Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

shamoness

Things are going very well with Pearls. I've been pulling a card every day and journaling about what I see. The cards are very busy but that does not distract. The cards also have Runes on many of them so there is the added study of the Runes. I am really loving this deck.

My 19 yo bought me a journal she had seen while out with her boyfriend. It is a lovely purple tie died with embroidered spirals overlapping each other on the front cover. It is just perfect for the feel of this deck. I am keeping track of my spreads as well as my daily draws in this journal.

I really didn't plan on this deck for an IDS but I am quite pleased with it thus far. I believe I was meant to use it now as I have been fighting with depression big time now. The deck is a good choice in that it doesn't "get me down" with it's colors, theme, or slant. I wonder what I will feel about it when I cycle up?

The deck is so right on. I pulled the Knight of cups and my son called to ask if I wanted company today. He wants to discuss his current situation with his former fiance`(they are still dating, it's very weird), as well as some plans for moving forward in his career. He is a massage therapist. I have seen him, of late, as the Knight of Cups.

Promise

I just got done posting my suit study of the Coins to my blog. I'm not sure if I can provide a direct link here, but it's in my profile if anyone is interested. I'm not quite sure if I'm done with it or not, but for now, it feels right. I have a feeling that the deeper I get into the deck, the more I'll be expanding on each individual suit study, once I get them started.

I've been experimenting a bit with my method for daily draws for the past few days, because I can't ever seem to pin down something that I can live with and actually benefit from. I've been drawing one card each morning and carrying it with me throughout the day and keeping note of the things that remind me of the card. For example, since I've been focusing on the Coins, I drew only from that suit, and came up with the Ace today. My niece is here and she was out in the backyard playing in the sprinkler, and while I sat and kept half an eye on her, I noticed that the terracotta pots we have herbs in have the exact same pattern as the one on the Ace of Coins.

For now, it works for me, and I'm having fun with it.

Now that I've got the Coins out of the way and can actually condense what I've discovered down into words, this whole process seems much more real. I feel like I've actually accomplished something, and I can't wait to dig in deeper!

thorhammer

Promise, that’s great! I am loving hearing all your stories about working with a TdM deck, as I want to work with mine one of these days . . . that’s if I ever “finish” my current IDS!!!

I haven’t had time to scratch my backside the last couple of days, so I really hope that over the weekend I get some time to sit with the last court cards of my deck (the Swords, and I’m really looking forward to them), and possibly get my teeth into the fourth level of the Tarot Tree.

I haven’t posted my Level Three spread yet, have I??? I’m so flustered – work has been ridiculously hectic, what with the financial year ending and all. Hopefully I’ll be able to breathe again afterwards. Anyway, I’ll post my new spread (very happy with it, I tried it out and it was AWESOME!!!) as soon as I can get my journal, a computer and some time, in the same room :D!

\m/ Kat

Skimo

Hello,

I hadn't thatmuch time the last days to follow the thread, but my archeon is trimmed, the corners are rounded and I have use Umbrae technique on it.

It shuffles like a dream and is ready for the beginning of the IDS the first.

I will have access to all my decks this weekend, it has been a long time...

Promise

Awww, I'm so sorry things are so hectic for you right now Kat! Hopefully things will settle down for you soon. You're in my thoughts ((:)heart:)))

If you have any interest at all in TdM, I really can't encourage it enough! Once you get past the non-scenic pips and older style of artwork, it really just opens up. Maybe it's just me, but I actually find it so much easier to get into a "zone" with this deck. There's not as much imagery to distract me, because Goodness only knows my attention span is rather minuscule, but still enough imagery for me to have numerous paths to take the card in.

Hehe, I'm such an enabler. Sorry guys!

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
I haven’t had time to scratch my backside the last couple of days, so I really hope that over the weekend I get some time to sit with the last court cards of my deck (the Swords, and I’m really looking forward to them), and possibly get my teeth into the fourth level of the Tarot Tree.
I haven’t posted my Level Three spread yet, have I??? I’m so flustered – work has been ridiculously hectic, what with the financial year ending and all. Hopefully I’ll be able to breathe again afterwards. Anyway, I’ll post my new spread (very happy with it, I tried it out and it was AWESOME!!!) as soon as I can get my journal, a computer and some time, in the same room :D!
\m/ Kat
Hey Kat,
I've enjoyed watching your progress through the IDS - how you've gone from having real difficulty with it 3 months ago, to now, where the only thing keeping you from working with the WoC is your lack of time! :)

In some ways I'm think that my choice of the BBC is strange - after all, it's a straight-forward RWS-clone, and isn't the point of an IDS to learn a new system (like WoC) - but when I throw a spread of more than 3 cards, I realize that I'm not yet capable of reading with this deck, and so it goes. I do need to work with this deck even though it's a simple one - and as of today, I have no idea how best to go about this study. That being said, I trust that I'll get that figured out soon enough. :)
Skimo said:
Hello,

I hadn't thatmuch time the last days to follow the thread, but my archeon is trimmed, the corners are rounded and I have use Umbrae technique on it.

