Aleph, Mem and Shin:

ravenest

Does Platonian mind really equates to spirit?

No, that was me trying to make it easy.

Did he not say that the material world is illusion and false, and true world is the world of idea? So rather than spirit, mind is the epistemological implications, i.e. the conceived world, highest form of true world?

Lets call it ' a type of 'Neoplatonism' then. Mind is air, pnuema ( breath, life, spirit,) and 'spirit' (not that the Greeks used that English word, they had many words for a similar but different concepts and 'form' is the highest, the 'essence' of form being the highest form. The essence of a thing is it's spirit. Its hard to nut out simply using English words.

One way to start a preliminary look is to ask a bunch of random people ( white western non-Platonists) what they think 'spirit' is or means. Chances are , you will get the biggest gunk of uneducated gobbledegook you have heard !

I will leave it in its simple stage. I have previously been abused, insulted, complained about, reported and suspended here for, amongst other things, deeply debating philosophy, linking to texts demonstrating proofs , having a methodical step by step analysis and response to ideas in a post, and not allowed to use non-English words or phrases etc. - thats not allowed ... apparently .

Anyway, what's here should suffice for tarot purposes .

The 'philosophy' here is that everyone and all opinions are right. There is no debate at all in Platonism that that is a false assumption ! So, philosophy and method aren't going to work here.

foolMoon

Tarot has philosophies, psychology and religion behind it, and they cannot be separated, I would have thought.

Without them, it is just piece of cardboard papers printed with some pictures really.

ravenest

Its also big business and turns a buck for a LOT of people.

One cant ignore that dynamic in its 'expression' ... especially in its most 'popular' form !

foolMoon

After all we all are living in the 10th Sephiroth the kingdom physically. No one can ignore the power of earth, I suppose.

Owl Tarot

After all we all are living in the 10th Sephiroth the kingdom physically. No one can ignore the power of earth, I suppose.

I find this passage from The Book of Thoth about the Ace of Disks particularly interesting about this subject:

Book of Thoth said:
These historical data are necessary to explain why all previous packs are of little more than archaeological interest; for the New Aeon demanded a new system of symbolism. Thus, in particular, the old conception of the Earth as a passive, immobile, even dead, even “evil” element, had to go. It was imperative to restore the King-Scale colour attribution to that of the Aeon of Isis, Emerald Green, as was understood by the Egyptian Hierophants. This green is, however, not the original vegetable green of Isis, but the new green of spring following the resurrection of Osiris as Horus. Nor are the Disks any more to be considered as Coins; the Disk is a whirling emblem. Naturally so; since it is now know that every Star, every true Planet, is a whirling sphere. The Atom, again, is no more the hard, intractable, dead Particle of Dalton, but a system of whirling forces, comparable to the Solar hierarchy itself.

This thesis dovetails perfectly with the new Doctrine of Tetragrammaton, where the Earthy component, He’ final, the Daughter, is set upon the Throne of the Mother, to awaken the Eld of the All- Father. The NAME itself, accordingly, is no longer a fixed symbol, emblem of extension and limit, but a continuously revolving sphere; in the words of Zoroaster, “rebounding, whirling forth, crying aloud”.

Zephyros

Marginally off topic, perhaps, but what is the significance of what Crowley says in the entry on the Universe, when says candidates are shocked when they are told Osiris is a black god? It obviously has something to do with the Universe but I an unable to reconcile his blackness, or why the color black would be associated with him.

ravenest

Well, in Egyptology he would be symbolised as green - regeneration and fertility. But black can mean that as well ( Khemet - Egypt - the black land - the fertile dark Nile mud, etc.

So, if one understands Egyptology one isnt surprised as the colour black is regeneration, like green is .... who knows that Crowley meant, probably some symbol based on his beliefs or a misunderstanding of (then ) 'obscure' Egyptian symbolism.

Thelema ain't Egyptology.

foolMoon

I find this passage from The Book of Thoth about the Ace of Disks particularly interesting about this subject:

That is a great quote from BOT, which is deep and rich explication of the card. Thanks for your sharing. :)

Barleywine

That is a great quote from BOT, which is deep and rich explication of the card. Thanks for your sharing. :)

Yes, reimagining the Disk as a "whirling emblem" instead of a "coin" is one of the many instances of genius in the BoT. Although one of the less elaborate examples, that kind of inspired thinking is what has made the book a lifetime study for me.