Did you start with RWS?

Metafizzypop

I did! I started with the RWS about 20 years ago. Even though I've bought several other decks since, I still consider it THE deck. I think that other tarot decks, the ones that came out after the RWS, also have a lot of respect for the RWS -- as much as a deck of tarot cards can actually have an opinion about other tarot decks (browsing around this site I get the sense that they often do). I say this because sometimes I find myself using the RWS even when I'm not actually using it. OK, that made no sense. Here's what I mean.

Tarot decks vary. Artwork and meanings can change a lot from deck to deck. The Five of Swords in one deck for example, won't be the same in the next or the next etc. Sometimes I'll do a reading, using an "alternate" deck, and I find that, try as I might, I just can't figure out what the cards are saying. I'll get stuck on a card, or 2 or 3, and going by the picture on the card and the meaning in the book that came with the deck, it just makes no sense. I might be using the Vertigo deck, or the Alchemical Deck, or the Housewives Deck. What I'll do in cases like this is I'll consider the RWS card, the picture and the meaning on that. And a lot of times it clears things up. It'll offer something that makes perfect sense. So, it looks to me that, even when I'm using a different deck, the RWS still shows up, in its own way.

I don't know if it's because the RWS was the first deck I bought, the one that's most firmly stuck in my mind. It might also be because the other Tarot decks actually consider the RWS to be the gold standard. Or maybe it's because so many books on Tarot are based on the RWS that it's given the deck more psychic force or something. I don't know. But whatever it is, the RWS deck always seems to be lurking in the background of my readings, no matter what deck I use.

Then again, sometimes there's readings I do with the RWS that I can't figure out for the life of me, either. In cases like that, I'm usually just screwed.

rcb30872

I started with RWS. Basically I think I heard somewhere that it was a very good deck to start with. Also, it was readily available to me, as I found it in a bookshop in one of the local shopping centres.

I signed up for an online tarot course, and I needed to have my own deck. I am not sure if they recommended that deck, or whatever, because it was a few years ago.

Whitney

One day when I was 14 or 15, I decided I wanted a tarot deck. I went to the metaphysics shop down the street (which has recently been sold and turned into a lame fluff shop that doesn't carry anything of value) and picked up the Universal Waite. I don't know what made me pick it; I had no clue that it was so popular, old, or for beginners. I've loved it ever since. I don't find the images creepy or ugly. I find it more positive and light and good. I just ordered a Radiant Waite. The pictures of it on the internet look so much nicer than the Universal.

Skydancer

I started with the Robin Wood. Then got a couple of books when we finally got internet out here in the boonies!! Branched out from there and it got a bit out of hand. :laugh:

Now, in the last year (after nearly 18 yrs. I think) I have a 1972 RW with the blue hatched backs (feels nice), the Universal, and I'm now in the process of trimmng my Radiant RW so as to have one with no titles and no numbers, and no PCS sigle on each card! I'm liking it!!

I prefer RWS clones mostly, but have others that are wonderful for exploring, and comparing. And some are for "entering." I'm now working with Gareth Knight's Magical Tarot - the Fourfold Mirror of the Universe. I'm using images in my mind from many tarot decks -- RWS, Pearls of Wisdom, a blend of renaissance decks. And Druidcraft. And some that just show up!

These days when I look at any tarot card I tend to see also the many renditions of that card from decks that I have or have seen online of that concept. I look at one card, but overlay the many images that also represent the idea. And then blend a story out of it all. ~hth

*S*

PAMUYA

First Tarot Deck

My first deck was the Guilded Tarot card deck. It is beautiful. I got that deck about 7 months ago. Six month ago I got a RWS deck for the Tarot reading class that I took, it was the deck they were teaching from. I love these cards, they are not as artistic as the Guilded deck, but the cards speek to me.