Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Onyx

Hooked on TdM said:
Welcome Onyx! Another TdM'er! We are getting to be quite the bunch here.

I'm sure there is someone else using one in the IDS, but for the life of me I can not remember who!

Sravana: Yeah I followed your lead and compared the Classical Tarot with the 1JJ Swiss. Your right they are many many similarities! Isn't there another Italian historical deck that has Juno and Jupiter? I know it's not the Ancient Italian although that is similar to both of these too. I do love that Classical one. It's just too gorgeous for words! :)

I want to thank you for the warm welcome. I thought about doing an IDS back last spring with the TdM, but chickened out, Then again this summer but knew I would be too scattered. Now with The Process firmly playing on my mp3 player, my car and my computer I am ready.

Sranana, have ordered a 1JJ Swiss (which I understand the distinction between the historical TdM, but I might just try it 'cause the cards are great looking) and also the Fournier (I think? -- I know it was published in Spain and I suspect from coloring of this deck I have seen in scans that it seems unmistakable and point me to this assumption.) So it will be one or the other. I used a 1JJ very briefly early on and decided I wanted illustrated pips and passed it on to a friends. Each of the decks look great and colorful but each also seems to carry its on sense of style. I am leaning toward the Fournier as it is more standard TdM and I want to start with a firmer grasp on the standard before moving to the variant.

I expect that it will take just a few days of using the decks and getting a feel for them and then deciding by Friday. They are being shipped priority mail and should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. If only one has arrived by Friday then I will take that as a sign and use it. If neither has arrived by Friday then which ever arrives first.

I have started to go throught the TdM thread and it is so extensive that it is a bit mind blowing. Yet as I read the posts I am more and more certain that this is where I want to be right now.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Onyx.

Nina*

Will be interesting to hear what you decide on, Onyx. TdM's can be as ''dangerous'' as other decks... suddenly you want them all. :D

Anyway, I'm still sticking to the Robin Wood here. I should probably start doing some readings for others than myself, but...

Onyx

Nina* said:
Will be interesting to hear what you decide on, Onyx. TdM's can be as ''dangerous'' as other decks... suddenly you want them all. :D

Oh I know! I have been looking around and my initial thoughts that one unillustrated pips deck would esentially be like all the others, right?

Ummm . . . wrong! I think that there are some that are gorgeous, interesting and responsive, just from the scans!

Now add into it the desire to get a deck that is as historically correct and as close to the original then that is a whole other realm of desire. And not one that has energized my passion for RWS clones over the last couple of years. That is why I am going to be really stern with myself to keep my pledge to no new decks.

Onyx.

Keavy McGee

Equinox / Change of Seasons / Change of Decks

Hello, fellow IDSers!! I am checking in on my very happy and successful IDS with Vanessa over the Summer and now I'm going to give that cheeky gal a rest and begin with a new deck for Autumn.

Still choosing.

Right now, it's between the Golden, the Grail, the Secret Forest, and the Sharman-Caselli. :D No easy choice, then!! :laugh:

I'm happy to report that during my three months with Vanessa, I started a blog, an AT Study Group which kicked off this weekend with a highly entertaining Launch Party, and experimented with Friday night readings here on AT. I enjoyed it all thoroughly and learned a lot.

I've even educated and encouraged a few friends to try the IDS, so perhaps they will show up here as well. :)

My new IDS commitment for this season will include me continuing to facilitate and post to the Vanessa Study Group for a time, but I will read exclusively with the new deck and of course, my Froud's Faeries.

I just want to close by saying what an inspiration and what incredible teachers you all are to me. Congrats to Thorhammer for completing her IDS and if I've missed anyone else who deserves congrats, I do apologize and send best wishes anyway...sometimes when I've been away a long time I find it hard to get all caught up and just read the most recent posts, which of course means I miss a lot, so kudos to all you great finishers out there, you rock!!!

And to all you new starters, Hail and Well Met, I trust your journeys with your IDS decks will be fruity and fruitful!!

Party On!!

