Baba Yaga Spread

nisaba

moveinwaves said:
3-S, wonder what the 3-S means..
You seek to know your own pain, to uncover its causes?

Ashtaroot

I like I'ma gonna try:)

nisaba

(With thanks to Umbrae)

Baba Yaga asks us three questions.

1) What are you running from?

2) What is it you seek?

3) What are you willing to risk?

It has come to my attention that this spread has evolved as I've been using it.

Now I tend to read it as

2) What are you running towards?
3) Why are you running at all?

And yes, it's very useful to me in this "new" form that I've used for a signiicant time.

Penthasilia

It has come to my attention that this spread has evolved as I've been using it.

Now I tend to read it as

2) What are you running towards?
3) Why are you running at all?

And yes, it's very useful to me in this "new" form that I've used for a signiicant time.

THIS! Definitely this makes so much more sense. Thanks for sharing.

Noni

Beautiful spread!:heart:
I'm going to try it for myself and offer it to others here :)

Thanks!

Hemera

Oh, excellent. Thank you, nisaba. I have often used the old version and this new one is sure to become a favourite, too. :)

Hedera

I like both versions, but the old version appeals a bit more!
Going to try them both out I think. :)

Minister_ΘU𐌋

Upset.

I'm upset for a number of reasons;
Firstly looking into Baba Yaga, I see it's Slavic root. Baba Yaga is a witch or shamanic woman, and from what I understand she is a neutral character, a quintessential zero. Her expression is neither good or bad, thusly her workings act as neither good nor bad, this suggest "Sacred Tongue" she is not there to toy with the querant, nor to play these cards out of Love, nor true language, it is an act of transcendent seeking.
It is not for this reason I have found myself in upheaval. Rather I am soured by the western adaptation of the word "Baba" which in recent history has been used to often refer to male or female Christian Yogi's.
Secondly, the three card spread is more often included with credit to a past member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. (Triquetra Spread) This order operates as a Guild, as opposed to the "Union" style format of BOTA. As Tarocchi Masters we often receive compensation for our reads, in this light we are the guilded hand, though many will also accept non-payment as an expression of kindness, or refuse compensation on principle.
(Edit) Beg pardon, I know now that this spread is four as it has a signifyer card. I hope rather that Baba Yaga's spread is seen for it's uniqueness. (/edit)

I hope that you see some depth into my upset. Further I hope that you can find well a foundation here in this forum to express original works, something self rendered. Thank you also for the introduction to the legendary Baba Yaga. That is what I stood to gain.

https://benebellwen.com/2013/02/28/...nation-deck-and-a-suggested-triquetra-spread/

minotaur

Nisaba gives thanks to Umbrae in the first post. I have adapted this three card spread to a five card spread using another idea of Umbrae's, the windows and doors two card spread. It loses the beauty of just three cards but it seems to add depth.

So the first two cards are Umbrae's windows and doors (at least how I remember it). The first card is what you see through the window, what you can get to. The second, crossing card is the door you must go through to get there.

I then follow with the three cards, what you are running towards...what you are running from...why are you running.

On the surface it might appear that what you see in the window and what you are running toward duplicate each other. In practice what you see usually turns out to be more specific and externally oriented and what you are running toward becomes more inwardly oriented, as are the last two cards, running from and why.

I also read it without a querant question. I ask them to say nothing and just read what I get. This has been very well received though you could certainly use it with a question.

I don't claim it as an improvement. It is just an alternative approach that has recently worked very well for me.

MandMaud

Glad to notice this! When practising, and (less) when reading for myself, I usually struggle to form a question so I'm always interested in spreads that work well without one. And Baba Yaga is one of the characters that fascinate me. And these small, subtle spreads are always good to find. Thanks, nisaba.