Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

furiana

Hah! Now I feel like such a failure of a Virgo, speeding through a card a day. :p

Disa

You feel like a failure? HAAAAAA I probably did 5 or 6 in one day. :p

rwcarter

sravana said:
Disa - you've been going great guns with that study group! I'm just now starting to revive the BBC study group, though I don't think I'll make it through all the cards before September - it's just too much for one person. Being a Virgo, I tend to go all out and in depth - though perhaps I can let go of some of this for 3 months...
sravana,

Don't count yourself short. afrosaxon and I both completed the study groups for our decks in less than 3 months. Mine only had 16 of the Majors done. I also posted on those, but posted on the missing 6 Majors and all of the Minors. afrosaxon did something similar.

Rodney

furiana

It's weird. The Ace of Cups is one of my favorite cards, but when I drew it today, I didn't want it. I did not want to open up to it.

Now, I can't imagine it! There's a glass pane in front of the image, you know? I can describe my ideas, but I don't feel them.

Meh. I'll draw for a while, then come back.

ETA: Well, I can imagine it now, but I can't articulate it. That's fine; I just won't post in the Daily Draw thread today, since that wasn't part of my pledge. Here's to tomorrow.

Promise

I just finished posting my Ace of Coins study to my blog. I think I'm going to work through the first part of this suit in sequential order, at least until I hit a blockage, then I may jump around. But for now, one card is leading into the next, and I'll work with that until...well, until it doesn't work anymore.

I was a bad kitty and ordered the Deviant Moon, but I'm determined to not let it throw me off track. There were a few times when I questioned whether or not a few readings with it would really set me all that far back, but that's passed now. Once it arrives, I'll check it for completeness and then put it away with the rest of my decks. I've made a commitment to the Jean Noblet, and I've already put way too much into it to stop now!

I hope everyone is doing well. Happy weekend!

ETA: I've just completed the Two of Coins as well. Not sure if it's truly completed, but I'll sleep on it and see what comes to me in the morning.

SolSionnach

Disa said:
Well, my goodness sravana, if I did those indepth card thingies for each card(the one you posted a couple a posts back)it would take me 3 YEARS to get through a deck. I'm a speed reader plain and simple - I have just learned to accept it. No amount of stretching it out works for me.

In addition to that reading for oneself is not "simple" in fact, it may very well be harder than reading for others. Do what you can you virgo you. I'm married to a virgo so I know what you mean :)
Ha! Just so you know, I had organized that list of ways to look at a card previously, and when I sat down with the 7/Pents, it actually only took me about 35-40 minutes to come up with what I did. I know that, because I set the timer for 45 minutes (I didn't want to sit here all day with it!), and I was done before it went off.
re: reading for oneself - yes, it's not simple, is it. Truth be told, I don't know that I want to read for others - most of my friends aren't into esoteric things. I'm doing this because it's the summer, and I have the time... and I'm interested! :)
furiana said:
Hah! Now I feel like such a failure of a Virgo, speeding through a card a day. :p
ETA: Holy cow, sravana, what an in-depth post!
LOL. I'm glad that got your attention - and btw, you are certainly NOT a failure as a Virgo! We'll see if I can even manage to do three of those a week. :)
I think I'll hit the deck hard this next week, because I imagine that I will poop out soon enough... :)
rwcarter said:
sravana,

Don't count yourself short. afrosaxon and I both completed the study groups for our decks in less than 3 months. Mine only had 16 of the Majors done. I also posted on those, but posted on the missing 6 Majors and all of the Minors. afrosaxon did something similar.

Rodney
Hi Rodney,
Yes, I saw what both you and afrosaxon did - what an accomplishment! I don't know that I will have the time - let's see, that's 90 days, so it's better than a card every 2 days. I really doubt that I will be able to finish this by the end of Sept, but we'll see. I'll give it a good try. :)

SolSionnach

Alamaris said:
ETA: I was thinking about it and something occurred to me -- its a very fine line between pushing your boundaries (challenging yourself) and overstepping your boundaries (challenging yourself too much). Something to think about for IDSers who aren't sure if their deck is right for them! Plus, I started wondering what my old counselor would say about me switching, and I figure she'd tell me to stick with a slightly more comfortable deck while I'm depressed and struggling in other areas of my life.

Alamaris, that's exactly what I was referring to. That's why I ditched the Ironwing last March... it was overstepping my boundaries for where I was in the spring.
I'm not saying that you should switch (or even consider switching!), but it is something to consider. I mean, the IDS *is* a stretch anyway - and in choosing such a light deck, I think I'm making it more likely that I'll actually stick it out for 3 months. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. :) :):p

Promise

Holy flippin' crap!

If I followed that prompt for every single card, my poor wittle ADHD brain would go into "Ooooo shiny!" mode and I'd never recover. In a way, I'm using each card as a sort of story-telling prompt. Back before I went to rehab, I was a published poet and short story author, but I left a lot of things behind when I got clean, and my writing is something I'm trying to get back. If anyone's dared to read my blog, it's pretty obvious that I'm not following much of a standard for each card.

Honestly, I don't expect to be done with my IDS in 3 months. I'm finding that it's taking me longer to do the individual card studies than I had anticipated, mostly because the non-scenic pips make my imagination wake up and I'm constantly finding new things to say! In 3 months, I at least want to have a firm grasp of the Court Cards (gasp!) and the Minors. Until I get it all completed and feel finished, I'll just keep working, even if I have to commit to another IDS with the same deck, like Rodney has.

I need some damn willpower! Does Wal-Mart sell it? Anyone know of an online source? Seriously, I'm in need! Being the lovely man that he is, my boyfriend ordered me a Greenwood from God-only-knows-where, and I may have to gnaw my fingers off to keep from using it once it gets here. Avoiding the DM is going to be hard enough, but the Greenwood? *sigh*

Maybe I'll have him hide it from me until I'm done...

No, then I'll just leave him and be totally screwed.

UGH!

ETA: Three of Coins posted. My brain is like Jello, but I'm on a roll! I'm going to try to get the Four at least started tonight.