Keavy:heart:

SolSionnach

Hooked on TdM said:
Sravana: Yeah I followed your lead and compared the Classical Tarot with the 1JJ Swiss. Your right they are many many similarities! Isn't there another Italian historical deck that has Juno and Jupiter?
Umm, you got me there. I'm not sure about that... I knew you'd find those similarities interesting. Now, I'm wondering... does the Vieville do something similar with those trumps you mentioned (Sun, Moon, etc)? Oh, nevermind. I'm recalling them now, and they're very different from both the standard TdM and the Italian Soprafino type.
Hooked on TdM said:
I know it's not the Ancient Italian although that is similar to both of these too. I do love that Classical one. It's just too gorgeous for words! :)
It is a beaut, isn't it? (come to think of it, I may have another deck for you... PM me!)
Hooked on TdM said:
I did managed to get four card by card studies done this evening and a few draws. I'm almost done the suit of Epee! A few more days and I should be finished it. I think I'm going to work on a few comparisons with the Classical also. A bit of structure work and whola I will be done! It's sure taking me a lot longer than I expected!
Woohoo!
Hooked on TdM said:
Hooked

ETA: Migraine finally went away! Sravana your magic wand worked! ;)
Hey, ya never know what an acupuncturist can do long-distance! ;) ;) ;)
Onyx said:
I want to thank you for the warm welcome. I thought about doing an IDS back last spring with the TdM, but chickened out, Then again this summer but knew I would be too scattered. Now with The Process firmly playing on my mp3 player, my car and my computer I am ready.

Sranana, have ordered a 1JJ Swiss (which I understand the distinction between the historical TdM, but I might just try it 'cause the cards are great looking) and also the Fournier (I think? -- I know it was published in Spain and I suspect from coloring of this deck I have seen in scans that it seems unmistakable and point me to this assumption.) So it will be one or the other. I used a 1JJ very briefly early on and decided I wanted illustrated pips and passed it on to a friends. Each of the decks look great and colorful but each also seems to carry its on sense of style. I am leaning toward the Fournier as it is more standard TdM and I want to start with a firmer grasp on the standard before moving to the variant.
I have both of those decks (see below for why!) and I think they are great ones to use re: IDS. My only problem with the Fournier is that the pip's background colors don't really jive with the Classical elemental correspondences that Mel talks about: epees = fire, coupes = air, deniers = water, batons = earth. They are even different than the more common Golden Dawn (RWS/Thoth) correspondences - for instance, the background of the Coupes is red, which seems like fire to me - and the swords is blue, which I suppose could be water or air...
The 1JJ Swiss is really lovely, and is obviously a variant. I'm sure you can have fruitful discussions with Hooked, as she's been IDSing with that deck for quite a while now. :)
Onyx said:
I expect that it will take just a few days of using the decks and getting a feel for them and then deciding by Friday. They are being shipped priority mail and should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. If only one has arrived by Friday then I will take that as a sign and use it. If neither has arrived by Friday then which ever arrives first.

I have started to go throught the TdM thread and it is so extensive that it is a bit mind blowing. Yet as I read the posts I am more and more certain that this is where I want to be right now.
Yes, that thread can be really intense - there is lots and *lots* of info there, and for me much of it was completely new. There is an interesting thread somewhere, where Mel did a poll - he listed the characteristics of the humors: choleric, phlegmatic, etc, and had folks list whether they thought they were swords, cups, etc. Then he revealed what element they actually were corresponding to - and the only one that people consistently got was that choleric = fire. So our understandings of the elements are very different now compared to the time of the development of the tarot. I find it all very confusing, but very interesting as well! :) Time will tell if I end up using his system.
Nina* said:
No. effing. kidding. :) My deck collection went into a mini-boom when I got involved with the TdM/pip deck thing. Off the top of my head, the only ones I'm missing now are the Dussere (or Flornoy, eventually) Dodal, and the Flornoy Jean Noblet (which doesn't appeal to me, in spite of it's extensive cheering section around here).
Onyx said:
Oh I know! I have been looking around and my initial thoughts that one unillustrated pips deck would esentially be like all the others, right?

Ummm . . . wrong! I think that there are some that are gorgeous, interesting and responsive, just from the scans!

Now add into it the desire to get a deck that is as historically correct and as close to the original then that is a whole other realm of desire. And not one that has energized my passion for RWS clones over the last couple of years. That is why I am going to be really stern with myself to keep my pledge to no new decks.

Onyx.
Good for you! I personally recommend the Hadar, if you find the colors appealing. One thing particularly nice about that deck is that the background is not stark white, but a light parchment color. It's easier on the eyes than the Jodo/Camoin (which I have in the mini, and carry around with me all the time.)

Nina*

sravana said:
No. effing. kidding. :) My deck collection went into a mini-boom when I got involved with the TdM/pip deck thing. Off the top of my head, the only ones I'm missing now are the Dussere (or Flornoy, eventually) Dodal, and the Flornoy Jean Noblet (which doesn't appeal to me, in spite of it's extensive cheering section around here).
Oh really?! I love the Noblet. Also the Camoin. I do not like the Hadar (had it twice and got rid of both) and don't care about the Dussere Dodal either.
My BESTEST favorite is the Vieville.

