people alot - chaos etc - he had 2 kids so did what he had to do for the best

emmigrated with a few pounds to his name
years of poverty in uk just working and making ends meet but
30 years later was richish and happier

bless you
xxx

dadsnook2000

Some comments

These observations have been quite intriguing, supporting some of Jupiter's given and popular "meanings" as well as suggesting a few unexpected meanings that I don't see discussed.

For Pumog: I also have Sun (with Neptune) as part of a T-square -- Sun opp Saturn, both square Jupiter. I can concur on not having a particularly happy home -- some of which I attribute to my Venus being opposite the wife's Saturn and her Moon being on my ASC. Thus she tends to dampen my creative and relationship processes while expecting that I will act in response to her moods. Wrong! But, in terms of the Jupiter square Sun and square Saturn, I feel that my sense of organizing things and conducting my relationships just doesn't fit with her ways of doing things and that this stress in the daily routines of life is a big part of a stressful relationship.

Gardening: For those mentioning agriculture and gardening-related interests for Jupiter, this is an unexpected twist. I myself would have never thought of gardening as Jupiter-related. Perhaps we'll get some additional feedback from the others on the list. HEAR THAT! FEEDBACK ON JUPITER & GARDENING is needed, list.

As for Jupiter on the 4th-10th house axis and its relationship to imigration, starting a new life, etc. that is interesting. Perhaps at some future time when we explore houses we can go deeper into the 4-10 axis and family characteristics.

Luck and protection: Yes, this comes thru quite clearly and is considered one of Jupiters primary services, keeping us from being hurt by ourselves.

I'll keep this thread open for a while longer before starting anything else to see if others participate. Then, we'll see if the list is up to grabbing a hold upon Uranus with the final, 6th key to understanding one's personality and basic chart meanings. Dave

huredriel

Will be participating, but swamped at moment (and need to have head firmly screwed on for this series) so be back within few days, hope that's ok.