Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

How many spreads?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot

Resident

Hayyot 
Smile How many spreads?

Greetings everyone.
I`m a Tarot fan still getting familiar with the cards, but the only spread I do so far is the common 3 card spread.
However, in time, my goal is to read for others as well.
Here comes the question: how many spreads you think one should know, when reading for other people?
Thank you.
Top   #1
Citizen

Nemia 

I have collected over the years a repertoire of spreads from books and websites, but I use mostly the same seven, eight spreads that I like. And nowadays, I simply make up my own spreads for the questions I have.

First get to know the cards in small spreads, then start experimenting with spreads, would be my basic advice - of course, nothing speaks against experimenting with spreads before you know the cards, if you don't find it confusing.

I'm also one of those who like to work with small spreads. I found that 4 card spreads are my favorites (I have an affinity to the number 4). I prefer to squeeze everything I can from 4 cards instead of pulling more and more clarification cards - which only muddle things for me.

But that's a very personal decision and may also change over time.

I don't think there are any rules. Just take it step by step. Far as I know, there is no minimum required number of spreads you have to know to read the cards successfully for yourself or others.
Top   #2
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

Most of the time, just one. For general "life-reading" requests with no specific question, I use the "Swiss Army Knife" of spreads, the Celtic Cross. It fits comfortably into a 30-minute face-to-face reading session and is excellent for situational awareness and developmental insights. I have a couple of dozen question-specic spreads that I created over the years in the following areas, but only a handful of them get much use: Decision-Making, Problem-Solving, Relationships, Work and Business, Life-Reading, Health and Happiness, Miscellaneous, and my own enhanced version of the Celtic Cross. I prefer larger spreads that are focused on situations, circumstances, actions and events rather than on psychological perspectives, but can easily adapt to the nature of the question.
Top   #3
Resident

Hayyot 

Thank you very much for your answers
Top   #4
Aspiring Mystical Crone

Tanga 

There are only 3 spreads that I remember - the Celtic Cross, which I had drummed into my head as a beginner,
A 5 card circle spread, and a 7/8 card Hexagram spread. (I like 5 because it's the number of the 5 elements in a Pentacle and symbolic for a Wiccan - and 7 is a special number for me).

I end up sticking to the familiar if I'm reading face-to-face, unless I'm reading for a fellow Tarot enthusiast and can say "let me just check in my file what spread I could use for your question"...

Only recently (this is after years!) someone asked me a question and I thought - I'll just make-up a spread for that... I considered this a milestone for myself.

I've a small collection of other favourite spreads (collected mostly from AT, some from books) and I'd be delighted if I eventually had these automatically at my fingertips too. Lol.

Over time you'll find out what you like that works for you.
Top   #5
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

I had an idea the other day, for those spreads I don't have thoroughly memorized. When I read face-to-face, I often flash a print-out of the spread I'll be using at my sitter to give them the idea that there's a "method to my madness." I'm thinking I might get a small easel to display the spread during the reading, allegedly so the sitter can follow along, but really so I can use it as a "cheat sheet." I'll just pretend it's part of the "theater of tarot," like candles, incense and crystals. Not sure if this will be workable, but it's a thought.
Top   #6
Citizen

Francesca 

I use the Celtic Cross--a version I developed over the years-- a 7-card rainbow spread, and a 5-card horseshoe spread. And of course 3 cards now and a gain.

For the Rainbow and the Horseshoe I keep the meanings of the positions loose. I like to see an overarching story or progression in a spread before I start to get into the details.
Top   #7
Aspiring Mystical Crone

Tanga 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
I had an idea the other day, for those spreads I don't have thoroughly memorized. When I read face-to-face, I often flash a print-out of the spread I'll be using at my sitter to give them the idea that there's a "method to my madness." I'm thinking I might get a small easel to display the spread during the reading, allegedly so the sitter can follow along, but really so I can use it as a "cheat sheet." I'll just pretend it's part of the "theater of tarot," like candles, incense and crystals. Not sure if this will be workable, but it's a thought.
Hmmmmm... :
I'm running with that thought Barleywine...

I have an A5 sized file with spreads and stuff in it. Perhaps re-ordering so my "favourite spreads" are
one per page...to be removed like a flash sheet as you suggest.
Top   #8
Citizen

nisaba 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayyot View Post
Greetings everyone.
I`m a Tarot fan still getting familiar with the cards, but the only spread I do so far is the common 3 card spread.
However, in time, my goal is to read for others as well.
Here comes the question: how many spreads you think one should know, when reading for other people?
Thank you.
You need a good general spread that will pull out specific information on all different areas of their life separately.

You need a good spread which will tell them what they need to focus on / work on right now.

But most of all, you need to be able to tailor-make unique spreads quickly for unique situations. That is the skill that has helped me the most over the years.
Top   #9
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

Personally, I would never think of springing an untested (or at least insufficiently considered) spread on paying customers who are sitting there all too ready to scratch their heads in puzzlement. I can't be going through herky-jerky revisionism in the middle of trying to craft a seamless narrative; it just doesn't seem "professional."

"I think this position means this. Oh wait, maybe it really means that, or it might mean something else entirely."

I go through enough of this second-guessing when matching card meanings to well-established spread positions to think that cutting both of them loose from their moorings is a good idea.
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.