Greenie on eBay

Nevermore

I was surfing on ebay, interested in getting an older Thoth. I can't remember where but I heard that the older ones are stronger. I also rather like the green borders instead of the whitish grey and the lack of the white strip around the card backs.
I've trimmed my small and have a mini Thoth, by the way. When I first shuffled the mini it felt right and I think the same cardstock was used on the small, just on a larger scale so the small felt thinner. When I trimmed the small it seemed stronger. I have great trouble shuffling as I have small hands (even the Victorian Romantic can be hard). But I like the idea of owning someone's old deck and having a nice cup of tea and laying out cards on a table and just learning and studying patterns.

Anyway, on eBay, most older pre green box ones are going for a lot and are starting some crazy bidding, but I found one that no one seems to be bidding on, that's going for cheap, too. I talked to the seller who gave me the ISBN - "0-913866-15-6" and I did some searching on AT and is the deck with that ISBN is supposed to have a real greenish cast to it if I'm right.

I think this is a green box version. While I'd love to have a green border from a white box I think this deck has the problem of a real greenish cast...am I right?

Abrac

That ISBN matches my greenie in the white box. From the ones I have seen and from what I've read here, the print quality of the greenies isn't all that consistent. I wouldn't recommend buying one sight unseen unless you have the cash and don't mind taking a gamble. You might end up getting one you like but then again you may not.

Nevermore

The pictures don't look bad at all, unless you mean inconsistencies within a deck?

Emily

I also have a white box C greenie, some of those vintage decks on ebay don't look like green ones, the scans are far too clear. The green colour isn't just in the borders, its the whole card and some of the images are blurred.

The green hue does take a lot of getting used to - the Thoth deck normally is bright and crisp but the greens aren't, the green washes away all of the colour.

I had some scans up on here somewhere of the green Thoth, if I can find them I'll get them up and you can see. :)

Edited:-

I found some of the scans - my greenie is next to a standard Thoth, the scans still don't do it justice, they are greener in the hand. :)

Attachments

• Thoth_Prince.JPG
    Thoth_Prince.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Thoth_Sun.JPG
    Thoth_Sun.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 390

gregory

I like my greenie. But it is rather green. Not as green as I'd expected, though - it came from e-bay and the pix there looked like it had been painted with spinach. I was looking forward to that !

The quality isn't bad, and the backs ARE borderless....

PS ed. That amazon link is NOT the "greenie" deck in question - which should have a WHITE box. if it has a white box (ebay ?) I don't THINK that could be the right ISBN....

PS some more:

THIS e-bay item does look like a greenie; borderless backs and everything. and weirdly green cards..... but no original box at all.

Abrac

Nevermore said:
The pictures don't look bad at all, unless you mean inconsistencies within a deck?
Both from card to card and deck to deck. Here's a pic from my greenie. It does have a definite green cast but the colors and clarity are as good as you could hope for. I did alter it somewhat in Photoshop but only to the extent I needed to make it look like the actual card. To me the green cast gives it an otherworldly feel.

Greenie

Emily

Hi gregory,

Yes I think that is a greenie too - you can see it even in those small scans - the lack of a box is probably why people aren't bidding on it but someone might get a bargain even without the original box.

Edited to add

Hi Nevermore,
All older greenie Thoth's are in white boxes and you won't get them new but (I think?) not all white box Thoth's are greenies, there are different versions - it gets complicated LOL

Sulis

I remember when no-one wanted a green Thoth... Everyone around here seemed to think they were 'icky' and not nice at all.

Don't times change?