Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

SolSionnach

Emily said:
I have the Dante tarot too - I bought it last week because the artwork looked very similar to the Liber T both being done by the same artist - I wanted to have a better look at it, I doubt whether I'll ever be able to read with it. The Dante seems to have changed just about everything and it is pretty interesting to look at - but the Liber T it ain't. lol

Well... I just put Liber T in my Amazon shopping cart. Heaven help me. lol
I haven't ordered it yet, perhaps I'll wait until Scion's book is available. I'm sure that will be after my current IDS is over lol.

Okay, onward to the BBC, and my card for today, which is... (shuffle, shuffle, shuffle) Oh god...

the 8 of swords. Therefore: onward to the eights! (cough, cough)

Note: I didn't ask for a card of the day, thank heavens. I asked for the next card to consider. Thank heavens! I don't need a day like that right now... :)

SolSionnach

Bloudwedd said:
OK, the honeymoon is obviously over for me and my deck :S

I cant really put my finger on it - because it is a really nice deck (LoS Pagan Tarot) all of a sudden I do not really feel comfortable working with it :-( Maybe it is becaue its unique approach of the deck. It is a very situational deck more than a symbolic one. Or maybe it is because it is a new deck and I have not had really much time to work with it as much as I would like this wee. Or, as I start to fear - I broke the flow by using another deck last week when helping a client ( I felt I had too since that deck is allready scanned, Pagan Tarot is not). All I know is that I am badly longing for my Gilded Tarot now and really do not know what way to go. Any suggestions... I am afraid mainly that this is just my lack of stamina showing. But ofc I am also deeply disappointed that a deck that I had so much high hope for turned out to be so useless in practice although it is a true good example of collector item...

Hey Bloudwedd,
I think that everyone comes up against this wall early on in the IDS. Folks who are on their second one can better advise you (since I'm on my first), but it seems that the honeymoon definitely wanes early on. I'd say put away that Gilded, and draw a card from the Pagan tarot to see what it has to say re: your feelings about it. And go from there! After all, 3 months really *isn't* a long time, Christmas will be here before you know it, and today's unhappy feeling will be less than a memory.

I think.. ;) ;)

hugs,

Sravana

rwcarter

Bloudwedd said:

Or, as I start to fear - I broke the flow by using another deck last week when helping a client ( I felt I had too since that deck is allready scanned, Pagan Tarot is not). All I know is that I am badly longing for my Gilded Tarot now and really do not know what way to go. Any suggestions... I am afraid mainly that this is just my lack of stamina showing.
Give it a couple of days. Maybe try a new deck interview spread with the deck as if it's the first time you're using it. Or maybe do a quick spread with it on the question of "What can I do to re-establish my working/learning relationship with you?" Or maybe instead of trying to study it you should just play with it for a couple of days. You said the deck is situational. How about randomly picking a card and then imagining how people in your life might handle the situation depicted in the card? And definitely get those cards scanned so that you can't use that as an excuse next time. ;)

If after a couple of days has passed and you've tried some things to reconnect with the deck and you still feel no connection to the deck, then by all means, find another deck to work with. Nobody here ever said you had to stick with a deck you're not connecting with.

Rodney

Owl Song

You know, I've had my eye on the Liber T for some time. I might just pick this one up and put it away and wait for Scion's book. I've wanted to do a Thoth study eventually.

This week was very busy with work and social events surrounding the 4th of July. I had less time to work with my Fairytale and I'm a bit disappointed in myself for only having completed summaries for 3 cards. But I am trying to be patient with myself.

I offered some readings in the exchange and am working on completing the last one today. I will probably take on 4 more next week. I'm trying to balance reading with study. I don't want to just spend my time reading for myself or merely studying the cards without using them to actually read.

I'm really appreciating the value of 1 to 2 card readings. The Fairytale is a rich, immersive deck. The tales provide so much fodder for interpretation. Although sometimes I feel overwhelmed, I am seeing already how my work with the stories and the deck are helping me manage readings better.

Even if I do not complete my summaries for each card in the 3 months, I am going to finish them. It's so helpful to have a bulleted summary to refer to, especially when doing readings in the exchange. It saves me the time of having to recount each tale.

I'm still facing a lot of challenges--the sheer complexity of some of the tales and their associations with Tarot. Sometimes the connections are mind bogglingly intricate. I find myself not knowing where and how to narrow my focus. This is a good thing but it can be difficult too in that there is just so much to consider. I realize, too, that I'm a very cerebral reader. Sometimes I read back my interpretations and I get lost in verbosity. I'd like to adapt a more streamlined and less fussy reading style. Although maybe that will just never be me. So basically I am learning how to get out of my own way and not to overthink the cards.

