Who here has/had the first edition Morgan Greer?

minrice

Nevermind, Willow and company said theirs were the ones with the "Pods" correct? And their copies didn't have borders.

This one that Gregory found on Ebay 260391326433 is a two piece blue box version but it is a dark blue box. Those with blue boxes are yours light blue boxes or dark blue like this? The photo Willowfox posted of the light blue box looks more turquoise than this one, I don't know if it is the flash or is that really the color? The box in this listing looks like a darker blue than the other blue box Teheuti posted. Could just be the flash though...

Alan you mentioned a star next to the TAROT on both short sides of the light blue box, is it a star or two stars flanking the TAROT like the box in this listing?

I'm going to ask the ebay seller if the Page of Pods is in this deck...

Teheuti

coredil said:
There are 7 Patterns. [of Stars on the backs]
On the scan first row from left: pattern 1 to 4
second row from left: pattern 5 to 7
It is always one basic pattern (pattern 1) with some additional stars.

Each pattern appears on 12 cards except Pattern 4 which is on 6 cards only.
Duh! It took me long enough to "get" it. Cards are printed on large sheets of paper - perhaps 20 cards to a sheet. I bet someone simply created a large sheet of white stars on blue background (simple single color printing) and wasn't thinking about the significance of different star patterns ending up on specific backs.

minrice

Ohhhhh! *lightbulb too turns on*

gregory

Teheuti said:
Duh! It took me long enough to "get" it. Cards are printed on large sheets of paper - perhaps 20 cards to a sheet. I bet someone simply created a large sheet of white stars on blue background (simple single color printing) and wasn't thinking about the significance of different star patterns ending up on specific backs.
I don't think so; there are sort of balder patches towards the edges - and there are definitely the various repeating patterns that Coredil has noted.... Why would the cards each pattern ended up on not end up in the same places on the big sheets? As I say - Lillie and I found the appearance of the patterns is not consistent...

MysticalMoose

<<<<<is suffering from "Pod Envy"....:(

I have 3 different copies of the Morgan Greer: ~ And NOT a Pod in sight!!! ~ I have the brown box one that Teheuti posted the pic of...No Pods there....I have another 1979 edition which is in a dark purply/indigo box marked Dobbs Ferry with random star placement, very little in the way of lamination, feels thick with an un-numbered Chariot on the box ~ still No Pods~ & a much later Printed in Belgium satiny finish edition with uniform identical stars & certainly No Pods in that one....I WANT PODS!

:mad:

Teheuti

gregory said:
Why would the cards each pattern ended up on not end up in the same places on the big sheets?
I can think of two ways they wouldn't end up consistent with another deck:
1) the backs were printed upside down relative to an earlier printing.
2) new backs (still blue w/ white stars) were created for a different printing.

I worked as a typesetter in print houses from 1970-1976. I don't know of commercial presses at that time that would have been set up to print individual cards except for hand-run letterpresses used for expensive business cards and invitations. Maybe someone else is familiar with a press they might have used that could have produced full-color individual cards with different backs.

There's still quite a few questions to be answered.

gregory

WELL - even so - there are still balder patches at the borders, kind of. Do you have Pods, Mary ??? ;)

minrice

Teheuti said:
invitations. Maybe someone else is familiar with a press they might have used that could have produced full-color individual cards with different backs.

Would this have been an expensive piece of equipment if it had been around at this time? I found an article here

http://www.astroamerica.com/t-morg2.html

where Greer explains that the original colors from his paintings were lost because of the print/reproduction quality of the deck. He states that the Morgans were a "fledgling" printing house at the time. They didn't have enough money to reproduce the deck's colors, they probably didn't have equipment to do each individual card?