*thinking I'll have to try the IDS with the Vieville at some point*

Onyx

After a very interesting couple of hours reading posts in the Marseilles & Other Early Decks Forum, I have decided that I am taking part in a IDS with a Tarot of Unscenic Pips.

The ten pages of the "Defining TdM” seem to teach me the need for careful use of the term Tarot de Marseilles and when to hold my tongue all together.

I have to admit that I had very carelessly used the TdM name to describe nearly all decks that had unillustrated pips (which even as an idea is ridiculous, because every tarot card has some illustration on it.) So while I anxiously wait for my unscenic pip decks I am already learning a bunch about the idea of the TdM and the importance of the form, structure, images and for some the coloring and if the coloring is in the lines.

I am at the moment a bit torn about if I am even going to take on the forum at all. I have limited myself to only my journal and The Process as texts and I feel that the forum may be just like all the books I am trying to get away from.
So I think that I will limit myself to only contributing to forums as part of the expression of what I have or currently learning and not for research. I think that it will be far more productive to engage that forum once I have established what I am going to do with this type of deck first.

Man, that is a lot to learn on my first day and even without picking up a single card!

Onyx.

teomat

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm still a bit nervous about the whole IDS thing, as I always seem to change my mind (and deck) all the time!

rwcarter said:
Are you using the AGMueller Angel Tarot by Nikita Arnett & Lydia Oukhaneva, the Spanish Tarot de los Angeles or the Robert Place Angels Tarot? (I have all three of them, so just curious.)

Rodney
I'm using the one Erzebet linked to. It's a TdM 'inspired' deck (the majors and courts follow the Conver TdM style, though the pips are very different - but very appealing). It's got nothing to do with Angels. 'Angel' is the name of the company that printed it.

Rodney - I did a couple of posts in the Ancient Egyptian study group a few months ago (don't know if you remember?). Sorry I disappeared, but unfortunately 'life' butted in at the time. I still read your posts though, as I know I'll want to use the AET again some day (there I go! already thinking about my next deck!!:D).

onyx said:
I am at the moment a bit torn about if I am even going to take on the forum at all. I have limited myself to only my journal and The Process as texts and I feel that the forum may be just like all the books I am trying to get away from.
So I think that I will limit myself to only contributing to forums as part of the expression of what I have or currently learning and not for research. I think that it will be far more productive to engage that forum once I have established what I am going to do with this type of deck first.
The TdM forum is very informative, but a bit heavy going isn't it?

What I try to remember when I read the posts in there is that most of the stuff is purely speculative. You can agree or disagree with practically everything in there - something that's hard to do with the RWS or Thoth (which are a lot more defined IMO).

And for me, that's the beauty of the TdM. You can make it whatever you want it to be.

Onyx

teomat said:
The TdM forum is very informative, but a bit heavy going isn't it?

What I try to remember when I read the posts in there is that most of the stuff is purely speculative. You can agree or disagree with practically everything in there - something that's hard to do with the RWS or Thoth (which are a lot more defined IMO).

And for me, that's the beauty of the TdM. You can make it whatever you want it to be.

I have decided that the reason that I choose "TdM" was not really for the style or the structure but to get to the basics again and try to approach Tarot in a very clean and free way. I have after just the five years I have been studying and using Tarot crammed so much in my brain of what other people think and teach that I fear I have lost my own unique way of reading the cards.

That is why I love The Process and why I am pushing myself to clear away the excess and focus on the esssentials.

An example is the three of Wands, I know all the keywords, the esoteric title, the astrolgical associations, the placement of it on the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. Sure it is helpful, I just wonder if it is necessary. But then I have been feeling that the images on the card then seem to strangle some of the possibility of the cards meaning.

I don't think that this is a once and for all move to TdM but it is a necessary and honest attempt to encounter a more basic and thoughtful approach to reading.

Onyx.

rwcarter

teomat said:
I'm using the one Erzebet linked to. It's a TdM 'inspired' deck (the majors and courts follow the Conver TdM style, though the pips are very different - but very appealing). It's got nothing to do with Angels. 'Angel' is the name of the company that printed it.
All deck choices are welcome in the IDS. Even mis-named ones. :laugh:

teomat said:
Rodney - I did a couple of posts in the Ancient Egyptian study group a few months ago (don't know if you remember?). Sorry I disappeared, but unfortunately 'life' butted in at the time. I still read your posts though, as I know I'll want to use the AET again some day (there I go! already thinking about my next deck!!:D).
Teomat! Yes, I had forgotten. I've been the only one in that study group for so long that it doesn't bother me any more. I'm glad you're still enjoying the posts though.

I'm sticking with the AET at least until the Transparent Tarot comes out next month. Then all bets are off. :D

Rodney