R/W Ace of Cups

gloria

RW Ace/Cups

This card shows Love in a big way. It’s as if it’s being handed to you on a plate. It’s there for the taking.
The cup literally overflows with water. (emotions)
Is there such a thing as too much love? Like being smothered in the stuff?

“Waters run deep.” (water-lilies need deep water for their long stems) This to me sounds like a second-time around relationship. Been there before kind of thing.

The water-lily having such long stems need their roots anchored securely into the river bed.
Could this symbolize a possessive lover wanting to secure you firmly back into their life?

Me a cynic? No, just getting carried away trying to see alternative aspects of this glorious card.

Are there any other alternative views on the Ace/Cups out there?

Gloria.

firemaiden

Two heart who have become one...

Kundalika

ace of cups

Hi,

This is a very positive card for me.......however......it also depends on the cards surrounding it. If there's the Ace of Swords next to it, then this could mean obsession, or disillusionment with love.

By itself it seems to suggest love bubbling over....something spontaneous and refreshing like a new relationship. Yes, it could mean a second or a third relationship.

Hope this makes sense.

Moongold

All of the above. But also - this is the beginning - everything is pure, delightful, as yet uncomplicated by emotional turbulence. The Cup overflows with joy.

zorya

i don't think that being smothered is about love at all. it's more about control and possessiveness.

generally speaking, i think of all aces as being like seeds, full of potential. the cup is wide open and generous; ready to receive and give.

depending on the position and or surrounding cards, the ace of cups can mean a loss of love, or a resistance to love, or even getting too caught up in your emotions.

Thirteen

I agree with Moongold. When you think of the Ace of Cups, think of Juliet from Romeo and Juliet. Remember that first deep love you had as a young teenager? Remember all that energy, that sweetness, that purity? That's the ace of cups. The bubbling, overflowing, sweet potential of first love. Unbridled, unrestrained, untainted. And at the beginning of our play, undirected.

All Aces are undirected. In this case, we have a fountain bubbling up from the source, not yet flowing as a river to the sea, just producing that lovely water.

And this is most certainly not a cynical 2nd time around--I've known people hurt from love, and their love the 2nd time around hardly runs deep--in fact, they deliberately keep it shallow for fear of drowning! Nor is it in any way possessive. It's Juliet's comment that, to pharaphrase: the more she loves, the more love she seems to have. This spring is forever young, forever pure, forever hopeful; a bottomless source of deep, welling refreshment.

gloria

Let me say, I agree with all of your views. The Ace/Cups is first and foremost a truly positive card in its own right.

I was merely letting my mind wander with the imagery of the card.

Initially, it was meant to be a 'tongue-in-cheek' post, but I reckon these 'alternative aspects' carry some weight and are pretty much valid.

Cheers, Gloria.

Dark_angel

Although the Ace of Cups is a very positive card, a reversal could mean giving too much, pouring your emotions into something or someone who won't or can't return them, and getting nothing in return to replenish your source. Again, it depends on the cards around it.

gloria

Thanks Dark_Angel, but I didn’t have reversals in mind at the time. As I looked at the card, certain sayings came into my head, and my imagination took over.

However, I came across two interpretations earlier, one for the upright Ace and one for the reversed position. Both from different sources. And definitely for Ace/Cups.

The waterfall in the Ace/Cups represents the phallic symbol and male potency. (Don’t worry I shan’t be letting my mind wander down that road)

And the reversed Ace represents blocked creativity, which can take the form of physical sterility.

Maybe plenty of you know this already, but new to me.
Gloria

troyhoma

Ace of Cups

Gloria you are so true with the love overflowing(emotions) i have just discovered and connected with my inner child(higher elf) and my emotions have been overflowing abundlenty, i am crying tears of love and joy, as the bible says i will pour my spirit in your cup and it will overflow, how true that is for me. thankyou