When the Hanged Man is REALLY Hanged!

Logiatrix

There are at least a few tarots that depict the Hanged Man as a person literally hanging by the neck from a tree; the Legend: Arthurian, the Native American, and the Cagliostro are three that I have. The Cagliostro is one deck I liked in all aspects EXCEPT for that gruesome Hanged Man...so I relegated it to the collection until recently.
I really, really like this deck, so I'm trying very hard to get past my negative perspective of this depiction of the Hanged Man. My progress thus far is that now I am able to look at the image without repulsion or fear. It is starting to truly symbolize "surrender" to me--surrender of the former response I've had to this version of the Hanged Man, I suppose... :D
I'd like to take this concept deeper and develop a truly symbolic understanding of the (literally HANGED) Hanged Man in these decks. Any suggestions on how to perceive this particular rendering of the Hanged Man card would be abundantly appreciated.
:)

firemaiden

Hmmm, I don't like the idea of seeing an actually hung person for this card one bit, to be honest with you. I like what you said about the hanged man symbolising "surrender". My approach would be just to read with the card as if it were the traditional card, to be amused by the artistic novelty, but not much beyond that...

HudsonGray

The only option I would be able to come up with (I have the Arthurian too & didn't like the hanged guys) is that here's a person who's truly f***ed by the situation they're in. In a way the image is giving it a more intense personal slant than looking at it as a person who's voluntarily removed themself from the problems to give themselves a new perspective. Here they're forceably removed, you've lost part of the control as there's no willingness on your side to be in this position.

The meanings still apply, just a different slant on the card.

Alex

I guess it's all the same, the POSITION you're hanged matters little.

Alex.

Alissa

Actually, this very aspect can make or break if I want or use a deck.

I adore my Legend deck, except for....

If I see a Hanged Man card that shows a dead man swinging on a rope, I'm pissed. Because it's gonna screw up any readings I do for people who don't know jack about cards, and all they're gonna see is a man swinging on the end of a rope, no matter how much I talk to them about "willful suspension from life".

Willful my ass! He's at his rope's end! Literally!

Yes, I totally despise decks that show a hanged Hanged Man, I couldn't agree more vehemently.

Thirteen

I don't much like it either!

Alissa said:
Willful my ass! He's at his rope's end! Literally!

Yes, I totally despise decks that show a hanged Hanged Man, I couldn't agree more vehemently.

I'm with you, Alissa! It rather misses the point of the Hanged man--which is that he has to survive the hanging! The Hanged Man is based on Odin, who hung upside-down from the world tree for 9 days and nights without bread or mead. CLASSIC deprevation-in-the-wilderness venture that all holy men, Shamans and magicians know is required in order to reach higher levels of insight and power. It's not a pleasant experience and the sufferer certainly risks dying, but it's not like having your neck suddenly broken. At the end of those 9 days and nights, Odin looked down and saw and understood the runes, the source of all power and magic.

How can anyone have such insight if they've been "hung by their neck until dead"? Granted, there are symbolic "Hanged Men" who, instead of living through their ordeal, are "resurrected." Christ, for one. Inana, who got hung up "dead" in the underworld for another. I suspect THIS would be the only way to make a card of the literal hanged man, work. By assuming that his execution gives him a glimpse of death, and all the mysteries there on the other side--AND by assuming that he's going to rise from the dead afterwards.

Nevertheless, I don't much like the fact that this image misses out on the perspective of inversion. The Hanged Man hanging from one foot sees the world from a different perspective. Also, his one crossed leg carries with it some fascinating symbolism--it is the emblem for Sulfur (transformation) and it is an echo of the same cross-leg posture sometimes seen in The World card.

Trogon

Hmmm... I guess this rules out the Arthurian deck for me. I have to agree that I don't care much for the idea of this card picturing someone hung by the neck. As pointed out, by others, it rather removes the idea of voluntariness which I generally associate with this card. I hadn't run across any decks with this when I've been looking through decks at the new age store... but it is something I'll have to watch for when shopping. Tauni, thanks for bringing this up.

Aerin

Trogon said:
Hmmm... I guess this rules out the Arthurian deck for me. I have to agree that I don't care much for the idea of this card picturing someone hung by the neck.

Just to add, this refers to the Legend Arthurian and NOT the Hallowquest Arthurian. Yet another reason why I prefer the latter over the former.

The Hallowquest Arthurian uses the Wounded King as the Hanged Man card, works for me even though he isn't inverted. Here's some pics http://www.wicce.com/arthurianpix.html. I think I heard that the Fisher King and Odin have been connected - Jung reckoned they came from the same archetype.

Aerin

Major Tom

Have you ever watched when someone completely unfamilar with the tarot as they go through a deck card by card? Almost unfailingly, they always stop at the Hanged Man.

Then they do something extraordinary.

Ever seen it? ;)

firemaiden

I have never seen it, Tom.
Do they turn it around?