Vanity Publishers (split from another thread)

baba-prague

Marion,

If you think it would be a good idea, I'll do so. The link I have in mind does not name names (edited to add - actually, yes, it does but only a few names as examples, not a comprehensive list), but it gives a very useful list of "things to look out for" and some good links for further reading. Subsidy publishing can be perfectly fine - as long as the publisher makes it quite clear that the creator/author is not very likely to make money or to see their work in bricks and mortar bookshops. There is one subsidy publisher I've seen in the US who has an excellent site that lays this out in clear, ethical terms. For some authors, it's worth paying extra to hand the whole print and production process over to someone else - nothing at all wrong with that as long as it's clearly understood and explained.

What IS worrying is when people are given the wrong impression (vanity and subsidy publishers tend to be good at selling their services to authors and they can be less than upfront about the real facts at times) and may not realise that they are dealing with a subsidy publisher. It can be a costly mistake as it tends to cost far, far more than simple self-publishing and statistically it is rare that even the basic production costs are covered - i.e in the vast majority of cases the author/creator will be out of pocket. I would like to see the community here forewarned. I'm not even saying - don't do it - I'm just saying - know all the facts before you make a decision.

Here is one excellent page explaining what vanity and subsidy publishers are and how to spot one. If you think it's appropriate, I'll also put it on Creation.

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/vanitypublishers.html

Edited to add - I think this is very good too. It's a PDF file:
http://www.vanitypublishing.info/points to ponder.pdf
from this site: http://www.vanitypublishing.info/

Alta

Moderator note: the information above is very interesting and useful, but it was buried in another thread on a somewhat different topic and might not be widely seen. I split this out and re-posted it it.

Regards,
Marion
co-Moderator of Talking Tarot

darwinia

Great information.

I just wanted to add that there is a fine tradition in publishing poetry chapbooks where you pay a flat fee for printing. It has been going on for centuries.

The reason I mention this is that people often want to publish a small book or LWB for their own card decks. It's a nice idea to have it done at a professional printer.

However, as Karen says, there are some people who market themselves as "publishers" who claim they will market your poetry, proofread, "prepare" the manuscript etc. Run a mile, especially if they say "royalties."

You want a printer or bindery, not a publisher.

Often the binding for chapbooks is coiled or a flat, stapled binding. You can add images to your chapbook and lay out the text yourself, usually giving the printer a PDF file of the work to print from. They will do proofs that you can check and correct for quality, and then do a print run.

Depending on the number of copies the expense isn't too bad. Maybe 50 copies for $100 or $150. That's for a small 20-page chapbook (often why people make their own limited editions at home.)

Obviously for a card deck or book it will cost way more, which means you will have to charge more, but you have complete control of the copyright and quality management, and no weird doublespeak from dishonest leeches, as Karen points out.

People that have Lorena Moore's full edition of the Ironwing Tarot will see the work of a good printer and a coil-bound book. She had to charge for it, but it's worth it, and also worth it for her peace of mind as an artist.

You never get something for nothing, and there are no get rich quick schemes and instant fame, just predators looking for easy marks.

baba-prague

Thanks for this Darwinia. Good advice.

I honestly think self-publishing is often a good way to go if you can't get mainstream publishing (and in fact, sometimes even if you can, it can be a better choice). I know it can seem daunting, but I'd totally agree with the importance of keeping the costs and quality (and retail price for that matter) within your own control and a good thing is also that YOU, no-one else, owns the resulting books or decks.

Anyway, as this has been split out from another thread I'm not sure I want to get into a whole huge further discussion, but I do think forewarned is always safest.

Edited to add. I know it's slightly off topic but yes, isn't Lorena's production quality beautiful? I was so impressed.

MeeWah

An informed consumer lessens the risks in any undertaking.

One of the greater resources for the Tarot related is in the knowledge & talents of the Aeclectic Tarot membership.

For this reason, our profound appreciation to those who share of their knowledge & expertise. & in so doing, look out for us all.

((((((baba-prague))))))

((((((darwinia))))))

& ditto to all those who contribute in the nature of the public service information!