Who here has/had the first edition Morgan Greer?

gregory

Two part brown box with Chariot. Date on the back is 1979; price printed on the box is $7.95. Published by Morgan and Morgan, of Dobbs Ferry (love it !). No borders; pale blue stars - and Lillie and I did a HUGE study once, and we found there was indeed no consistent pattern, and even OUR two decks (same vintage) didn't match up !!! LWB is minimal and has the same info on. There is no ISBN of any kind even at all. I definitely bought it in London, UK, before 1982.

ETA and mine was NOT distributed through USG.

I cannot see a 1979 one on ebay anywhere. UNLESS it EVER had a blue box early on, in which case - no 260391326433 might indeed be. That one has a two part box and no hint of USG or a nasty border ! Though mine has no starts actually on the box - but the LWB and the box both show Morgan as publisher and no distributor.

330165875422 has no borders and no date..... The description of the LWB does NOT match mine, which is a normal one with staples....

ETA I asked the seller and he reports "Published by US Games, distributed by various retailers including myself at Solari UK."

gregory

Le Fanu said:
I checked mine as soon as I received it (having read about this lovely misprint!), but...no, definitely Page of Rods on mine...
Mine too - and I am pretty sure mine is a first printing.

gregory

No misprints of any kind, though the TITLE on the Tower is a bit lower than all the others.... and laid out differently - with the XVI on a separate line above The Tower. The number on IV Pents is also set low, centred in a Pentacle.

Yes - that's JUST like mine.

Except my box is a little less battered :angel:

tmgrl2

Mine says 1979 (Morgan and Morgan, Inc), all blue box, no borders, no price on back.

Page of Rods.

terri

gregory

Teheuti - do you have Pods ? Because I would swear mine was a first printing - and yours too, given when we bought them.... But not a pod of any kind....

coredil

This is probably not very usefull and all informations have been already be provided here but as I have some holidays here and as I love it to do sometimes things that are completely unnecessary I made some scans and I kind of classified the Star Patterns from the Cardback of my Blue Box Morgan Press copy of the Morgan Greer ;)
I hope nobody did this before.

There are 7 Patterns.
On the scan first row from left: pattern 1 to 4
second row from left: pattern 5 to 7
It is always one basic pattern (pattern 1) with some additional stars.

Each pattern appears on 12 cards except Pattern 4 which is on 6 cards only.
I added scans from the two pieces Blue Box too and the first page of the LWB (which is simply one folded single sheet of paper)

Pattern 1 (Basic Pattern) 12 cards
Magician, Hierophant, Death, Tower,
4 of Rods
Knight of Cups
3, 7, queen of Swords
4, 7, 9 of Pentacles

Pattern 2 (basic pattern + one star on the left) 12 cards
Empress, Lovers, Temperance, Sun
Page, Knight of Rods
2, 6 of Cups
1, knight of Swords
3, 5 of Pentacles

Pattern 3 (basic pattern + one Star in the middle left) 12 cards
Fool,Emperor, Justice,
1,3,7, 9 of Rods
3, 5 of Cups
9 of swords
10, Queen of Pentacles

Pattern 4 (basic pattern + one star in the middle right + 2 stars) 6 cards
World
10 of Cups
5, Page of Swords
2, 6 of Pentacles

Pattern 5 (basic pattern + one star on the right plus 2 stars) 12 cards
Wheel of fortune, Hanged Man, Judgment,
2, 10 of Rods
4, 6, King of Cups
6, 8 of Swords
1, 7 of Pentacles

Pattern 6 (basic pattern + 4 stars) 12 cards
High Priestess, Strenghth, Hermit, Star
8, Queen of Rods
1, 8, Page of Cups
2, 4 of Swords
Page of Pentacles

Pattern 7 (basic pattern + 5 Stars) 12 cards
Chariot, Devil,Moon
5, 6, King of Rods
9, Queen of Cups
10, King of Swords
Knight, King of Pentacles

I cant notice any differences between this copy and a newer US Games copy of the deck printed in Belgium (well I did not search too long) except that all the pictures have been slightly trimmed in the new edition.
The cardback on the newer edition is pattern 7 from the older one.

Best regards

Attachments

• MGCardBackPatternsAndLWB.jpg
    MGCardBackPatternsAndLWB.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 585
  • MGBox.jpg
    MGBox.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 465

gregory

WELL, coredil - Lillie and I did actually do that pattern sorting thing last time this came up - and our decks (same vintage) didn't even match each other.... I think they were even more random than that ! But I agree that later editions had one pattern throughout !

minrice

gregory said:
I cannot see a 1979 one on ebay anywhere. UNLESS it EVER had a blue box early on, in which case - no 260391326433 might indeed be. That one has a two part box and no hint of USG or a nasty border !
Thank you for this Gregory! You're always such a help ;)
I think this is an early vintage MG, but as it is in a blue box, no borders I don't think that it is a first or even a second printing. Possibly a third which probably makes it from the 80's. As it is a two part box and not from US games that makes it early, earlier than the flap box wouldn't you think?

gregory said:
330165875422 has no borders and no date..... The description of the LWB does NOT match mine, which is a normal one with staples....
ETA I asked the seller and he reports "Published by US Games, distributed by various retailers including myself at Solari UK."

As he has 19 of them available I'm willing to bet that they are not vintage at all and more recent printings.

Has it been decided that the second printing blue box deck (with the borders) is the one with the "Pods" misprint?