Can't understand the Magician

littleneptune

Can anyone help me with the Magician card? I usually understand cards by having one core meaning, and then building around that, but there are too many different meanings kicking around for this one! If he represents creativity, then why all the associations with trickery? These things don't have much in common. On some of the older cards he was a cobbler, on some a street illusionist, now a magician...I just don't understand the 'heart' of this card!

divinerguy

"Illusionist" is the right word. The Magician accomplishes his goals by means of sleight of hand. He is big on appearances, because they help create the illusion. However, the underlying truth is that the Magician can be somewhat shallow.

In some cases, I perceive the Magician to be little more than a salesman or a con artist. The glitzy exterior may just be a fascade for shallowness and a lack of character.

Aerin

I also see him as being a brilliant communicator. Sometimes this is used positively and shows mastery over every trick in the book, and it also has its dark side.

For me, he is a politician of cards. An orator. An entertainer as well.

I don't think he is always shallow or just an illusionist... but you have to beware since his skills make it easy to fool people.

Aerin

ahpookus

To me the magician has always been like a Zen master. He knows the cards more than you ever could, but he responds only in riddles. He is wise and knows the answer, but has faith that you know the answer as well.

A popular zen koan (paraphrased of course):

A student once asked,

Who is the Master who makes the grass green?

The Magician answered,

When you know the answer, you will have unlocked the key to the universe.

galadrial

At core, I see him as a manipulator. However, there are different kinds of manipulation. Some is just trickery; slieght of hand/speech with no intent other than to fool another's perceptions (people who think up ad campaigns come to mind, and, yes, definately politicians, as well as journalists- the Magician card is associated with Hermes, the Messenger/Trickster). The Magician is master of the elements (thus the 4 suits represented on his table). His is the concious, focused creative will. He will bring something into being by focusing his creative drive and talents and masterfully manipulating the elements. The results seem "magical". One kind of Magician will manipulate them toward his own ends. An earthy Magician who's own will is all, his "magic" perhaps not to be trusted, though it may just be clever entertainment. Another kind is the Magician who is in touch with the Divine (however you choose to define that, but a power beyond the physical plane). He is willing to be a conduit for the Divine will; to acheive results of benefit to more than himself.

Celtic_Dragon

I've just begun to see the magician as a sort of Jack of all trades, master of none. Because he's got all these wonderful skills infront of him and he can put on a good show but because he's never put any serious work into them he'll never be like the emperor. Where the emperor is a master, he has taken one skill and improved on it, built a solid foundation for himself. Where as the magician is always wondering, traveling trying to make a quick buck. Kind of like street performers, on the surface they're there to entertain you but underneith they're wanting charity in order to live.

skytwig

Hmmmm.....

Magic definitely reflects our truth. If we con, that is harm. If we utilize out knowledge of intention and manifestation to support life, then we will not harm. and we will not be a con.

Magician can be the center of our creativity, if we utilize it.

HudsonGray

He also works with the physical world, if he worked with the inner world he'd be the High Priestess. You won't get much explanation from him, he has to keep his abilities to himself or others will see he's manipulating so much. Whereas with the High Priestess, she teaches & wants you to learn.

The magician knows his stuff & is capable of doing a lot, but it's from a very specific point of view. Remember, he's only one step up from the fool, he hoards his knowledge & keeps his secrets. (The phrase 'doesn't play well with others' comes to mind). He's the guy up on the box doing the show. That's where he wants to stay.