Thoth - List of Editions.

inanna_tarot

Lillie said:
The first US games edition seems to have been in 77, and this seems to be the start of the 'green decks'.

Listed by Strange2

Date of deck: 1977
Publisher: U.S. Games Systems, Inc.
Printed in: Belgium
Box design: White
Card Size: 140 x 95 mm
Fronts: Green border with design, astrological symbols and Hebrew letters on bottom of trumps
Backs: No borders, design covers entire back of card
Extra cards: OTO card, Red Unicursal Hexagram card
LWB, contents : 46 pages, by James Wasserman, plus two essays by Lady Frieda Harris with commentary and footnotes by Stuart R. Kaplan
ISBN: 0-913866-15-6 LWB

Cerulean also has this deck with an additional blank card as well as the hexagram and OTO cards.
He gives a complete discription of the writing on the box in his post. See below.

Well I have 2 copies of this edition (checked ISBN to be sure :p )

One is a a 2nd printing - which isnt that green and the booklet has tiny writing and has no blank pages. I did not get any extra cards with this deck. Smooth and non greasey/waxy finish.

second deck is the 5th printing - which is very green with some colours very vibrant. The Emperor for example is firey red in this deck, whilst in the other its more orangey red. The booklet is a bigger and has blank pages after the finis. Had a blank card, OTO and red hexagram. Also the cards feel very waxy (its the best I can describe it) though I dont know if thats the production or from who I bought it off.

I wouldnt have expected this much difference with decks with the same ISBN, but is it that common? Did it take a few printings before the inky green-ness came through?

Thanks,
Sezo
x

Vadella

Date of deck &
Publisher: U.S. Games Systems; Standard Edition edition (June 1, 1972)
Printed in: Belgium
Box design: Green with the 2 of Disks
Card Size: 5.7 x 3.9 x 1.2 inches
Fronts: White border with Gray design, Astrological and Kabbalistic attribution on the cards.
Backs: White borders
Extra cards: OTO card, Rainbow Unicursal Hexagram card
LWB, contents : 49 pages, Instructions by James Wasserman, two essays by Lasy Frieda Harris with commentary and footnotes by Stuart R. Kaplan.
ISBN: 0-913-866-15-6 Box & LWB

Cerulean

I enjoy this thread and may suggest...

that we use the pantone coloring system to gauge fade, shade and color terms and perhaps a sewing gauge or ruler with 1/16th inch divisions...8-> (I'm kidding)..
...from someone known to insist on playing with the boxes and fussing about borders in their quest for aged and perfected decks...(and hunting for her first gold-boxed Thoth)

Cerulean

fyreflye

As a longtime owner of an AGM 1986 large Thoth deck which includes an O.T.O. card and a Unicursal Hexagram but only one Magus card, I've been intrigued by reports from others here who have the same deck with two additional Magi. So when I saw such a deck listed on eBay I bought it and it arrived today. Apart from the fact that today's deck has the additional Magi but no O.T.O. or U.H. card, the decks seem identical. The design and numberings on the blue box are the same and the lwb by "The Hermit" (Crowley) the same as my first 1986 deck. Since both decks were purchased used I suppose it's possible that somebody removed the two Magi from my first deck and someone else filched the U.H. and the O.T.O. card from my new one, but that seems a rather unlikely coincidence. So apparently we have two versions of this 1986 printing. I suspect one of them may have originally been produced to go with AGM's Gerd Ziegler book and deck set, but that's just a guess.

Lillie

I think it is just 2 different ways of using the 'extra' cards.
Give me the UH any day.

Dean

U.k

Hi i have been trying to get hold of a Vintage deck for some time, its a Thoth deck which does NOT have the White Border on the back, and also in a White Box. Do any Thoth Members have any ideas where i should search?

fyreflye

Deanres said:
Hi all i'am Deanres and new, i have been trying to get hold of a Vintage deck for some time, its the Crowley Thoth deck which does NOT have the White Border on the back, and also in a White Box. Do any Thoth Members have any ideas where i should search?

I, and most everybody else, got ours on eBay. It shows up regularly and I think there's one or more up for auction now. Read all the preceding posts so you'll know what to look for. Most eBay sellers who have these got them in estate sales and know nothing about them. You may have to ask for a jpeg of the card back or inquire about the publisher. The Weiser and Llewellyn USA editions are going for around $60 now, around twice what I bid for mine less than a year ago. The U. S. Games set goes cheap. Please don't anyone bid against me when the Llewellyn Hong Kong edition shows up ;)

Lillie

I saw a very scruffy HK one got a few weeks ago for almost nothing.
Cos you had to squint to read the words on the side of the box!

Deanres.
If you want one in the white outer box with the gold inner box then you will probably have to pay quite a bit.

However, the early US games editions, also have no white borders on the back, and come in a white box, an ordinary one, with the flaps at the top and bottom. These have the black and red hexagram card, and are my personal favourite.
These are far cheaper. And have better definition in the printing. But do have a 'hint of mint' about the colours!

Don't be fooled by ebay sellers saying 'vintage'. they say this about almost anything!

Grigori

Tarot Garden had some on display at the Melbourne conferance. You could ask them if they were for sale or not. One of them had some printing flaws I think also, so it is extra collectable.