Tarot in the Land of Mystereum anyone?

Chiriku

That would certainly tug at Mr. Le Fanu's heartstrings! }) Just glancing casually at the cards on the cover of the box (the box was laying perpendicular to me), I could easily see the people of the Mystereum inhabiting the same universe as the people of the Navigators.... I prob won't have time to do a true comparison between the two decks until this weekend though.

Rodney

As many times as his rhapsodizings have enabled me on decks, it is fitting I should try to return the favor.

You describe perfectly what I struggled to find words for: that the figures and shapes could peaceably inhabit the same world. I look forwarding to reading your musings whenever you get the chance to post them...

Le Fanu

someone say Navigators?

Oh vile temptation.

*resisting*

Dashing out to dinner/ party. Will try and not feel the pull, will try to forget this thread. Mr Rodney and Chiriku, how naughty you are...

rwcarter

Comparison with Navigators

Definitely a different world, but I do think the characters inhabit the same universe. The peoples of the Mysterium definitely have sexes and they're predominantly of a color, unlike the sexless multi-colored people of the Mystic SEA.

Looking through the cards I see that not all of the Minors actually have people in them. Strangely enough the Charioteer is also the Knight Pentacles, Knight Cups, Page Wands and Knight Swords. The same character appears in the 4 and 6 Cups, and the character who appears in the Hanged Man also appears in the 4 Pentacles and Page Cups. There are other characters who appear in more than one card. Without looking too closely, when characters reappear, it looks like it's the exact same picture/drawing plopped into a different card. There may be subtle differences, but they're really subtle if they're there. I don't see anything mentioned about that in the companion book though.

The Mysterium cards are taller, wider and thicker than the Navigators cards.

The Mysterium is based on the Fool's journey. I think the backs are really pretty.

Rodney

Le Fanu

Ok.. My copy arrived today.

This is an odd deck. I have a soft spot for odd decks. The odder the better. I don't mean deliberately eccentric, I mean just - well - odd. Visually this deck is probably one of the most bizarre deck I have seen. But I like that. The composition, the arrangment of suit symbols, the figure drawing. I can't put my finger exactly one what it is that strikes me as bizarre.

However, the important thing is that I feel the deck has something. It is a deck I would like to use. It lacks the androgyny and psychedelic futurism of the Navigators of the Mystic Sea. They're not in the same league, but I like it nonetheless.

Oh but the book. I hate to say this (but at least I can be positive about the deck and I do mean it), but the book is the worst companion book I have ever come across. I have been reading it (trying to) this afternoon but I challenge anyone to read it from cover to cover. Really. I have an urge to hide the book somewhere "safe" so that I shalln't be tempted to keep reading it and have it taint the deck. Sorry to say this but this companion book would surely mean nothing to anyone outside Santa Fe meditation circles. I wonder who Schiffer thought the target public would be? I would say I know "something" about tarot but there's still loads I want to learn and this book would be utterly hopeless. I can't imagine what a beginner would make of this book. And all the wrong punctuation, weird grammar and *off* syntax makes it exhausting to read as you have to read so much of it twice or more. It is simply not well written hence very taxing to read.

From the Empress meaning;

I give you the golden glow as your [sic] bring your ideas to life. Crayons are a great way to begin using your new Imagination tool. Tell my son The Hanged Man, hello with love when you meet him. His heart grew from these trees when he followed it.

from Ace of Cups

I give you bright eyes to trust and flow through your ideas. Bright eyes and wide, ear to ear, grins. They prevent fresh things that rejuvenate things you already have. You may already know this.

Two of Cups.

Feel the differences between things joined and things in union. This is a Mystereum perspective... This feels muddy like an average. ( :bugeyed: ) Union feels to average them both and reduce the individual strength they bring. Union feels to settle and erode...

On and on it goes, 191 pages...And yet I feel like using the cards but the book is - sorry to say this - painfully pretentious.

Aerin

I wondered if the book comes across differently to people from different cultural backgrounds (I find it hard to read as well).

punchinella

Don't have the book, don't have the deck but just reading the above I am reminded of the "translate this page" button . . .

Le Fanu

Don't have the book, don't have the deck but just reading the above I am reminded of the "translate this page" button . . .
Yes it does have that Babel Fish air about it. Not something a beginner would want (nor a non-beginer with an urge to learn). It's rambling, mindbending stuff. This really should have been "deck only".

starlightexp

I just read through the book. I guess it would have come with a warning, or maybe I should have checked on here but wow.. I mean.. this is Bambi Meets Godzilla odd