Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Hooked on TdM

Finished up all the courts yesterday. Yah!

I got two pips done today of the Coupe and did a daily draw. I'm just too wiped out to do more than that..

Hooked

Quantum James

I am about to start with IDS with my Liber-T - is it OK for me to join in the support thread at this point, or should I wait till the next cycle? (I seem to recall reading in the thread somewhere that jumping in at any point is OK - if not apologies for the post!)

In any event, here goes my pledge:

I will do IDS with the Liber-T but use my Thoth as study comparison where necessary.

I plan to work with Melancholic’s simple cross spread as my daily (using minors though).

I will pick a card a day from that spread and journal it in whatever way moves me - using Scions decan guide as aid in addition to doing any additional research as needed.

I will allow myself to play with my Universal Fantasy Tarot if I need a break from the Liber-T but for no more than a day.

I will allow myself to use my Total I-Ching by Stephen Karcher if there is a crisis of some sort and I need that additional support.

Thats it! I am excited to get going and I am about to start my first journal entry. If any of the Liber-T veterans have advice with regards to IDS with this deck - it would most certainly be welcome.

Thanks again to Scion for the fantastic Decan guide!
QJ

thorhammer

Hi, QJames! Of course you can jump in - that's totally fine. I'm glad to hear another raving about the Liber T, as it's my "intended", as it were :D. There are, as I'm sure you've discovered, heaps of other threads about that particular deck, and I think the study group has some real depth to it.

How do you go with Mel's cross spread? I began to read that thread, but was pressed for time and have been since then! It seemed to me to be anything but simple! Especially as that thread seems to have turned into something of a study group for the spread :bugeyed: Something I never would have thought of . . . studying a spread. Oh well, a new perspective jumps up every day, dunnit? :D

Welcome, anyway. We'll love having you, I'm sure.

\m/ Kat

Faolainn Storm

Well, a week into my new IDS and I'm feeling great. I think this is a far better choice for me. I'm following the course laid out in the companion book and feel really positive and settled about this. I just hope this feeling continues!

PolarBear, first, sorry I haven't responded sooner, I've been studying hard and not on the net. Second there are three seperate books:
"Hallowquest: Tarot Magic and the Arthurian Mysteries" isbn 0-85030-963-8
"The Arthurian Tarot Course: A Quest for All Seasons" isbn 1-85538-258-X
"Hallowquest: The Arthurian Tarot Course" isbn 0-7225-3448-5
However all three companion book have been out of print since the mid 90's so you'll have to look for them second-hand. If you can only get one I suggest the third one as it contains most of the information from the first two.

FS

Quantum James

Thanks Kat! I am loving Liber T and I am *so* relieved that it was kept in print - it really deserves to be up there with the Thoth. To my mind its a huge leap forward, not to mention beautifully illustrated.

Mel's simple cross is the bees knees too. It seems complicated when you first read through his treatment of it because he has been so thorough, but in practice its very elegant. It packs a punch though. It has an ingenious built in mechanism that generates element positions based on the 'heaven' card. Very cool. It can be a fast read, or more deep an nuanced if you spend some time with it.

Here is the link to that spread if anyone is interested: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95259

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to getting into this deck,
QJ

SolSionnach

Quantum James said:
I am about to start with IDS with my Liber-T - is it OK for me to join in the support thread at this point, or should I wait till the next cycle? (I seem to recall reading in the thread somewhere that jumping in at any point is OK - if not apologies for the post!)
Jump right in, QJames, and welcome!
Quantum James said:
In any event, here goes my pledge:

I will do IDS with the Liber-T but use my Thoth as study comparison where necessary.

I plan to work with Melancholic’s simple cross spread as my daily (using minors though).

I will pick a card a day from that spread and journal it in whatever way moves me - using Scions decan guide as aid in addition to doing any additional research as needed.

I will allow myself to play with my Universal Fantasy Tarot if I need a break from the Liber-T but for no more than a day.

I will allow myself to use my Total I-Ching by Stephen Karcher if there is a crisis of some sort and I need that additional support.

Thats it! I am excited to get going and I am about to start my first journal entry. If any of the Liber-T veterans have advice with regards to IDS with this deck - it would most certainly be welcome.

