Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Llynn

Tarot Tree

I have been thinking about the Tarot Tree
thorhammer said:
Okay, here’s a rundown of the Tarot Tree, from Alexandra Genetti’s companion book to the Wheel of Change Tarot. I think (from my admittedly now rather skewed perspective ) that you could work with this layout with any deck. I look forward to hearing about others’ thoughts.

It’s laid out like . . . a tree! I’m going to place the cards using their traditional RWS numbers (Strength as VIII, Justice as XI) using Roman numerals to avoid it looking like a “spread”.

………….………………………………I………………………………………….....

…………………………………….VI…..XIV……………………………………...

.…………………………….XVII…XXI……XVIII………………………………..

………………………..XIX……..IV……XII…….XV…………………………..

……………………XX……VIII…….III……...II….XIII……………………….

………………..XI……IX………VII…….X……..V……XVI…………………..

……………..……………………………0…………………………………………....

As one follows the levels downwards, a progression of increasing applicability to everyday life becomes apparent. Where the upper cards are more archetypal (as we traditionally see the Majors), the lower cards are more obviously effective in teaching us about our everyday life.

I originally laid out my trimmed DruidCraft cards as shown in your post . It was intriguing, but just looking at the images without their numbers I felt that I had to rearrange them for the following brief reasons.

………….………………………………XXI…………………………………………..

…………………………………….VI…...XIV……………………………………...

.…………………………….XVII…..III…….XIII………………………………..

………………………..XIX…….IV…….XII…….XV…………………………..

……………………XX……VIII……..X……..II…...XVIII…………………….

……………….XI……IX……….I……....V…….VII……..XVI……………...

……………..……………………………0…………………………………………....

In the DC the World (XXI) is an androgyne, complete in her/him-self, and could represent unity.
The Maiden, Mother, Crone aspect of the Goddess is shown by the Star Maiden, the Lady (III), and Death (XIII).
I placed the Wheel (X) in the middle of the fifth row because she is drawing her own boundaries in life, deciding what is included and what is excluded in her sacred space. The Moon (XVIII) is at the end of the row because as we travel our own path towards the end it is essentially a lonely, scary route we have to take on our own through the ‘Gateway of Fear that leads to Rebirth’.
That left the Magician (I) as a person who takes control of their own life and follows their own path (IX) to become a balanced person (XI). The alternative is a person who receives instruction from outside, the High Priest (V), and pursues a path that may not be truly their own in this life (VII), and which may end disaster (XVI), or so it seems.

Thank you Kat for sharing the WoC’s arrangement of the Majors. It gave, and is giving me, food for thought in my unofficial IDS. It will be interesting to try out the WoC order for other decks when I’m allowed to do so :).

~~Lynn

thorhammer

Alamaris ~ :heart: I hope you are going okay. I worry that the Thoth is getting you down . . . don't let that happen! If it's not good for you where you're at in your own head right now, then you shouldn't use it! But if it's helping you, then go hard, sister :)

furiana ~ Yeah, the Inner Child cards a Tarot deck. I had them for a while, but the sheer size of the cards turned me off it, plus it was very heavily laminated and I found them impossible to shuffle. But the colours are enchanting, and I really do want a fairytale deck one day!

Llynn ~ so glad that the Tree helps you to think about the majors in your deck! You seem to have gotten a good handle on the way you want to organise them yourself, and how that makes sense to you, and that is, indeed, food for thought. :)

\m/ Kat

Disa

Ok so 2 accomplishments I have to report.

I finished doing all the majors in the Buckland Romani study group. I didn't study them extensively but I did look at them all and add to the existing threads or start new ones.

Also, I did 3 readings in the reading exchange forum.

These two things combined are more than I've actively done with one deck before, so this is progress for me. After so much introspection with Tarot of the Crone, it feels good to be moving outside of myself and my comfort zone.

I have face to face readings scheduled with my aunt and cousin next week. Not strangers by any means, but I know very little about things that are occuring in their lives atm. The following week I am supposed to be spending a weekend at my friend's so I can get additional practice there.

I think I'm finally on the way to becoming a "Real" reader! I should probably wait for the feedback though before I say that, huh? haha.

Keep on IDS'n everyone.

