Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Onyx

thorhammer said:
I can't seem to get into the swing of my other decks at the moment - I tried with the Circle of Life but I think that one's dead in the water :rolleyes: Sad, but there you go. \m/ Kat

I know what you mean about the Circle of Life. Wanted to like it so much. I wanted to use it and get to know it better but in the end it was just too odd, strange and the cards were just too big.

Good News!!!! I got my Fournier Marseille deck today and I love it already. The cards are made of the strangest stuff, I don't know, I think it might even be paper. How novel! Joking! I love the size and the colors are vibrant and the backs are calming. Very little border and a great size make this a contender in the race for the IDS. I am still anxious to get my 1JJ Swiss but it it takes much longer then it might just have to wait.

On a side note, I think that I will also be working with the Mona Lisa Tarot as well. I have gotten involved with it the last couple of days and can not put it down. I am pretty sure I am not going to be reading with it and will only be helping to study it. I also have doubts that this current interest will keep longer than say a month or so.

The TdM is still my primary focus and I am ready to get started!

Onyx.

thorhammer

Quantum James said:
I am beginning to feel that by not producing a companion book Negrini has actually done us a great favor!
That's something I feel about a lot of decks (most of which I don't have, mind you, the rest of which I haven't "studied" :rolleyes: because I'm lazy). Ones like the Hermetic, Mona Lisa, reVisioned and Liber T strike me as being very "grown up" but they're not going to give you anything for free. It's stuff you have to work through yourself, research, study, put it all together with a good dose of time and hard work, and maybe one day it'll all gel.

I'm just lazy, as I said :p

\m/ Kat

Promise

As much as I love my Greenwood, there were issues.

The first being that the cards are so large that I cannot shuffle comfortably anymore. It's absolutely impossible when I'm in my wrist brace (carpal tunnel is eeeeeevil!), and even when I'm without the brace, it just hurts to try to shuffle it.

Secondly, it's really more of a personal, oracular deck for me and not something I think I'd necessarily be comfortable using to read for others. And part of the IDS for me was learning to be more comfortable in reading for others. So it was quite counter-productive, no?

I've been falling in love with my Touchstone recently, and have started posting in the study group. I'm not sure if I want to commit to an official IDS again (since my track record is rather shotty), but I'm just kinda going with the flow right now and using whatever is comfortable for me.

Good luck to everyone!

sapienza

Quantum James said:
I know that sounds contradictory, but I think its because those cryptic minors do not explicitly narrate meanings as such - so your conscious mind never truly gets a conceptual hold of them, if that makes sense. There is more free play and always that slight mystery and confusion around those images which when i stopped fighting it has really opened up new possibilities.

I am beginning to feel that by not producing a companion book Negrini has actually done us a great favor!

Interesting. I've got the Liber T but have not used it at this stage. Thanks for sharing your experience with the minors because they've always seemed quite challenging (for want of a better word) to me. I'm sorry, I've joined this thread quite late and haven't read it in it's entirety, but I'm just wondering, did you use the Thoth before you picked up the Liber T, or not? Thanks, just curious :)

Quantum James

sapienza said:
I'm sorry, I've joined this thread quite late and haven't read it in it's entirety, but I'm just wondering, did you use the Thoth before you picked up the Liber T, or not? Thanks, just curious :)

Hi sapienza,

I did start with the Thoth but only for a short while before getting my Liber-T. I loved the Thoth system, but some (not all) of those cards are really badly painted (Sorry Frieda!). I am an artist, so I am probably over sensitive - but yeah... Ms. Harris needed some more life drawing classes in my opinion... And its the kind of thing I sit and mentally correct every time a look at the cards instead of reading them. Dont get me wrong she did some incredible cards in that deck, which even today, would be innovative...but the Prince of Swords yuk! (and its my court card)

I loved the Liber-T art for one thing and it has the Thoth system, which is very well supported with books and resources that plug in to Liber T (mostly) and its minors are cryptic - which is fun because you can get all Dan Brown with it :D

But I warn you once you start with it you might well disappear down the rabbit hole!

sapienza

Thanks for sharing QJ. I have to say I really struggle with the Prince of Swords myself, it seems as if it was never quite finished properly. Well, I'm definitely committed to the Thoth for now, but I have a copy of the Liber T on my shelf so who knows what will happen down the track. Those minors are very odd though...I'm sure they'd need an IDS to come to terms with, or not.

mosaica

I love seeing that several people are IDSing TdMs! If I could choose just one to work with, I'd be here, too! I guess you could say I've been IDSing the TdM style for five months. (Is that all? It feels much longer!) I'll be following Onyx's posts with interest.

I surfed in searching for posts on the Spanish Tarot (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/spanish/). I just received this deck in the mail two days ago, and ever since I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I really love the quaility of Fournier decks. (Collecting TdMs has really been a crap shoot!) The cardstock and colors are just so delicious!

Study on, everyone!
Mosaica

teomat

mosaica said:
I surfed in searching for posts on the Spanish Tarot (http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/spanish/). I just received this deck in the mail two days ago, and ever since I haven't been able to get it out of my head. I really love the quaility of Fournier decks. (Collecting TdMs has really been a crap shoot!) The cardstock and colors are just so delicious!

Study on, everyone!
Mosaica
I love the Spanish too!

I got both the Spanish and Noblet around the same time and although everyone raves about the Noblet as being full of character, to me it feels cold and seems to lack something. The Spanish IMO is far more quirky, weird and friendly.

And yes, the cardstock and size are just perfect.

Quantum James

sapienza said:
Those minors are very odd though...I'm sure they'd need an IDS to come to terms with, or not.

They ARE odd but like I was saying, once you begin delving into it, it opens up so many possibilities and becomes quite rewarding. I have just started but working with it every day feels like great adventure. They're not easy cards to read for others though. The 10 of cups can be tough to explain for instance...

Onyx

A couple of things

I am very excited to be using the TdM for my IDS. The major issue for me is to strip down my Tarot practice and the work to build it up again.

I have been so drawn to the pictorial pips because at first they are a great place to launch into Tarot. Also I have in the past looked at reading tarot spreads as a bit like reading a comic. Pictorial images that come together to tell a story. (This is part of my intrest in the Mona Lisa.)

Yet I am going to take a new look at reading when the potential meanings can come from the number or the esoteric key word or the coloring as an expression of the elemental association. I think that images are powerful communicators. But it comes down to the fact that I feel I am ready to go with out those training wheels for awhile. It will be new, different, and likely challenging but I feel that it is time to slay that dragon.

On a completely different note, I love the Liber T as well. I think the deck should come with a disclaimer. If you are casual with the deck you may find it difficult or odd. I found in my time with it that it gets under your skin. As you work with it the more you find your way. Now I have a very fond place for it even though it seems to come from a completely differnt place. I think that its strangeness helps me to see differently. Almost like taking a trip through you hometown with someone from another country. You begin to see the familiar with new eyes and in ways you never imagined.

Onyx.