Thanks again to Scion for the fantastic Decan guide!
QJ
I think you've done a good job in coming up with an IDS pledge that's more likely to succeed, by putting in some 'pressure releases' with other decks and divination systems. I'm doing a TdM IDS, rather than a *Hadar* TdM IDS, because I know that if I can look at other TdMs, I'm less likely to freak out and really cheat. Oh, I did look through my Minchiate Etruria yesterday, but that doesn't count! ;)
thorhammer said:
Hi, QJames! Of course you can jump in - that's totally fine. I'm glad to hear another raving about the Liber T, as it's my "intended", as it were :D. There are, as I'm sure you've discovered, heaps of other threads about that particular deck, and I think the study group has some real depth to it.

How do you go with Mel's cross spread? I began to read that thread, but was pressed for time and have been since then! It seemed to me to be anything but simple! Especially as that thread seems to have turned into something of a study group for the spread :bugeyed: Something I never would have thought of . . . studying a spread. Oh well, a new perspective jumps up every day, dunnit? :D
Hey Kat - the Tirage en Croix thread is not that Astrological spread of Mel's - I think that's where you might be confused (if you're not, forgive me ;)). The Tirage en Croix only uses the Majors, per Mel. However, he has some really *interesting* takes on the elemental attribs of the trumps! :)
thorhammer said:
Welcome, anyway. We'll love having you, I'm sure.

\m/ Kat
What she said. :)
Faolainn Storm said:
Well, a week into my new IDS and I'm feeling great. I think this is a far better choice for me. I'm following the course laid out in the companion book and feel really positive and settled about this. I just hope this feeling continues!
Yay, I'm glad that the change is working for you! :) :)

I just found a rad TdM thread last night: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=69304&page=1&pp=10
I cut and pasted like mad into my computer journal, and printed up what I came up with. I've got quite a handful of TdM pages that I've printed out.. and I cannot emphasize enough how great a resource this forum is. If you just consider how many folks have been turned on to Liber T by Scion's .pdf and ranting (!) - oh, not to mention Emily, but I just did :) - but if you browse the archives in the TdM and Historical forums, you will be AMAZED by all the info that's right here! It's much deeper than any book could possibly be, even if it's a treasure hunt to find what you need.

Right now I'm very happy with Mel's Astrological spread, but I need to develop my own system of working with the pips for my usual 5-card spread: past, present, hidden influence, advice, outcome - which is more of a psychological take on the cards, and not as cut and dried as the astrological spread.
Right now I'm looking at the following elemental attribs:
Batons = earth
Coupes = air
Swords = fire
Coins = water
:bugeyed: That's completely bass-ackwards from the usual fire/water/air/earth GD system, but I'm almost (read: ALMOST) convinced by it.

More later? Perhaps!

SolSionnach

Quantum James said:
Mel's simple cross is the bees knees too. It seems complicated when you first read through his treatment of it because he has been so thorough, but in practice its very elegant. It packs a punch though. It has an ingenious built in mechanism that generates element positions based on the 'heaven' card. Very cool. It can be a fast read, or more deep an nuanced if you spend some time with it.

Here is the link to that spread if anyone is interested: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=95259

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to getting into this deck,
QJ
I've been meaning to get back to studying this spread, and I'm so glad that you mentioned it here. I was hung up a while back, deciding on my own elemental attributions for the majors - I wasn't satisfied with what I came up with, and then I had company and lost my train of thought. I think I'll get back to that exercise today and report back later. :) :)

Emily

I'm back :) - three guesses which deck I'm going to be using in my next IDS - the Liber T lol. Ohh well - I think I'm a lost cause.

I haven't been able to find a deck that stands up to the Liber T - I can read with other decks quite easily but they just don't seem to have the depth that the Liber T has and they don't make intuitive reading easy.

The themed decks don't work for me at all, they seem to be too narrow in the interpretation or I see the same things each time I look at a card and it gets repetitive and I still don't want to go back to the RWS symbolism - well not for a deck I want to study. The Liber T artwork is very fluid and works with you. I guess I wasn't ready to move on.

All I have to do now, is to work out some kind of study programme again or decide how I'm going to do it this time round. :)

Edited to add:-

Just been looking at the above spread and it looks very interesting. :)

Scion

Well...

I was gonna see if you feel like poking around in some traditional astrology, but I know that's not really how you work with the deck.

What about Egyptian mythology? A lot of its use in the deck is through a Crowley filter, but there are beautiful stories and images that might enrich some of the cards for you. If that sounds interesting, I can think of a couple books that aren't a slog.

Emily

Egyptian mythology sounds great. One of my favourite cards is the Moon card but you can see the Egyptian influence in many of the cards.

I'd definitely be interested in the books you could recommend. :)