Laguz

Kiama

Laguz, otherwise known as Laukiz, Lagu, Logr, Lago. I pronounce this one la-gooz although Umbrae may pronounce it differently cuz he has an American accent and mine's English.

Some say this Rune is representative of a Lake, and thus, Water, and all that is associated with that element. Some people say that in a reading, this Rune points to a receptive frame of mind, or the use of intuition. Others say that it points to an overflow of emotions, where one feels overwhelmed, usually by the emotions of love/affection, or the beginning of a new relationship.

Another meaning of Laguz is to be found in the cliché 'Go with the flow', pointing again to receptivity, but also to acceptance of the way things are. This Rune reminds us that sometimes the rational mind is impotent when dealing with certain situations, and in these situations, the intuitive mind must take over, and instead of fighting this part of the mind, we must learn to live with it.

Also stemming from the receptivity is a marvellous opportunity to learn, whether that learning take on the form of spiritual questing, or academic study. It points to the creative and expressive arts, and signifies that any obstacles blocking your path will be washed away by natural process.

Merkstave, this Rune can represent either the misuse, misinterpretation, or misjudgement of one's intuition: It could be blocked, imagined, or not listened to properly, and in this case, difficulties will ensue. Laguz Merkstave also points to problems with relatioships, or difficulty expressing one's emotions.

Kiama

Umbrae

Note from my notebook

I pronounce this with a slight welsh (not english) accent, so that it sounds like law-Gooz.

Lake, water, also the great sea of cosmic forces.
Things concealed and unknown.
Stern tests (as an ocean storm); keep your head and grow, correct action with correct thought, or drown.

Uncomfortable situation that can (if you survive) bring great personal change.

Go with the flow. Water journey.

As a merkstave, you may be making wrong decisions and poor judgments. Lack of creativity and feelings of being in a rut.

As a person Laguz represents a sailor, fisherman, or a lawyer.

zorya

umbrae once clarified laguz merkstave for me, in this very picturesque way;

re; laguz merkstave "being in a rut",
"laguz means lake and refers to the ocean. imagine yourself in a small boat in a storm. when you get to the top of a wave, all you see are more waves. when you are in the trough of the wave, they tower over your head. it is difficult at times like this to imagine that the storm will not last forever."

FaerieStorm

Sleep and Dreams

Just a thought: can Laguz be connected with sleep, dreams, and the subconscious? Even though I'm new to the Runes, this connection seems to make sense; however, I've never seen such connections made.

Thoughts?

caridwen

FaerieStorm said:
Just a thought: can Laguz be connected with sleep, dreams, and the subconscious? Even though I'm new to the Runes, this connection seems to make sense; however, I've never seen such connections made.

Thoughts?

Most definately yes and how astute of you to pick up on that:)

It can be connected to mental illness, neurosis, the subconscious, dreams - similar I suppose to Water as the emotions/feelings.

psychic sue

I dreamed of this rune the other night. I was looking in a betting shop (something I never do by the way unless it's the Grand National!) and I saw a horse named Laguz. I put a lot of money on it and I won!

Maybe the rune's message is to "go with the flow" and look out for opportunities?

Ankou

Should have picked up on that! Lagu has been plauging me this whole time I've been trying to learn the Runes. I'm even making a Lagu set from river wood... hmmm....

Ankou

Umbrae

Well there is a duality to how the Germanic/Norse/Teutonic peoples viewed water – the water of life and the water of death. Water was a prosperity and peril.

It is the rune that rules brewing (wine, mead, and ale – beer is for the English LOL) and bodily fluids (spittle and blood).

Standing water was viewed as ‘venom’. There is an aspect of concealment, and the unknown; of transitions between life and death (you are born, cross the water to the west, and die – Odhinn often appears as a ferryman to collect the souls of the dead…).

Laguz is seen as representing the subconscious. But it is also the rune of deception, poison, and illness.

einhverfr

The Norse myths clearly distinguish between venemous waters and waters of life. Venomous waters are dangerously cold and generally connected with death and the primordial formation of this world. Waters of life are connected with yeast, brewing, agriculture, etc. and are not so cold as to pose an immediate danger to one's life.

Two of the rune poems speak of this poem as representing waters which are condusive to life. The third, the ONRR speaks of waterfalls and gold, and this is clearly a reference to Otter's Randsom in the Volsung Saga, in which Loki catches the dwarf Andvari (who is in the shape of a pike) beneath a waterfall and makes him give up his gold. Andvari gives all his gold but keeps one ring back. Loki calls him on it and Andvari curses this ring to be the death of whoever owned it. It is possible to see the ONRR as therefore representing both the waters of life and the venomous waters of death.

Moonkissed Wolf

FaerieStorm said:

Thoughts?

I love that you wrote this! When I'd first seen the rune, I thought, "Water, subconsciousness and possibly psychic abilities."

Too awesome!