The Star

Maan

i love those threads too:)

I always find it difficult too put my thoughts in english especially when you talk abstract ideas.
But i will give it a try anyway

The star for me represents Hope. The star gives you guidance thru live by showing what can be in the future. Its tells you in a way keep up the good work the sun wil shine again.
More a potential card in my view

I also see it as a big picture card. Its telling you nothing happends without a reason. The universe has its way in learning you thinks.
I get this card alot in readings about things in live i don't like and usually its in the future position as if telling me that i will grow from the experience.

And ofcourse its a very postive card about growth and self convindence!

I don't know if this quote is correct but wasn't it Crowley who said "every one is a STAR!"
Dare to shine!!!!!!

Love and light
Maan

starfish66

My favorite card in the deck (other than being beautiful ;)), I find it symbolizes to me eternal hope. It's light is a steady guide in the night sky. I see it as telling me that even in total darkness, there is light (hope, purity, etc.).

Can't wait to see the other posts.

:TSTAR Starfish

amyel

My first deck was the Mythic Tarot, and I really love the myth they choose for The Star: Pandora's box. For me, this myth really helped me "connect" with the Star in both it's positive & negative forms.

Basically, (in case you don't know the myth), Pandora finds or is given this box (I am really shortening it here!) and is told not to open it at all. To cut a long story short, temptation gets the better of her and she opens it anyway, releasing all the furys and troublesome energies into the world. But she also released Hope, and in the card, this is the way she is depicted: gazing with wonder at Hope, not "seeing" the negatives that she has also released.

So in that sense, the Star in the Mythic Tarot still focuses on hope as it's primary keyword - but subtly says: don't be blind to reality, as others have mentioned.

emily2otters

this is my favorite card, too. :)

i see the star as sanctuary, a place to rest and renew. we all have a place of inner sanctuary, but sometimes the card refers to a physical place as well.

Kaz

one of the things the star means to me is meditation, going within to find inner knowledge.
also the star is the "light" that gives guidance (pole star) and hope.
i almost never get this card for myself......hmm, it's a nice card.

kaz

Maan

Hi Kaz the star always reminds me of the dutch " dwaalichtjes" you know what that is in english?
Wasn't in the dictionary when i tried to find it for my first post on this subject :(
But your comment about guidence reminded me of it :)

wavebreaker

Maan said:
Hi Kaz the star always reminds me of the dutch " dwaalichtjes" you know what that is in english?

According to my dictionary, it's a wildfire or ignis fatuus.

starfish66

I have to tell you guys... in reading this thread, I think it is so cool that the internet allows me the privilege of learning more about Tarot from people all over the world. What a great thing the computer is!

I love that I can read comments and learn new words in different languages (Dutch, Italian, etc.).

Too cool.

:TSTAR Starfish

MattDouglas

Amyel- The Mythic deck was what really helped me understand the Star card, too. Although perhaps I interpret the Mythic Star card a little differently. As I understand the myth, it was inevitable and perhaps necessary for pandora to open the box. Yes, it released the plagues, but there would be no hope without it either. I've oftne seen Pandora's box as being equivalent to the tree of knowledge of good and evil in genesis. Adam and Eve were supposed to eat from it. It's part of the loss of innocence necessary for growing up. that's not to say we can't maintain some sense of innocence as we get older, but that we should keep our troubles "swept under the rug" or (in this case) "locked up in a box." The need tobe brought to the surface and dealt with, though it may be painful at first. Only by acknowledging the good and the evil of what we have been through can we hope to make true sense of our lives. As children, we are often overwhelmed by traumas and for survival's sake need to lock up our feelings. However, keeping these feelings locked up as we get older only ends up causing us even more pain in the long run.

To this day I remember (and probably always will) the first reading I did with this deck. It was for a friend who had some serious problems that she really needed some counseling for. I had tried to tell her this, but she just kept saying she would be okay; and yet these problems kept affecting her. Well, she shuffled, cut, and then I dealt out the CC. Sure enough the Star card came up in the final outcome position (and I was sh--ting in my pants). I knew exactly what was being said, but was going throught the other cards trying to think of some other way to interpret that card, fearing that she would think I was just setting her up, since I had told her those same things before. Well, I couldn't think of any other meaning that fit and gave it to her straight, telling her that she needed to explore the darkness to find the bright light buried deep within it. She actually took it pretty well, although I wonder if she was just being nice.

There are other meaning to this card that I do use, depending on the other card in the reading. Most of them however can be summed up witht he word "hope."

One other is a meaning I use for Star cards in deck where the woman pouring the water into the river has the cup or chalice held in such a way that it is blocking her private area. Often this card in these decks comes up in postion 7 of the CC (which I use as indicating fears) reversed when I'm reading for middle aged women. I look as indicating menopause and their fear of growing older and not being able to do all the things they used to. If this same card reversed came up in a reading for a woman who was young and skinny I'd look at it as amenorrhea (which is probably caused by an eating disorder). Fortunately, this scenario has not occured in any of my readings yet (fingers-crossed).

Hope this helps,
Love, understanding, and compassion,
Matt