A new spread idea: the Confucian Cross

Geenius at Wrok

As a student of Confucianism, recently I found that the pair relationships in so many different tarot spreads reminded me of Confucius' "five relationships": lord-subject, parent-child, elder-younger, husband-wife and friend-friend. It gave me the idea of developing a tarot spread based on these five relationships and their reciprocality. (By "reciprocality," I mean that every such relationship is a two-way street, e.g., just as the subject has certain responsibilities to the lord, such as obedience and loyalty, the lord has responsibilities to the subject, such as fairness and generosity.)

Each person is at the center of a web of reciprocal social relationships. Therefore, in this reading, the significator lies at the center of a symmetrical pattern. Each position in the spread corresponds to a social role from one of the five relationships and can be interpreted in one of three ways: referring literally to the person who occupies that role in the querent's life (e.g., an older brother), referring figuratively to the role itself (e.g., something that has come before), or referring figuratively to the ideal expression of that role (e.g., a protective force). (N.B. In Confucius' China, husband-wife was considered a hierarchical relationship, like lord-subject, instead of a relationship of peers, like friend-friend. For this spread, I've retained the role differentiation, but I've placed this pair on the "friend-friend" axis.)

The significator is always a court card. The suit is chosen according to the querent's role in society (or, if a youth, family background): swords for "aristocracy" (political figures, judges, military people), cups for "scholars" (academics, spiritual leaders, civil servants, knowledge professionals), coins for "merchants" and "artisans" (businesspeople, engineers, creative professionals), staves for "farmers" (actual farmers and gardeners, but also anyone with a job that offers no ownership in the enterprise, as feudal peasants didn't own the land they worked). The specific card in the suit is chosen by age, sex and personality. Place the significator at the center of the spread.

The cards are laid out as follows:

[4][fixed]
7 3 S 4 8
A​
[/fixed][/4]

1. Older Brother. An actual older brother or sister, or a close friend who is older. Also, a protector or benefactor, or someone/something that you are obliged to respect. Also, the recent past.

2. Younger Brother. An actual younger brother or sister, or a close friend who is younger. Also, someone or something you must look after; a duty. Also, the near future.

3. Husband. An actual or potential spouse or romantic partner, esp. a dominant one. Also, someone/something that provides for you. Also, someone/something to which you have committed yourself.

4. Wife. An actual or potential spouse or romantic partner, esp. a compliant one. Also, someone/something that you have taken responsibility for.

5. Parent. An actual parent. Also, underlying, originating or generative forces. Also, something you must let direct or guide you.

6. Child. An actual child. Also, something you have generated or created. Also, something you must guide or direct.

7, 8. Friends. Actual friends, acquaintances or peers. Also, sources of assistance or support. Also, someone/something you must deal with directly and honestly.

9. Lord. An all-dominating force that governs you and/or the situation and cannot be ignored.

A. Subject. The primary source of energy available for you to draw upon. Unlike the other cards, the Lord and Subject should not be interpreted as referring to specific individuals.

Confucius himself appears as the Hierophant. If he shows up in your reading, the relationship you find him in is of overwhelming importance! Focus intently on how you relate to those who are in this relationship with you.

I invite all of you to give this spread a spin and let me know how it works for you.

MeeWah

Geenius: Just took a quick look at your spread invention & it is fascinating; even inspired :)
The hierarchical concept was indeed a prevailing influence on the family structure which usually spanned at least 3 generations: grandparents, parents, offspring. It was customary to refer or defer major decisions to the eldest member of the household, such as the grandparent. If the grandfather was deceased, the authority was the grandmother; so on. In theory, the practice was based on the respect accorded the person's age & the accumulated wisdom.
The society of ancient China was similar to the feudal system of medieval Europe. Its emphasis on a social class structure directed that titles or social standing & worldly possessions such as real property passed from father to eldest son or to the next appropriate male relative. Women were not eligible to inherit nor permitted to make decisions as long as there was a viable "elder" of the family. That elder was sometimes a relative outside of the immediate household.
It will be interesting to use this spread with the Chinese Tarot, a deck I use often & have been using almost exclusively the last few months. In this deck, Confuscius is depicted on the card traditionally known as 20-Judgement.
I am not looking to alter your spread, but occurred to me that the "Parent" position could also refer to "ancestral influences". Chalk it up to my cultural heritage :)

Geenius at Wrok

MeeWah (02 Feb, 2002 09:37):
Geenius: Just took a quick look at your spread invention & it is fascinating; even inspired :)

Thanks!

I am not looking to alter your spread, but occurred to me that the "Parent" position could also refer to "ancestral influences".

I'll buy that.

catlin

Looks pretty interesting. Guess I will try it out with my Mah Jongg cards.