It shuffles like a dream and is ready for the beginning of the IDS the first.

I will have access to all my decks this weekend, it has been a long time...
Hey Skimo,
I'm doing the same thing with my Druid Animal/Plant oracles - I'm Umbrae-ing them first, and last night started trimming them.

I have a bit of a dilemma, though. I'm trimming them to the edge of the border, and now I'm thinking that they might be better-looking without the border. However, I'd have a very hard time IDing the Plant oracle, because it's not familiar, and I'm not used to recognizing the plants.

Perhaps I'll cut the borders on 3 sides, leaving the bottom Celtic knotwork with the titles? That being said, I really like the sweet little borders! I just think that when the cards are trimmed of the white, they detract from the colors in the pictures. Also, there is a silver outline on the backs of the cards that is only partially cut off if you leave the whole borders - so the backs look a bit wonky (and you can really see where my trimming has been imperfect).

It's a quandary. Also, the image part of the Plant oracle is larger than the images in the Animal Oracle, so one needs to trim them slightly differently, cutting off the border at the bottom a wee bit more.

quiet0ne

so far so good here! i started a little blog to keep track of this, because my ipod is severely lacking in a comfortable keyboard. i have the blog linked in my profile if anyone's interested; it's nothing fancy, just a place to keep my thoughts.

i'm doing my first "stranger" reading today, too! very stoked about that. he's not really a "stranger," but a coworker, but i don't know him too well. he really clicked with my Osho Zen deck, so we'll be using that. might post the results here or in my blog, or both.

looking forward to your new spread, kat! i always love adding to my collection.

furiana

Greetings and a pledge

I wonder if publishers will ever print their decks with trimmers in mind? Then the final sizes would always be the same! :D

Anyways. Hello, everyone! Another Druidcraft IDS-er, here. My pledge will be a bit unusual, because learning to read tarot isn't my goal; I want an attitude change and a deeper understanding of life.

My Pledge
1. I will only use the Druidcraft deck.

2. I will not do readings for myself.
3. I will not allow tarot books or websites of any kind.

4. I will do the minors before the majors, in keeping with Druidic philosophy.
5. I will draw a card daily.
6. I will imagine being open to that card's energy, and enjoying it.
7. I will then put it in a separate pile, to avoid repeats.
8. I will meditate afterwards, to absorb the ideas and to let go.

Effective 26 June - 22 September 2008​

Cat*

I added you to the list, furiana. Your project sounds quite interesting. May I ask why you pledged not to read for yourself?

I also started a blog for my IDS a few days ago. So far it doesn't contain much besides a cell phone picture of each daily draw, without commentary (so far, I've simply been too lazy to type up my chaotic scribbles from my notebook/journal/whateveryouwannacallit). I still put the link into my profile, so if anyone wants to look at the pictures (and catch a glimpse of my reading spaces), you're welcome to visit.

The last two days, I've been thinking about numbers, trying to get a basic feel for each of them (1-10). After some brainstorming and scribbling down random notes, I tried to find the common element of all the Aces, all 2s, all 3s, etc. in the RWS system (on which the Housewives seems mostly based). Some were really easy, some I still struggle with. I plan to actually look at the images of each number next to each other as my notes were taken mostly on a bus, so there hasn't been room to lay out any cards (the LWB has little images, however, so I used these as a reminder). I also haven't thought about minors and majors together, yet, but that'll be one of my next steps.

I plan to look at the courts in a bit more depth, too. I keep getting two of the queens in my readings and really would like to understand who they are in contrast/relation to the other courts.

afrosaxon

Doing better...

Yesterday I started a new suit in the DOM (the Flames suit, which is equivalent to wands). I like this suit a lot better! :D

I've also done more readings for others with the DOM, in addition to my daily draws. That has helped too.

The daily draws, sometimes, are quite literal :laugh: Other times, I have to ponder them. Then again, that happens with every deck I own.

Welcome to all of the new IDSers!

Everyone, keep on plugging (and trimming, if need be :D).

T.