Who here has/had the first edition Morgan Greer?

Teheuti

minrice said:
I was reading in the second thread Alan posted that Sulis has an early copy of the MG with borders. It was stated by a member that the copy with borders was the 2nd edition, while the 1st edition was borderless. So I think that yours is the 1st edition.

I checked out that thread. Sulis has a picture of the black bordered Fool (it's real). And someone else mentioned this: "According to volume 3 of Kaplan's Encyclopedia, Morgan Press published a first edition of the deck with no borders, then a second edition of the deck with small black borders, and then removed the borders from subsequent printings."

At least one printing (the first?) had a misprinted "Page of Pods [Rods]." So, everyone check your cards.

Le Fanu

Teheuti said:
At least one printing (the first?) had a misprinted "Page of Pods [Rods]." So, everyone check your cards.

I checked mine as soon as I received it (having read about this lovely misprint!), but...no, definitely Page of Rods on mine...

willowfox

Teheuti said:

Wow! I have just checked my cards and have found a new knight, the Knight of pods. I never noticed the spelling mistake before.

The word PODS has a dense black mark between the P and the O from about the middle and up, while the P has the beginning of the R stroke but it seems to have broken off or something. There is also a small line of ink stretching from inside the letter P and going down to the left at a 45 degree angle. These cards were originally printed by letterpress, so whoever made the block messed it up badly.

Like I said before, my cards are just card stock with no lamination.

minrice

I think that typo is really funny. Something US Games obviously corrected for the later printings! So then the typo is in the second edition (but still early vintage printing) of the deck?

Alan Ross

The second edition is the one that is supposed to have the thin black borders. I haven't seen any mention of which editions/printings have the misprints.

Alan

Bernice

I know I mentioned it before, but I'm still wondering if the ISBN numbers might give us a clue to the editions?

Bee :)

Sulis

I have a Morgan Press edition in the same box as the one Willowfox showed. Mine has small black borders on the cards and a random number of stars on the backs of the cards (some cards have mores stars than others).

gregory

Bernice said:
I know I mentioned it before, but I'm still wondering if the ISBN numbers might give us a clue to the editions?

Bee :)
Mine is so old it doesn't have one, AFAIK.....

Aulruna

Mine is the same one as Bernice's. No idea when it was printed, as I seem to have lost the LWB for the moment...

Morwenna

The stars thing is on all the decks, I think. Mine came in a standard one-piece box with the Chariot on it, the card backs being a darker blue (back in the day I did see people having the light blue version) though a bit faded now from use. And no borders. I bought it in the '80s so it's neither really new nor old. The box disintegrated a long time ago but I still have the shards; I'll have to go hunt them up to see what publisher it shows. I remember the back of the box looking very much like that brown one, but mine was blue.