Owl Song

Well, I had my first deck lapse today. I was cleaning this morning and was organizing my bookshelf. When I got to my Tarot section, I pulled out my Fey deck and sat down and looked at all of the cards. I didn't read; I just looked at the art imagery. That wonderful fey on the box just drew me in. I haven't looked at this deck in a long time and it's an old favorite.

It wasn't boredom or frustration with my Fairytale but rather just a spontaneous moment. One of the things I do not want to do though during my IDS is look through other decks. Part of the point of it for me is the central focus on my Fairytale.

So my bookshelf may get dusty but I think I had better stay way from the Tarot deck area altogether.

Oh well...another benefit of the IDS...

Less cleaning.

Disa

Yep, no more cleaning for you! :)

SolSionnach

I just posted my thoughts on the BBC 7/Pents here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1538316#post1538316

I credit Faolainn Storm for the original exhaustive list of things to consider when studying a card. I've modified her list for my own needs. I'm also not completing all the items right now, so I can re-visit the cards again.

Sravana

Initial Impressions:
Card description, symbols and objects:
Symbols on this card suggest:
Emotions, feelings, and attitudes of the figures, and the mood and atmosphere of the environment:
Mental – thoughts and concepts:
Spirit – drive, enthusiasm, will power, creativity:
Emotional – emotions and feelings:
Physical – material/financial well being, health:
Soul – soul's journey, spiritual quest:
Business – work or career:
Relationship(s):
Beneficial – Strengths and resources:
Problematic – Problems or challenges to be overcome:
Passing Influence
The Situation
Hidden influence - what cannot be changed:
Advice; suggestion:
Foundation of the question, basis for asking:
Gift of the Universe - unlooked-for help:
Outcome:
The number, suit/element/mode is about:
Synthesizing number + suit + element + mode yields:
This card reminds me of the following:
Metaphors in this image include:
“Once upon a time…”
Dialoguing with the figure/objects on this card, I learn:
Imagining myself in this card, I learn:
Myths and archetypes related to this card include:
These suggest:
Embodying this card I learn:
Other thoughts I have about this card:

- original form from Faolainn Storm on ATF

SolSionnach

Alamaris said:
Trundling along with the Thoth. I'd call this first week or so a neutral one, because while I didn't have the urge to buy any new decks or switch to one I already had, I didn't do much reading and I didn't do ANY studying. And this is a deck that not only requires study...it demands it. I'm finding myself looking forward to October, when I plan to use the Halloween tarot for a month or two.

I've tentatively rethought my deck choice, but shoved those thoughts aside -- for better or for worse, I'm sticking it out with the Thoth. I'm having a horrible phase in my life at the moment for brain-fog and depression, but I'm keeping my worries at bay until late July, when I finally get to see the psychiatrist I've been referred to. I thought I'd never want to get back into that routine, after being shuttled from mental health facility to mental health facility for most of my adolescent years, but I'm actually looking forward to it. If she's open to things like that, I may suggest somehow working with the tarot therapeutically. Hey, its worth a shot!

If I don't manage to get any readings done for friends over the weekend or on Monday night, I think I'll offer up some readings for exchange or feedback in that subforum. I'm quite tired and out of it, but I feel like I could use the practice, and keeping my mind occupied would probably be a good thing.

Good luck, Alamaris - I think it can be a very good thing to check in with an MD from time to time, especially when folks have mental health issues.

Last time I was gung-ho to study the Ironwing, but it was not a good match for me, mental health-wise. It was way too intense, and I ended up ditching the whole IDS because of it.

You sound like you're quite mentally aware, and I'd just second Kat - if you find that the Thoth is getting you down, don't feel obligated to stick with it. Another deck might be more appropriate for you at this time. I'm using the Baroque Boho Cats, and it's just the thing for summer. I'm hoping to study Ironwing eventually, but for now it's kitties all the way (and I'm a dog person)!

Hugs!

