Thoth - List of Editions.

gregory

Kissa said:
can't remember where i saw side by side comparisons of the Icky Green and the AGM

It may be in the thread called Icky Green Thoth or something - I posted a few there when I was bidding on the greenest deck ever seen........ (which sadly wasn't all that green when it arrived !)

I think the new one is going to be very much like the Muller one, I'm afraid. Which means back borders.....

Kimber

Oh My Aching Thoth...

Wow, what a lot of info in this thread! It's interesting that Llewellyn mentions its HK/1969 as the first, followed by the Llewellyn USA edition...and then skips right over Weiser and jumps to the USG edition(s). I wonder where the Weiser edition falls on the timeline. I have A Weiser USA and a Llewellyn USA (still looking for that gold print slipcase HK edition!), and both decks mirror the descriptions posted elsewhere in this thread; e.g., no "8" on the 8 of Cups and Ace printed upside down (Llewellyn USA).

I just picked up a version on Ebay (waiting for it to arrive in the mail) that isn't all that old (1978, I believe), but it's a version I see only rarely, with multilingual borders. I'll post more when I receive it. Does anyone else have one of these?

I've also got the regular USG white box greenie and the AG Mueller 3 magus edition....I hate when I get obsessed with various editions of the same deck! I do the same thing with RWS variations.

Kimber

White Box C - 4 Language Version

OK, I just received my latest Thoth acquisition! The quality of this deck is much better than my 1978 "greenie". The printing is sharp, the colors are good, and the cards aren't flimsy. The misprints of the earlier editions (misisng "8"; upside down artwork) have been corrected.

Date of deck - 1978, 1983 (I assume it's from 1983)
Publisher - USG (cards printed in Belgium; box and lwb printed in the US)
Box design, it's colour etc. - Standard white flip top box with black and red type
Card Size - 5.5"x3.75"
Fronts, borders, their colour and decoration (if any), etc. - Grey borders with lines. English title on bottom; French at top left, Spaniish at top right, German on left border. Majors include a Hebrew letter and astrological symbol on either side of the title.
Backs, wether they have white borders or not - No borders.
Extra cards, hexagram, OTO cards, magi etc. - The hexagram card, the OTO card, and an advertisement card. Only 1 Magus card.
LWB, contents - Instructions by Wasserman; two essays by Lady F and commentary by Kaplan.
ISBN - 0913866-15-6

That's it!
Kimber

gregory

What colour hexagram - I am betting rainbow ?

Kimber

Hexagram Card

What colour hexagram - I am betting rainbow ?
Hope you didn't have a large wager riding on that one. :c) The hexagram is red on a black field.

gregory

FASCINATING. I bought a green USG box to get a UCH at all, and it was rainbow. (Thank goodness I got a used greenie - which sounds like the same edition as yours now that I think about it, but the later print where the green was corrected - from e-bay with the red and black or I might feel the need to....)
Sounds like what Jeannette calls white box C.

Merenwen

I don't know if it's any good as I haven't seen it. I can't get to tarotgarden.com at work, but looking around the web I found a link to this:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

The article that link came from also links here!
(I'm lurking here as I'm considering buying a Thoth)

gregory

It's an excellent table - I think I already referred to it further up ! The white box editions are on the whole only available from e-bay. Unless TG has a few - I can't look, as their site seems to have crashed....

Kimber

White Box C - 4 Language Version

Gregory said: FASCINATING. I bought a green USG box to get a UCH at all, and it was rainbow. (Thank goodness I got a used greenie - which sounds like the same edition as yours now that I think about it, but the later print where the green was corrected - from e-bay with the red and black or I might feel the need to....)
Sounds like what Jeannette calls white box C.
None of my Thoth decks have a rainbow hexagram card, oddly enough. I have a Weiser (White Box A), a Llewellyn (White Box B) (US edition), a White Box C "greenie", The White Box C -4 Language, and a Blue Box 3 Magus.

Oh, and an extra C greenie that is pending a borderectomy.....
<chortle>

Merenwen

gregory said:
It's an excellent table - I think I already referred to it further up !

Sorry Gregory. I'm having trouble staying focused long enough to read the whole of this thread! I'll try to do better next time! :blush: