The 1861 Essay of William Pinkerton

philebus

Well, reading the essay, he does make explicit mention of minchiate and that the pack has 97 cards on page 297. So, he knew of both packs and their differences.

It still strikes me as a little odd that his description of 'tarocchi' seems to be of minchiate. With the exception of tarocchino, all other games score on card points, bids, and bonuses. There is one discrepancy - though I shall have to check and see if the rules had altered much since the time of Pinkerton's writing this - the use of Matto in minchiate is not quite as a wild card as Pinkerton says, it can be added to a sequence to extend it but it cannot be used to replace a missing card from a sequence.

philebus

OK. At a glance, Dummett's latest source for the rules predates this essay by less than 10 years and it doesn't look as though the rules had increased in complexity over the years. I would want to put the discrepancy in the Matto's use down to lack of knowlege of the game. So, I'm just about convinced, minchiate was played in 19th century Louisiana.

Just to illustrate what I mean by the game being far from childish, here is a draft of the rules extracted from Dummett's account of them.

I've never found these rules elsewhere on the internet, so this might be of interest to folk beyond Pinkerton's essay.

The Cards

There are four regular suites each of four court cards and ten pip cards with Latin suits and irrational ranking. This means that the suits of swords and batons rank K, Q, C, V, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and the suits of cups and coins rank K, Q, C, V, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. There is then the fifth suit of trumps numbering forty, with the last five being unnumbered. Finally there is a Fool which is played as an excuse.

Card points do not win a game, it is the points won from sequences and combinations that tip the balance. However, points are scored from cards - though not by all the traditional ones. To begin with, the empty cards (those that don’t carry any points or at least have very low points) really are empty - they score for nothing. Most striking of all is that the court cards below the rank of King are relegated to being empty cards.

The Arie (the top 5 trumps) 10
Papa Uno (the 1 of trumps) 5
XIII 5
XX 5
XXVIII 5
XXXtoXXXV 5
Matto (The Fool) 5
Kings 5
Papa II-V (Trumps II-V) 3

With 10 points scored for the last trick. The cards are counted individually making 91 points in the pack.

Noble Trumps: These are the trumps that carry points
Ignoble Trumps: These are the trumps that carry no points.

Papi: These are the five lowest trumps
Arie: These are the five highest trumps
Sopratrenti: XXXI-XXXV
Sopraventi: XXI-XXIX
Sottoventi: XI-XIX
Rossi: XXXIII-XXXX (all of these cards have a red background)
Salamandre: XVI-XIX

Versicole: These are the scoring combinations
La Fola: This is the stock

Versicole

Regular versicole:
These consist of three or more consecutive trumps
Versicole di papi: a sequence within the first five trumps
Versicole di tarocchi: a sequence from XXXVIII or higher
Versicole d’arie: a sequence within the last five trumps
Versicole di trenti: a sequence including the XXX
Versicole di sopratrenti: a sequence beginning with XXXI or XXXII
Versicole di rossi: the XXXIII, XXXIV, and XXXV

Irregular versicole:
Versicole del Matto: the I, XXXX, and Matto
Versicole del Tredici: I, XIII, and XXVIII
Versicole delle diecine: X, XX, and XXX or
XX, XXX, and XXXX or
X, XX, XXX, and XXXX
Versicole dei Regi: any three or four Kings.

All versicole may have Matto added to them but it cannot act as a wild card to in lieu of a missing card to make the sequence.

All versicole score for the card points within them with the XXIX scoring for 5.

If you look at the list of versicole, you will see that only the counting cards and the XXIX are used to make sequences.

Partnerships

Players form two partnerships, and sit with each partner opposite the other. After four rounds have been played, it was usual for players to switch partners for the next round.

Robbing the Pack

The first dealer is chosen at random, deal then moves to the right with each hand. Youngest (dealer’s left) cuts the cards and turns over the lifted part of the pack. If the exposed card is a counting card or a trump higher than XX, then Youngest takes the card, placing it face up. The same is repeated with the next card until either the card cannot be taken or youngest has taken 13.

Deal

Dealer completes the cut and deals each player one packet of 10 cards and a second of 11 cards with the last card dealt face up. If the exposed card carries any points, the player dealt it scores for them. Youngest’s side then score for any card points in the robbed cards.

Robbing the Fola

The remaining cards are called the Fola. Dealer places the pile face down and exposes the top card. If it is a counting card or a trump higher than XX, then dealer takes the card, placing it face up. The same is repeated with the next card until the card cannot be taken or there are no cards left. Dealer’s side then sore for any card points in the robbed cards.

Pigliare

Dealer now examines the fola and removes any counting cards, placing them face up. These cards will go toward the dealer’s sides tricks but they are not scored now. What remains of the fola is now passed to dealer’s partner who sorts them into their suits. The trumps are placed in pile face down and the regular suit cards are placed face up.

Discards

Youngest and dealer now pick up any cards they have robbed into their hands and must then discard the same number of cards that they took. The discards may not include any counting cards but may contain any others, including trumps. With the discards completed, Eldest leads to the first trick - however, other players do not yet play to the trick.

