The Lovers

Mermaid

Does anyone know who or what the 3rd 'cupid' figure on the RW card is meant to represent? Most descriptions of the card that I've read focus on the two lover figures, but the 'cupid' itself takes up nearly half of the card so I figure it must be important - if only I knew what it meant!

Thanks

Thirteen

Sticky question with a sticky answer. It's not a cupid--a cupid would make sense, shooting the arrow of love into one or other of the lovers--telling them that *this* was their one true love.

But in RW, that's an angel hovering over Adam and Eve. And it suggests that they're about to be driven out of paradise for their choice. Or not. What the angel/cupid suggest is "mercury" or "fire" over the Sun (man) and woman (moon). The suggestion is that, like Temperence, there is an alchemical thing going on in this card, a transformation--two elements coming together, thanks to the power of a third (angel and two cups), leading to a synthesis, the creation of something new and united.

And that's about the best that I can explain it. Frankly, the Lover is one card where Waite isn't real clear about meaning and/or why it should mean that.

Major Tom

From The Tarot by Paul Foster Case:

"The angel is Raphael, angel of air, the element attributed to Gemini, and, in the symbolism of the Roman church, the particular angel of the planet Mercury...Here he represents superconsciousness, and is thus related to the Fool...He is the cosmic Life-Breath, Prana, superconsciousness. His influence descends on the figures below, streaming from his upraised hands."

Hope this helps. })

catboxer

Love

Originally it was a cupid. On the Visconti-Sforza card the two lovers stand before a column, from the top of which a blindfolded, adolescent cupid prepares to throw his dart. This trump was at first called "Love," not "The Lovers," and the changes in its pictorial elements over the centuries have served only to confuse and complicate what was originally a direct and straightforward depiction of the most fundamental human emotion. Especially confusing is the inclusion of three human figures rather than two in the Marseilles cards, and others which follow that pattern.

I've noticed that some of the modern decks, such as the one by Robin Woods, have restored the original meaning. The picture in my own deck follows the Visconti-Sforza; I always refer to the card by its original name and interpret it accordingly. I find the simplicity and unambiguous nature of this card extremely beautiful.

(catboxer)

Kiama

I've always been puzzled by this card... Some people say that the meaning of it is choices, and some say love... Which is it to be? What does everyone else think? I have always preferred the Love idea.. Cuz there's not really a Major Arcana to cover this life issue, and considering it is such a big part of life, it seems strange to leave it out of the Majors...

Kiama

Aerin

I've also heard that the Rider Waite symbolism can be read as to do with your conscious/ mental mind (the bloke), other-than-conscious/ intuitive mind (the woman), and your Higher Self/ spiritual mind (cupid).

The bloke can only talk to the woman, if he wants to talk to the Higher Self he can only do so through her. Hence she is looking to the Higher Self and he is looking at her.

So, I sometimes think of the meaning as to do with getting in touch with and honouring all aspects of self, also communicating. I presume that isn't especially standard? but I find the card tends to work this way for me. And if you communicate well with and love yourself, you also project this onto other people thus having a good relationship with them as well.

Aerin

MeeWah

Depending on the deck, the third figure is that of a cupid, angel or an older woman. Some decks do not have a third figure.
I tend to see the angel as the Archangel Raphael, representative of Air & communication; the Higher Self/superconscious; the God force.
Raphael is the angel of healing, a healing that takes place on a soul level. For a condition to manifest on the physical level, it must first exist on a spiritual level.
It is through the agency of a third factor (superconscious) by which occurs the assimilation/union of the conscious & the subconscious, the opposing forces, the lower & higher selves, the male & female principles/yin & yang to accomplish wholeness. That factor is that of the higher purpose signified by the cooperation & communication of the two energies.
Marriage or partnership is symbolic of the merging of two elements (in the earth plane), effected through the earthly spiritual representative of a higher agency, such as that of a priest/minister.
Also see the card as representing what Aerin mentioned as honoring the self & being in touch with aspects of the self.

Thirteen

Kiama said:
I've always been puzzled by this card... Some people say that the meaning of it is choices, and some say love... Which is it to be? What does everyone else think? I have always preferred the Love idea.. Cuz there's not really a Major Arcana to cover this life issue, and considering it is such a big part of life, it seems strange to leave it out of the Majors...

Kiama

I think that "LOVE" is a much better interpetation than "LOVERS"--lovers implies that you will have a sweetheart, whereas this card is always about "What you love"--be it people or anything else, including your country, your mother, your faith, or that sofa for the living room ;) You can fight against Love, but in the end, you know what you want, and denying it might bring you more problems than just giving into it. This makes sense, if you think about it, because we can only do right, give all of ourselves, to those things we're truely passionate about. If we take the lesser choice, what we don't love, then we won't be really committed to it. Our heart won't be in it.

In regards to choice, the definition on choice that I've read on this card is that you will be faced with a choice and you should trust your instincts on which way to go, that your instincts are right. Which fits perfectly with knowing "what you love," with choosing "love" and passion. This also relates to Gemini, with finding your twin or other self. And, of course, with perfect communication. Does that make sense?

Mermaid

Wow, thanks guys - what a lot of information! This will give me heaps to think about next time I get this one in a reading. :)

Major Tom

If Love isn't a choice - I guess I don't know what a choice is...

Wasn't it Crowley that said: Love is the law. Love directed by will.

I love everyone's response - each provides a glimpse into the mystery of the Lovers card. })

Shall we talk about the connection with the Devil card? Or is that another thread?