I have been reading through the thread and I cannot tell you how much it helps to have everyone here, posting their experiences, and sharing their support.

Kudos to all my fellow IDSers.

Owl Song

Bloudwedd, I agree that it's a good idea to give yourself a couple of more days. Try doing some very short readings with them. But if you cannot re-connect, I would not feel badly about selecting another deck. You could also try a day or two away from the deck. Don't read with anything else but just give yourself 24 to 48 hours free of Tarot to recoup your energies.

Either way, we're here behind you!! :D

afrosaxon

Bloudwedd said:

I cant really put my finger on it - because it is a really nice deck (LoS Pagan Tarot) all of a sudden I do not really feel comfortable working with it :-( All I know is that I am badly longing for my Gilded Tarot now and really do not know what way to go. Any suggestions... I am afraid mainly that this is just my lack of stamina showing. But ofc I am also deeply disappointed that a deck that I had so much high hope for turned out to be so useless in practice although it is a true good example of collector item...

sravana said:
Hey Bloudwedd,
I think that everyone comes up against this wall early on in the IDS. Folks who are on their second one can better advise you (since I'm on my first), but it seems that the honeymoon definitely wanes early on.

Hi Bloudwedd,

sravana is right. I was so ready to stray from my NOVT and work with other decks...not out of lack of bonding with the deck, but I was like an ADHD kid: "OOH...shiny!" :)laugh: someone on AT said that and it was so funny!).

The best advice I can give is to try and push through it. This thread is here to vent because most of us have been there. I'm there now, with the Daughters of the Moon...I must say that I continue to be a bit underwhelmed. :(

Hang in there!

T.

Disa

Bloudwedd said:

I cant really put my finger on it - because it is a really nice deck (LoS Pagan Tarot) all of a sudden I do not really feel comfortable working with it :-( Maybe it is becaue its unique approach of the deck. It is a very situational deck more than a symbolic one. Or maybe it is because it is a new deck and I have not had really much time to work with it as much as I would like this wee. Or, as I start to fear - I broke the flow by using another deck last week when helping a client ( I felt I had too since that deck is allready scanned, Pagan Tarot is not). All I know is that I am badly longing for my Gilded Tarot now and really do not know what way to go. Any suggestions... I am afraid mainly that this is just my lack of stamina showing. But ofc I am also deeply disappointed that a deck that I had so much high hope for turned out to be so useless in practice although it is a true good example of collector item...

I say, push on- it's a test! This happened to me several times witht he Tarot of the Crone and while I do love, love, love that deck, there were times when I questioned what on Earth I was doing. Sticking with the deck of choice is one of the main goals I had when doing the first IDS and I learned a lot by doing it. IF you can manage to push through this first test, you will be better equipped to handle the next one.

Change decks if you must, but I'm pretty sure you will come to some difficult choices no matter what deck you choose.

Good luck!

D

SolSionnach

Ahem.
I just ordered a Liber T (and I don't even LIKE that deck!) and a Bright Idea Deck from resellers at Amazon.

:le sigh:

Anyway, I did just post the 8 of Swords, and right now I'm going to write up the 8 of Pents. :) I'm keeping Sulis busy updating the BBC study group. :)

I'm amazed how much I really *like* this deck - no esotericism, no overt spirituality, just cats, cats, cats in TRES fancy clothes. And it's got me thinking - what other decks do I have that are just simply TAROT, without other fancy stuff interfering. Well, except for the fancy clothes. :) I'm guessing that the Fournier TdM is practically the only one... unless you count the Favole (rofl) and the Omaggio a Erte. :(

I'm thinking that I need fewer "spirituality" decks, and more just plain TAROTS. ;)

Oh wait! There's the Napo, the Balbi, and the Ukiyoe - and I'm going to amazon right now to order another Golden. That should do it nicely.

Oh... back to the cats...
:heart:

Emily

sravana said:
Ahem.
I just ordered a Liber T (and I don't even LIKE that deck!) Oh... back to the cats...:heart:

Just keep an open mind with the artwork, some of it looks strange but once you get to the heart of the deck, it seems to all fall into place. I'm into my 10th month with the Liber T and I'm still as fascinated with it as I was at the start of my study. :)

afrosaxon

Hmm...majors only with DOM

I'm coming to the finish line of the Flames [Wands] suit in the DOM (2 more cards to go!).

As I flip through the deck to get my card of the day, I'm really looking forward to working with the majors. They're intriguing.

Which makes me think that if I continue to read with this deck, I may just read with the majors only. The minors are a bit too busy for me, overall, and I'm not really connecting with them.

T.