SolSionnach

shamoness said:
Things are going very well with Pearls. I've been pulling a card every day and journaling about what I see. The cards are very busy but that does not distract. The cards also have Runes on many of them so there is the added study of the Runes. I am really loving this deck.
I really didn't plan on this deck for an IDS but I am quite pleased with it thus far. I believe I was meant to use it now as I have been fighting with depression big time now. The deck is a good choice in that it doesn't "get me down" with it's colors, theme, or slant. I wonder what I will feel about it when I cycle up?
Hi Shamoness, it sounds like the Pearls is a great deck for you! My BBC deck doesn't have any kind of secondary symbolism to it, but several decks that I'll be working with after this one (god willing and all that) do - from the Haindl with the I Ching and Runes AND hebrew letters, to the Ukiyoe with it's extensive flower symbolism in the pips. I'd love to hear more about the runes in the PoW.
Onyx said:
I'm having a blast on my IDS! It has been a very enriching period so far and I am encountering just the wonderful energy of reading and discovering how I am able to use the cards.
Abandoning the pressure of "getting it right" I am seeing that I am just listening and not over thinking it.
Allan
Hey Allan - there is something very freeing about letting go of outcomes, isn't there? It's great how you are having a blast - I can't say that I am, but I'm very happy to be doing this now.
Disa said:
Ok so 2 accomplishments I have to report.

I finished doing all the majors in the Buckland Romani study group. I didn't study them extensively but I did look at them all and add to the existing threads or start new ones.

Also, I did 3 readings in the reading exchange forum.

These two things combined are more than I've actively done with one deck before, so this is progress for me. After so much introspection with Tarot of the Crone, it feels good to be moving outside of myself and my comfort zone.

I have face to face readings scheduled with my aunt and cousin next week. Not strangers by any means, but I know very little about things that are occuring in their lives atm. The following week I am supposed to be spending a weekend at my friend's so I can get additional practice there.

I think I'm finally on the way to becoming a "Real" reader! I should probably wait for the feedback though before I say that, huh? haha.

Keep on IDS'n everyone.
Disa - you've been going great guns with that study group! I'm just now starting to revive the BBC study group, though I don't think I'll make it through all the cards before September - it's just too much for one person. Being a Virgo, I tend to go all out and in depth - though perhaps I can let go of some of this for 3 months...
Great on becoming a 'real' reader - I'd love to simply be able to read for myself.. :) :) :p

Disa

sravana said:
Disa - you've been going great guns with that study group! I'm just now starting to revive the BBC study group, though I don't think I'll make it through all the cards before September - it's just too much for one person. Being a Virgo, I tend to go all out and in depth - though perhaps I can let go of some of this for 3 months...
Great on becoming a 'real' reader - I'd love to simply be able to read for myself.. :) :) :p

Well, my goodness sravana, if I did those indepth card thingies for each card(the one you posted a couple a posts back)it would take me 3 YEARS to get through a deck. I'm a speed reader plain and simple - I have just learned to accept it. No amount of stretching it out works for me.

In addition to that reading for oneself is not "simple" in fact, it may very well be harder than reading for others. Do what you can you virgo you. I'm married to a virgo so I know what you mean :)

Alamaris

furiana said:
Alamaris, I hope you adore your new psychiatrist! I know it's a month in the future, but hey. :)
Thanks! :D I'm pretty sure I will, she's reputed to be the best in her league around here.

thorhammer said:
Alamaris ~ :heart: I hope you are going okay. I worry that the Thoth is getting you down . . . don't let that happen! If it's not good for you where you're at in your own head right now, then you shouldn't use it! But if it's helping you, then go hard, sister :)

sravana said:
Last time I was gung-ho to study the Ironwing, but it was not a good match for me, mental health-wise. It was way too intense, and I ended up ditching the whole IDS because of it.

You sound like you're quite mentally aware, and I'd just second Kat - if you find that the Thoth is getting you down, don't feel obligated to stick with it. Another deck might be more appropriate for you at this time. I'm using the Baroque Boho Cats, and it's just the thing for summer. I'm hoping to study Ironwing eventually, but for now it's kitties all the way (and I'm a dog person)!

Hugs!

The suggestion is much appreciated...I'll be giving it some thought over the next day or two. I'm not sure I have another deck I really want to read with for a few months, or study intensively, but I'll give them a look over and see if something pops out at me. If not, I think I'll stick with the Thoth, even if its a tough match for me.

Thanks for the kind words! :heart:

ETA: I was thinking about it and something occurred to me -- its a very fine line between pushing your boundaries (challenging yourself) and overstepping your boundaries (challenging yourself too much). Something to think about for IDSers who aren't sure if their deck is right for them! Plus, I started wondering what my old counselor would say about me switching, and I figure she'd tell me to stick with a slightly more comfortable deck while I'm depressed and struggling in other areas of my life.