6 of Cups as a Career?

dc_newb9

This will be all over the place and probably a bit tl;dr. I'm giving away quite a few insecurities of mine, but I think they'll help you help me.

I'm in a challenging position in my life right now. I have absolutely no idea what career path to take, and I feel as if I'm building a dead-end around me by not just choosing a field, finishing school, and going on with it. Actually, part of the reason I started learning tarot was to figure out my possible career path.

Every time I do a spread on my future hypothetical career, I first (always pull this first in a spread, too) get the 6 of Cups.

I use the Thoth deck, which names Sun in Scorpio as 'Pleasure' which I could interpret as a "do what you like most" kind of thing, but I'm aware that the usual imagery is of someone giving a cup to someone else.

This baffles me, because the obvious interpretation is to "give" or be in a service/social service field...and it annoys me because I have no interest in "helping". OMG I sound terrible, I know, but I'm not good with people and doing anything noble in the US means you're going to be broke for the rest of your life.

So then I think, ok--the past. Either it's telling me to be a historian (no!) or it's telling me that I need to touch base with an interest from my childhood to get some clarity? Get over some part of my childhood? I don't know.

As a kid, literally the only thing I did was draw (and I did alright for a kid). It kept me occupied in what was otherwise a rough/uninteresting life. I stopped though when I got to my teens because of depression (and started writing instead...which I stopped after my teens because of another depression), and now I just don't have the same "eye" for art, and I've lost my hand-eye coordination entirely. I haven't remotely considered it as something to "do" with my life, and I still don't really want to.

I've always been a popular science nerd, and consume pop sci books like candy. So I think, alright, go into science! But I suck at math. I've sucked at math since I was about 11, and it's been a slow haul since then. I'd love to be one of those people who has like a genius persona trapped in their minds that only needs some inspiration or whatever, but that's not me.

I'd consider myself a fairly practical person, and I feel as if I'm under the gun to really get something going.

Other surrounding cards from today's pull:

Art (Temperance, but the name Art made me think about...art)
Ace of Swords
6 of Swords ('Science'...lol)

Tidbit: I always pull Temperance and the Ace of Swords together, and do not know what that means.

Help!

Signed,
Thoroughly confused

BrightEye

If you use the Thoth, then I stick with its imagery and keyword. Do what gives you pleasure.

berrieh

Working with children.

dc_newb9

Hmm...I guess I have to find something I actually enjoy doing, huh? Ideally I'd find a craft or something I enjoy and just build on it, but I'm under alot of (outside and inside) pressure not only to "just pick something" but to make decent money as well.

Alta

I love that image:
The ace of swords with Art on one side and science on the other.

How about developing your art skills to the level where you illustrate for science books and articles?

reine de saba

On that last note there's another aspect to the same idea: restauration work and chemical analysis of works: pigment, binding, supports...how they react to eachother and various conditions of time and fortune...

fascinating stuff

-saba

dc_newb9

That's a really awesome idea, Alta! Thanks. (An aside: I was just saying to myself the other day how much I love when math-heavy pop sci books have illustrations in them)

Edit: Saba that sounds really cool too. How would someone get into that? I'm thinking chemistry/art history, but maybe there's a more specific path for that field.

BrightEye

Alta said:
I love that image:
The ace of swords with Art on one side and science on the other.

How about developing your art skills to the level where you illustrate for science books and articles?
I liked this, too.

Cass Snoopy

I am new to Tarots, wobberling myself, so just my 2-cents worth of interpretation.

The first thing that came to my mind upon reading your 'story' is that the cards isn't indicating the kind of job to look for but to how to find out what u really wanto do.

And this is by looking back to your childhood time (6 of Cups) - what were your dream job then? Had it been tuck away somewhere at the back of your mind?

U must had been through tough times looking at your depressive episode. Something had happened. 'Ace of Sword' in my Tarot book said Honesty, home truth. Could it be something u had like but buried it away due the some happening/ situation? Need digging through the bad memories to find that 'jewel'.

'6 of Swords', I see it as by 'walking down memory lane' as of the previous 2 cards, u will recover, gain new perspective, a mental journey. My impression of this card is that it mean going on to better times.

So I think that by going through tis journey, u will know what u want to do.

willowfox

6 cups suggests doing something that you enjoy, something that is fun for you and from what you have written that appears to be something in the science line.
You made it clear that you no longer have an eye or inclination to do art anymore.
Temperance always makes me think of a chemist, physicist of some kind.
Ace of swords is a brain card.

So, perhaps you can find some branch of science that is not heavy on the maths, like some chemistry related profession.