Who here has/had the first edition Morgan Greer?

Teheuti

Willowfox - My box looks just like the one you showed except the edges are brown instead of blue. The back of my cards is different too - a paler sky blue and with a different star pattern. The LWB gives the same info as the box. I bought the deck soon after it first came out but I don't know if I got a first or second printing. If the sides of your box lid don't say MORGAN-GREER TAROT, then I bet you have an earlier printing since they would have added the words as a sales improvement.

Alan Ross

I no longer have my vintage Morgan Greer, but I still have the top lid of the box (I had to hunt for it a bit). The top of the lid is exactly the same as willow fox's. On both long sides, it says "Morgan-Greer Tarot." On the two short sides, it says "Tarot," flanked on either side of the word by a star.

ETA: "MORGAN-GREER" and "TAROT" are both all caps in a decorative font.

Alan

Teheuti

Alan Ross said:
I no longer have my vintage Morgan Greer, but I still have the top lid of the box (I had to hunt for it a bit). The top of the lid is exactly the same as willow fox's. On both long sides, it says "Morgan-Greer Tarot." On the two short sides, it says "Tarot," flanked on either side of the word by a star.

ETA: "MORGAN-GREER" and "TAROT" are both all caps in a decorative font.

Alan
Ah - so both the blue box and the brown one have the printing on the sides and bottom - so that doesn't help. I'm pretty sure I got my deck in '79, because I collected every new deck I could find and I was out of the country for most of 1980.

Here's another blue box picture:
http://www.angelfire.com/la2/tarotdeevah/tarot/mg.html

minrice

Thanks for posting the threads Alan!
I will keep an eye out for a real vintage one then! I had a feeling the purple boxed MG on ebay wasn't one of the originals. I will have to keep an eye out!

Teheuti, do your brown box cards have that black border around them or are they borderless? (In reference to the second thread Alan posted).

Teheuti

minrice said:
Teheuti, do your brown box cards have that black border around them or are they borderless? (In reference to the second thread Alan posted).
They are borderless. I've never seen a black border version, nor do I see any examples with a border on google images (search "Morgan-Greer Tarot").

minrice

I was reading in the second thread Alan posted that Sulis has an early copy of the MG with borders. It was stated by a member that the copy with borders was the 2nd edition, while the 1st edition was borderless. So I think that yours is the 1st edition.

Alan Ross

That would make the borderless blue box version I had a 3rd edition or later. Oh well, I'm glad I didn't lose a valuable 1st edition. I would guess that, for a collectible Morgan-Greer, the versions to look for would be the brown box and the 2nd edition blue box with black borders.

Alan