Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Promise

I'll remind him of that next time!

thorhammer

Emily said:
I've been reading through the thread and I just wanted to post about not letting guilt rule your IDS - even if you go without touching your deck for a week its not a failure. Its better to leave your deck for a while then go back than to push yourself and start to feel like your study is a chore.
Thankyou, Emily, for your wise words :) You're so right - I lived with a bit of guilt in the early days when I had to put the deck aside for ages, but I knew deep within me that I had to take a break or it'd be the end of the whole thing! So I did. And it worked, obviously.

I currently seem to be on another break, though not from choice. Just life, getting in the way. :rolleyes:
Bloudwedd said:
And today we found out that she had actually ordered a brand new Bohemian Gothic Tarot deck to me! It will arrive Monday! And here I am doing IDS and really should not touch nor work with it til I finsihed this one. .... *sob, sob, CRYYYY!* This will call for some MAJOR self disiciplin from my part! :-D
(((((Anna))))) You'll be okay, sweetie! It isn't going to go anywhere - just make sure that your mum knows that you've got a good reason to put it aside and not use it just yet, but that you're really thrilled about having it nonetheless! Hang in there!

\m/ Kat

Star-Willow

Emily said:
I've been reading through the thread and I just wanted to post about not letting guilt rule your IDS - even if you go without touching your deck for a week its not a failure. Its better to leave your deck for a while then go back than to push yourself and start to feel like your study is a chore.
That's for sure! For me it's been a pick it up, put it down past couple of weeks but I've had other stuff happening too..... I did a reading via one of the reading exchanges here just this past week using my Thoth, and while I was nervous as hell about what kind of feedback I would receive (more to the point, had I read the cards right), it turned out fine :)

Just last night I took my Hanson Roberts out of my cupboard and it bought so much joy to my heart, it was like seeing an old friend after 4 months!!! So I'm leaving it out on my table now..... I'm still studying the Thoth and will be for a very long time to come but I don't at all feel guilty about bringing the HR out :) I just had a little thought too, that I might try and compare the two, not sure what I'll find or if I'll get anything from it..... just typing out loud....

Promise

Alrighty, I'm in the mood for some readings!

If anyone participating in the IDS (or just lurking the thread!) would like a reading, we can either do an actual exchange or I'll read for detailed feedback. I've decided that the only way I've ever going to really get a handle on this is to start using it!

Please bear in mind that I am a n00b when it comes to TdM. My readings will probably be mostly intuitive for now, or just whatever jumps out at me.

Anyone game?

Prism

Hi everyone and happy Saturday,

I've been plugging away at my three-carders and posting cards in the study group as they come up. But today I'm leaving for a week -- San Diego vacation! I'll bring my cards and I hope to keep on with the daily draws, but I think I'll be away from my computer.

I'm kind of itching to try reading for others with them (here on AT only! -- I'm definitely not brave enough for the rest of the world), even though I haven't made it through the deck yet, but I also feel like I need a little more time alone with them. Maybe I'll have a surge of confidence after I get back.

Have a good week.

Prism

Cat*

Promise said:
Alrighty, I'm in the mood for some readings!

If anyone participating in the IDS (or just lurking the thread!) would like a reading, we can either do an actual exchange or I'll read for detailed feedback. I've decided that the only way I've ever going to really get a handle on this is to start using it!

Please bear in mind that I am a n00b when it comes to TdM. My readings will probably be mostly intuitive for now, or just whatever jumps out at me.

Anyone game?
Yes! Me, me! I, I! I offer a reading with my Housewives for a reading with your Noblet. Feedback included. Whaddaya say? :D

SolSionnach

BBC 1st/2nd editions

I'm so glad that Promise traded with me - she sent me the first edition of the BBC and I sent her the Golden Egorov - and it's very interesting to see the changes Baba made in the cards. I'd say that 85% of the cards are changed, often just changing the perspective to bring the main figure more into the foreground. Many of the backgrounds are changed as well - some of the changes I don't like, but most of them I do. The colors are also much more vibrant, and the printing quality is much improved, as well. It's enough that I know that I don't want T of Prague, because whoever they used as the printer back then isn't nearly as good as the one they used for the BBC 2nd ed. I'm very surprised that I don't mind the borders nearly as much as I thought I would - but I'm thinking that in a spread they would be quite distracting. the BBC2 images are also much larger without the borders, making it easier to focus on the main figure.

I'm back from visiting my tarot-phobic parents (!), and will be doing some writing today, though I'm not sure which cards I'll be looking at. I haven't done any reading with the deck, mostly because I don't want to get overwhelmed by the imagery. This is one *busy* deck! I'm enjoying it, though... it's a very nice RWS-clone with no esoteric symbolism (waves at Kat), which I enjoy.

That being said, I still want to work with the Maat, the Haindl, the Ukiyoe, Shining Woman, and Ironwing. Oh - and Greenwood. lol I don't know how I'm going to hold out being patient enough to actually *learn* this deck before the urge to move on is overwhelming. Splitting my learning time between the BBC and Japanese (what the hell was I thinking - the language is not that hard, but the writing! Oh, the humanity!) slows down the tarot work, but perhaps is keeping me from burning out too fast.

I also am having some life issues - other things that are distracting me, decisions which need to be made. I think I'll take Promise up on that reading offer! :)

Promise

Cat*--do you have a specific question or would you just like a general reading? I can do either one, just let me know! If it's of a more personal nature than you'd like to share here on the vast public interwebs, shoot me a PM and we'll 'scuss it.

sravana--PM received dear; it'll be headed your way shortly!

Cat*

Promise -- I just PMed you. :)

Bloudwedd

Yesterday I cursed the fact that I was on a IDS since I will not be "allowed" to touch or work with the Bohemian Gothic tarot when it arrives for about a least 4 weeks if I am really lucky.

Today I bless the fact that I am on a IDS route. And I sincerely considering going on anotehr one with teh BG. Why? Well I was on a spread-hunt and went through my old tarotbooks. One of them was "the Hallowquest" . the semi companion book to Arthurian Tarot by J and C Matthews. I bought the book years ago but never fully managed to work through it. And due to some difficulties for a total noob and the fact that I fell in love with Legend - Arthurian Tarot (get a theme here anyone? ;-) ) I started to feel that this deck was obsolete for me to use. Wonderful deck, but it did not feel comfy using it. Now, paging through this book and saw the pictures I realisedI have due to all my tarot studies got a deeper understanding for cards that I never understand (that be the entire minor arcana). Problem is - I cant use the deck now since a student of mine is doing a sequensial meditation on the majors so it is always ONE major missing. And in come IDS to save the day! Hallelujah! Kind of off topic, but I felt I needed to share....