Declarations

Players may now declare any versicole in their hands by placing the relevant cards face up for all to see. When each side has scored for their declarations, the exposed cards are gathered back up by their declarers.

Completing the Fola

Dealer and Youngest now pass their discards to dealer’s partner who sorts them and places them with the other cards of the Fola. Again, the trumps are placed face down but the suit cards are face up. After everyone has seen them, all the fola cards are gathered up and passed to Dealer who placed them to one side. Dealer may examine the cards at any time and other players may as at any point to be reminded on the number of cards of each suit.

Dealer also collects up those cards of the Pigliare to form the start of his/her side’s trick pile.

Play

Play now continues to the first trick, each player in turn, moving to the right, must then play a card of the same suit (follow suit) as that led. If a player cannot follow suit, then they must play a trump, if they cannot play a trump, then they can play any card, though it will not win. If no trumps have been played, then the highest card of the suit led wins the trick and that player takes the cards and puts them into his/her trick pile. Otherwise, the highest trump played wins the trick.

The Matto may be played to any trick as an excuse for not playing a card you are otherwise obliged to play, but may be neither won nor lost. At the end of a trick to which the Matto has been played, the side who played it takes it into their own trick pile and gives the side who won the trick, an empty card from their trick pile in exchange. They may wait until the hand has been played to hand over the card but if they have only taken counting cards, then they must surrender one and the other side will score for it immediately.

When following suit to the first trick led to any of the regular suits, the player who holds the King must at their turn play it to the trick if a trump has been played.

When a trick is won, any counting cards in the trick that played by the opposing side are scored by the team that wins it.

At the end of the hand, if the team that had the Matto won no tricks, they must hand over the Matto which immediately scores for the other side.

When a player has no more trumps, then they have the option of dropping their hand. To do so, they place their cards face up on the table and make no further play. The winner of each trick may take any suitable card from the exposed hand - ie they must take a card of the suit led if there is one or, if not, then any other. Obviously, it would be a mistake to take this option if any Kings are still held.

Final Scores

Players should already have made a number of scores during the game. In the original scheme these scores were tracked by a running total, whereby the points scored by the side with the fewer points were deducted from those of the team with the most points. A little long winded - and unnecessary. I recommend just tracking your team’s own total till the end.

The team that won more than 42 cards in their tricks, now wins as many points as they won cards over 42.

Each team scores for all the card points in its tricks.

Each team scores for any versicole in its tricks.

The team with the most points wins and players pay in game points or in stakes according to the difference between the points taken by each side. If the difference is up to and including 60, then 1 game point is paid. If above 60 up and including 120, then 2 game points are paid. This scoring system then just continues in multiples of 60.

philebus

Yep, I've played most of them too.

As I posted earlier, the use of sequences is unique to two families of tarot game, those of the tarocchino and minchiate. The term verzicole is what ties Pinkerton's account to minchiate. As he has knowlege of the minchiate pack but doesn't mention the distinct (by then with the four moors), tarocchino, I'm inclined to accept that he is describing minchiate.

Julien

I've been reading through this thread, and I have to ask a fairly flat-footed question (but forgive me -- I'm not a tarot historian though I do read some)....

William Pinkerton -- what do we know about him aside from this publication?

Julien

philebus

Off hand, the only William Pinkerton I know of is of the detective agency. I'm about to have a little dig into the internet to see if I can find something. I want to know more if I'm to include this minchiate stuff in my notes.

Julien

Yep, that's the Pinkerton I thought of, too -- I did a quick google and searched a few websites, but I've found nothing about him. I'm just curious though whether he wrote other pieces, and where they were published...

Julien

philebus

The essay ends with a note that this is a William Pinkerton of Hounslow, so I don't think it's the detective. This may be someone we never know more of - his 15mins could just be this.

Julien

I was being unclear -- I didn't look up the detective. LOL... I looked up "Pinkerton AND tarot". But struck out. You may be right...

mjhurst

William Pinkerton, F.S.A.

He was an anthropologist. Apparently F.S.A. refers to a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.

Society of Antiquaries of London
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Antiquaries_of_London

For any who have JSTOR access, there is the following article.

The Late Mr. William Pinkerton.
The Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol. 1, 1872 (1872), p. 264
This article consists of 1 page(s).

WorldCat lists the following title:

Historical notices of old Belfast and its vicinity; a selection from the mss. collected by William Pinkerton, F.S.A., for his intended history of Belfast, additional documents, letters, and ballads, O'Mellan's narrative of the wars of 1641, biography of Mary Ann M'Cracken, now first printed ...
by Robert Magill Young; William Pinkerton; O'Mellan, Friar.; Robert Shipboy Macadam; Anna M'Cleery

Apparently the well-known article "The Folklore of Playing Cards" in Chambers Book of Days was written by him.

Chambers Book of Days - February 21st
http://www.thebookofdays.com/months/feb/21.htm

And there are a number of other articles by him in Notes and Queries.

Internet Library of Early Journals
http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/ilej/

Julien

Thank you Michael -- I do have JStor access, and I should have checked myself... I plead slothfulness -- I'm avoiding all things university library related today. :)

Julien